mhskeide
post Sep 19 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.482

Hi guys

Today I might start my long awaited paintjob on my poor Aria tongue.gif

But before I start, I have one final answer: Is it necessary to remove the paint inside the guitar? I mean, no one is going to see, and it`s quite tricky to paint as well. I mean, there will be a pickguard or other hardware ccovering it all anyways, so what`s the point blink.gif ?

I can upload a pic later today where I can show exactly where I`m pointing.

--------------------
"Some epic qoute" - Epic dude
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrk
post Sep 19 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 723

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Sep 19 2009, 11:47 AM) *
Hi guys

Today I might start my long awaited paintjob on my poor Aria tongue.gif

But before I start, I have one final answer: Is it necessary to remove the paint inside the guitar? I mean, no one is going to see, and it`s quite tricky to paint as well. I mean, there will be a pickguard or other hardware ccovering it all anyways, so what`s the point blink.gif ?

I can upload a pic later today where I can show exactly where I`m pointing.

Hm .. it's for sure not necessary, but i guess it depends on how much of a perfectionist some is smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Sep 19 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

QUOTE (wrk @ Sep 19 2009, 11:48 AM) *
Hm .. it's for sure not necessary, but i guess it depends on how much of a perfectionist some is smile.gif

Exactly that!!!
Personally, once you've painted the body why not install some Copper Shielding and cover it all up anyway???
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
mhskeide
post Sep 19 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #4

Experienced Tone Guru

Member No.: 5.482

Actually, I am kinda a perfectionist, so that`s why I havent yet decided smile.gif

I also fooled around with a maybe extremely stupid idea tongue.gif

Buy me an aluminum plate, cut it out so it fits the body and screw on for a pretty unique touch. It would of course demand some work, but imagine how cool it could be biggrin.gif

(An old (as in age laugh.gif ) friend of mine gave me the idea, after telling me he built his own guitar entirely of aluminum once (except the neck I think). He might have bluffed me, but sounded convincing. Any of you heard of something similar?

--------------------
"Some epic qoute" - Epic dude

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Sep 19 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Sep 19 2009, 01:11 PM) *
(An old (as in age laugh.gif ) friend of mine gave me the idea, after telling me he built his own guitar entirely of aluminum once (except the neck I think). He might have bluffed me, but sounded convincing. Any of you heard of something similar?

Aluminum guitars exist for sure, it's no hoax smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
post Sep 19 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #6

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 6.104

I was at the guitar shop the other day and a guy brought in an all metal bass. Not sure what kind of metal it was. But even the neck was metal. It was all one piece. Pretty cool.

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Sep 19 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #7

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

I did several painting jobs on my guitars looong time ago, if You are going for perfection, its not an easy task... I remember using just cellulousa paint and then bout 15 layers of clear laquer, I didn't had a machine for polishing the laquer after it was sanded down, so it took me bout 2-3 weeks to get it proper... I guess its possible to get the same result with acrylic car paint, but if it shall be perfect, it shall.... *lol*
And I would also wrap up some aluminium inside anyway....
Good Luck!

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Sep 19 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #8

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Sep 19 2009, 12:11 PM) *
Actually, I am kinda a perfectionist, so that`s why I havent yet decided smile.gif

I also fooled around with a maybe extremely stupid idea tongue.gif

Buy me an aluminum plate, cut it out so it fits the body and screw on for a pretty unique touch. It would of course demand some work, but imagine how cool it could be biggrin.gif

If you are such a perfectionist then I'd just suggest sanding the inside before painting but then still installing some shielding AFTER painting but you should be able to get a really nice flat finish on the shielding too!!! biggrin.gif

I've seen quite a few guitars finished with Aluminum. Whether it was Chequerplate fronts or anodised different colours etc.....
For a solid aluminum bodied guitar do a search for a 'Tokai Talbo'!! ( I think it was the first production guitar with an Ally body!)
Travis Bean and Kramer guitars used to have Aluminum Necks for stability and there have been a few 'One off' or 'Short run' productions by other companies!
Then there's custom builders that produce things like this:_

And also this Italian guy who produces guitars with Aluminum bodies and Carbon Fibre necks!!!!
3 GUITARS!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 06:26 AM