Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 7 String Tuning
MickeM
post Mar 8 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #1

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.062

I don't have a 7 stringer but am thinking of getting one so I wonder... Playing Dream Theater's These Walls could be done with an Ibanez tuned in ADGCFAD (it's in the key of A)

But as an alternative to getting an Ibanez that comes in that factory tuning I wonder how well these beasts are to detune? Meaning, could I also tune the Ibanez BEADGBE? The Schecter's come tuned like that.
Do I have to change to thicker strings?

So the next valid question on how to perform "These Walls" would be, can I tune the Schecter up to ADGCFAD and still sound good? unsure.gif

EDIT: Now I'm unsure if not the Ibanez (RG7321) also comes with an extra B string...
Enlighten me!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Mar 8 2007, 11:41 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
post Mar 9 2007, 07:54 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 862

I'm sure the factory tuning is doesn't matter, and you can tune any guitar you want to any tuning you want, floating trem or not(so don't worry about factory tuning! wink.gif ) . Usually you're gonna want thicker strings for lower tunings, and you'll also have to loosen spring tension(for a trem). If you're getting a fixed bridge guitar, you can pretty much pull off any tuning you want with those.

EDIT: Now I'm unsure if not the Ibanez (RG7321) also comes with an extra B string...
Enlighten me!

I'm not sure what you mean, do you think the guitar comes with 2 low B strings? I don't think it matters bro.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Mar 9 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Mar 9 2007, 07:54 AM) *
I'm not sure what you mean, do you think the guitar comes with 2 low B strings? I don't think it matters bro.

Just one B additional string. Standard tuning + one B string. (B/E/A/D/G/B/E)
Ny big confusion settled in when I saw that "These walls" was in the key of A (just tune down a whole step) and at the same time I looked at Ibanez guitars at their site (signatures from Korn) and they were tuned lower... in A so they were suitable for the song "These Walls".

QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Mar 9 2007, 07:54 AM) *
don't worry about factory tuning!

Thanks buddy! You can't imagine how helpful that small comment was. I was just complicating things, which I realize now. Had a look at all the guitars again and the tuning on Scecter, Ibanez etc is all the same - B/E/A/D/G/B/E - only with different levels of down tuning.

Now all that remains is to find a guitar cool.gif
And I'm looking for some cheap stuff, I spent too much on amps and guitars already (according to my wife).
Any ideas about any of these? Of course I'd like one three times expensive but that's not going to be the case here.

Schecter Omen 7

Ibanez RG7321

ESP LTD SC-207

Anyone got info about this? So cheap I have to wonder - what's wrong with it?
Dean Vendetta 1.7

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
post Mar 9 2007, 12:07 PM
Post #4

Yeah, it's basically a 6 string + 1 low string. So you'll have no problem playing 6 string songs on it.

For the guitar, I would go with the Ibanez. It's probably a better quality guitar than the rest.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 11 2007, 03:44 AM
Post #5

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

Dont buy 7 Strings with a Floyd or Double locking trem unless you plan on keeping it in one tuning, i bought a cheap little $200 7 string washburn, and its fixed bridge so i can mess with all sorts of tunings, and for $200, its pretty decent. more so actually

+Quote Post
n0x
post Mar 11 2007, 03:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 951

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 11 2007, 06:44 AM) *
Dont buy 7 Strings with a Floyd or Double locking trem unless you plan on keeping it in one tuning, i bought a cheap little $200 7 string washburn, and its fixed bridge so i can mess with all sorts of tunings, and for $200, its pretty decent. more so actually

My friend recently bought an Ibanez U777BK steve vai universe 7-string guitar. It comes equipped with an edge-pro 7 floating bridge. It is absolutely amazing, u can mess with tunings easily and it stays in tune no matter how much u abuse the bar, etc. He tunes down to C or even A sometimes. Perhaps the standard Floyd Rose bridges are bad, but not the 'Edge Pro' series.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
post Mar 11 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Honestly you can mess around with tunings with any guitar with a good floating trem, if you know what you're doing. Edge Pro, Kahler, and Floyd Roses work very well, any generic trem "licensed to Floyd Rose patents", may be harder to work with. But fixed bridge is faster.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Mar 11 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 11 2007, 03:44 AM) *

Right now I'm aiming for the Ibanez RG7321 with a fixed bridge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 13 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Tuning isn't hard with a floating bridge, its just that you have to adjust the bridge tension, and if you mess up, which i did the first few times, it can take like 15 minutes to tune, BUT, If you could afford a steve vai Universe seven string, you know, because you have the spare $2000-$2500, then buy it.

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Mar 13 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 13 2007, 01:59 AM) *
Tuning isn't hard with a floating bridge, its just that you have to adjust the bridge tension, and if you mess up, which i did the first few times, it can take like 15 minutes to tune, BUT, If you could afford a steve vai Universe seven string, you know, because you have the spare $2000-$2500, then buy it.

I got one Ibanez and one Charvel with Floyd Rose so I'm quite used to that, it was a pain in the a$$ getting it right the first time but that was like 15 years ago with the Charvel so I'm past that.
I must say the Steve Vai Universe is tempting but does not fit my budget. 500 Euro is probably more like it, the budget went haywire when I got my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade head + cabinet + some effect pedals earlier this year. Now it would be difficult to convince the wife I need a guitar for 2000 Euro. laugh.gif

But I agree with you totally, the Steve Vai Universe would be something. ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 13 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Ive played the JEMs in the Sam Ash music store by my house, and they are so comfortable, the neck moves like butter, and it has great fret access, and the sound of it through the marshall i was playing through was God-Like

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 02:34 PM