How Does He Do It?
Braer
Oct 7 2009, 01:19 PM
GMC:er

how do he do the ending of the lick at 3:19?? its awsome

he also does it here:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Braer: Oct 7 2009, 01:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 7 2009, 01:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Braer @ Oct 7 2009, 02:19 PM) *
how do he do the ending of the lick at 3:19?? its awsome

I think he's just hitting the low E and at the same time presses the trem to the bottom....

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Braer
Oct 7 2009, 03:25 PM
you can see he dosent use his right hand

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 7 2009, 03:35 PM
Sounds to me like he's hitting the Harmonic and then pushing on the back of the neck to lower the note.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Shadow21
Oct 7 2009, 03:40 PM
I think it's a falanger or a phaser pedal that he uses, you can see how he kicks it in. It's a cool sound (:

Hope this helped you mate!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 7 2009, 04:05 PM
Instructor
Sounds also like one of those Digitech Whammy pedals, not sure.
But you can get pretty much the same effect with whammy bar,
hit open low E and press bar down. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 8 2009, 01:51 PM
Instructor
It's some kind of a pedal not sure what he uses tho, could be Whammy could be something else.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Shadow21
Oct 8 2009, 03:56 PM
Again, it's a falanger pedal (:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bVp0wKAzeM

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 8 2009, 04:12 PM
Shadow is likely correct, though the spelling is Flanger. Paul is pretty well known for using fixed bridge, so the trem is out. He's also put his name on a signature airplane flanger from Ibanez.

He's also not shy about reaching for the tuner of his 6th string, we've seen him do that on stage; perhaps it wasn't captured in the video.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Shadow21
Oct 8 2009, 07:03 PM
I allways thought it was falanger... lol, I can't even read properly haha

This post has been edited by Shadow21: Oct 8 2009, 07:04 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 8 2009, 07:54 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Oct 8 2009, 04:12 PM) *
Shadow is likely correct, though the spelling is Flanger.

I concur with the Flanger theory now! having re-watched it and also Shadow's link it's his 'extreme flanging' setting!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 8 2009, 08:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Long time ago there was some weird kind of thing You mounted on the back of the guitar, and when You stretch the guitar strap, it worked as a tremolo bar.... but i never heard tgat Paul Gilbert was using such stuff, or anyone else at all, cuz it made the whole guitar go out of tune... In the second video he pushes the corner of the guitar with his chest, I guess he is doing that in order to keep the body fixed when he heavily pushes the neck forward. It doesnt really sounds like a flanger to me.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 8 2009, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 8 2009, 08:09 PM) *
Long time ago there was some weird kind of thing You mounted on the back of the guitar, and when You stretch the guitar strap, it worked as a tremolo bar.... but i never heard tgat Paul Gilbert was using such stuff, or anyone else at all, cuz it made the whole guitar go out of tune... In the second video he pushes the corner of the guitar with his chest, I guess he is doing that in order to keep the body fixed when he heavily pushes the neck forward. It doesnt really sounds like a flanger to me.

//Staffay

You're thinking of The 'B Bender'!!! They also did one that bent the G as well so that you could do Harmony Bends!!! Loads of Country players still use them!
Check out the vid that Shadow posted and you'll see what Paul does with a flanger to get that kind of effect!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 8 2009, 08:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 8 2009, 09:16 PM) *
You're thinking of The 'B Bender'!!! They also did one that bent the G as well so that you could do Harmony Bends!!! Loads of Country players still use them!
Check out the vid that Shadow posted and you'll see what Paul does with a flanger to get that kind of effect!!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, thats the name! I never heard or seen a player who uses them, on the other hand i'm not a big country fan either.. hmm, I've listen to the vid shadow posted, it sounds kinda similar but I am still convinced that he's doin something with the guitar itself. And isn't this an old instruction vid ??? Was there any flangers around by then that can do this effect? Van Halen did it in -77 with his whammy though....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 9 2009, 12:55 AM
Instructor
I doubt it was Flanger or at least not some ordinary type of Flanger,
maybe he had a modified pedal or som
but Flanger as Flanger certainly doesn't do things like that. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 9 2009, 02:02 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 8 2009, 06:55 PM) *
I doubt it was Flanger or at least not some ordinary type of Flanger,
maybe he had a modified pedal or som
but Flanger as Flanger certainly doesn't do things like that. smile.gif

You mean like the Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger we keep talking about?

Also of note: he often will use the tuner itself for that effect!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 10 2009, 12:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Oct 9 2009, 03:02 AM) *
You mean like the Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger we keep talking about?

Also of note: he often will use the tuner itself for that effect!

Hardly, that is pretty new pedal and video is from 80s. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Oct 10 2009, 01:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 10 2009, 06:54 AM) *
Hardly, that is pretty new pedal and video is from 80s. smile.gif

I do believe that I seen an interview with him where he explained that he used to have the airplane flanger that he had built back in the 80's and it either was broken or it became difficult to use live. So he had Ibanez create his new pedal flanger. I believe the other one was a bigger box about the size of a small laptop with dials on the front. I believe it was a one of a kind. Now the new flanger pedal is available to everyone smile.gif

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:07 AM