Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elbow Problem
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Sep 17 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.243

This has been going on for some time with my right arm ( picking hand ) elbow.

For heavy riffs I find myself picking from the elbow. I am starting to notice little kinks and pains here and there from my elbow after playing them for awhile

Am I getting tendinitis ? I dont really know what to do because I pick that way to get that desired sound.

Can anyone give me some information on this.

Thanks.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djohnneay
post Sep 17 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6.760

Is it pain like your muscles tense up, or like when they are exhausted ? Also, is it continuous pain that doesn't go away ? Or does it go away after a while ?

If it doesn't go away, go see a docter, if it does, give it a good rest and re-check the way you pick these riffs to see if there is a non-painful way of doing so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Sep 17 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (djohnneay @ Sep 17 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Is it pain like your muscles tense up, or like when they are exhausted ? Also, is it continuous pain that doesn't go away ? Or does it go away after a while ?

If it doesn't go away, go see a docter, if it does, give it a good rest and re-check the way you pick these riffs to see if there is a non-painful way of doing so.

Its pain like my muscles on my elbow are tensing up.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post Sep 17 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7.145

Go see a real doctor in real person. Asking guitar players over the inter-web tubes for their medical opinions is a little bit scary.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Sep 17 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 17 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Go see a real doctor in real person. Asking guitar players over the inter-web tubes for their medical opinions is a little bit scary.

I planned it. Thanks for the reply smile.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
djohnneay
post Sep 18 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6.760

Of course you should always go see a real doctor when you've got a medical problem. But I see no harm in also asking this in a thread, to see if other people are dealing with this as well. His way of picking could be incorrect, and guitar players are more suitable for that kind of advice then doctors.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
post Sep 18 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 5.367

There are generally two schools of thought on how to deal with tendenitis - one is to rest the arm until it gets better, the other is to work through it but reduce the stress and increase stretching exercises. I went through a bout of tendinitis about a year ago after doing a number of exercises associated with alternate picking. It developed slowly over a period of about a month where it didn't really bother me much when I was playing but it hurt when doing other things around the house - but it was definitely associated with playing guitar. With all this new stuff and the excitement of learning new riffs, I would really tense up during the faster and more difficult spots. I took a week off and it did nothing to help so I started doing light exercises trying to keep my arm relaxed as much as possible. The guitar exercises I played at slower speeds (which is fine and now my preference rather than trying for speed) and within a month, it essentially disappeared. It still occassionally twinges and I use that as a good warning to slow down and relax.

Nevertheless, your problem may be different so getting medical advice cannot hurt.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2017 - 02:45 AM