Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording Help
ruben_mcn
post Oct 12 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.681

Hi, i want to record my self playn with some good quality .. rigth now i only use a crappy mic(the sound comes out realy crappy and realy low) and my mobile cam and mixit up with windows movie maker... ive heard lots of peaple talking about some line 6 stuff i don´t know .. can anyone give me some tips on some good gear ??? (i was thinkin in something like this --» http://line6.com/products/recording/ but i don´t know wich one and a web cam will do the trick for the video)

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Oct 12 2009, 02:00 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 12 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

If you want to record guitars only (going straight to the recording interface and using amps/cabs modeling which is good!) - I would recommend Line6 Pod Studio GX. If you need a Mic recording option too then get the Pod Studio Ux1. I use Ux2 for all my home recording needs. Its a really good interface regarding price, ease of use and versatility.

Once you get it you can install a free recording software like Reaper and record your guitar tracks with "no latency" and in good quality.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
post Oct 12 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 7.681

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 12 2009, 01:59 PM) *
If you want to record guitars only (going straight to the recording interface and using amps/cabs modeling which is good!) - I would recommend Line6 Pod Studio GX. If you need a Mic recording option too then get the Pod Studio Ux1. I use Ux2 for all my home recording needs. Its a really good interface regarding price, ease of use and versatility.

Once you get it you can install a free recording software like Reaper and record your guitar tracks with "no latency" and in good quality.

Thanks... i only want to record guitar .. my voice really REALLY SUCKS XD

Anything about the GuitarPort ????

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Oct 12 2009, 02:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 12 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Oct 12 2009, 03:01 PM) *
Thanks... i only want to record guitar .. my voice really REALLY SUCKS XD

Then GX version will do the job fine (and its cheap)! I recommend it. UX1 has a mic preamp so you can record anything with a mic where for GX version you need to by separate mic preamp if you want to record something with a microphone.

Guitar port should be same as Pod Studio GX and they use same modeling software I guess but its an older interface. It will do a job nicely but try to find a new Pod Studio GX (aka older name Toneport GX).

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 12 2009, 02:04 PM

--------------------
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Matt23
post Oct 12 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #5

Accomplished Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 3.866

The whole Line6 POD and Toneport series will let your record good quality audio. You can check the different features in the products yourself, but in general:

POD Studio Series+Toneport: Something that allows you to get your guitar signal going directly to your computer, where you can edit the tone using software on the computer.

POD Express, 2.0, XT, X3: Portable bits of equipment that can be connected to the computer via usb. You can edit the tone on the POD or the computer with these, so you can use them anywhere.

POD Live/Floor Series: These are essentially the POD 2.0, XT and X3, but with pedals, so you can use them whilst playing.

If you are sure you won't want to use the POD anywhere but your computer then go for one of the Studio/Toneport. If you think you might want to use the POD elsewhere then go for the POD Express, 2.0, XT, or X3. If you're going to be doing gigs with the POD then go for one of the POD Lives.

Also if you have an amp, then it will probably have a REC out, or Phones socket. If you get the cable of the right size, then you can connect that to the line in socket of your computer and record good audio that way.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Oct 13 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

I suggest POD Studio UX1. It's a 2 channel interface, one channel having instrument input, and the other one having mic preamp. You get modeling software with it (POD Farm).

As for webcam, many users here use Logitech Pro 9000, it seems to be working very nice.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
post Oct 14 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #7

GMC:er

Member No.: 6.124

like everyone else said, the toneports or pod studios are the way to go! i got them when they first came out, and i still use it to connect my mic -> mic pre amp -> toneport -> computer for recording....works great!

as for a camera, you can go three ways:

1- web cam...like others have mentioned, the Logitech Pro 9000 is a GMC standard thats around $100-120 USD

2- Mini HD cameras like the Flip which record to a SD card then transfer striaght to the computer. it records with video settings set to be optimal for youtube. they run from $120-150 USD

3- get a DV camera they offer the best quality for the price (they are so cheap because everyone is making the move to digital. the only bad part is to record with out a firewire cable, you need mini TV tapes which are cheap, but sometimes inconvenient. however, you can get really good quality and features for one about the same price as the above (you have to look harder for these as well) <- this is the one i use and it works great.

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 16 2009, 12:01 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

For video solution I would recommend (if you have firewire in your PC) a Sony (or Panasonic, Canon) miniDV camcorder. MiniDV is old but prooven and high quality standard (records on miniDV cassette tapes). Those cams have firewire connection option so you can stream and directly record signal from it on your PC.
Camcorder will give you best video results.
Regarding web cam I can definitly recommend Logitech Pro 9000 which many GMC:ers use! It will give you great results too and may be easier solution to setup.

--------------------

+Quote Post
josuegda
post Oct 20 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.639

Hello,

I have one doubt: when you record the song, how do you syncronice with the video?

Kind regards.

+Quote Post
zen
post Oct 20 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 3.995

QUOTE (josuegda @ Oct 20 2009, 09:56 AM) *
Hello,

I have one doubt: when you record the song, how do you syncronice with the video?

Kind regards.

I use Windows Movie Maker.. Comes free with Windows XP.. Give it a go to sync your video and audio together

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
maharzan
post Oct 20 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #11

Veteran Guitar Lord

Member No.: 7.127

Since they will be separate tracks.. just drag around each to find a perfect sync.. The other way would be to look at the waveform from both video/audio and your separate audio track to trace that spikes (which will be exact). But I usually do the first and hopefully they are good till now. smile.gif then I mute the original audio that comes with video.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Oct 20 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

QUOTE (josuegda @ Oct 20 2009, 09:56 AM) *
Hello,

Kind regards.

We (instructors) use Sony Vegas when working on lessons,
it's great for editing and has cool options when it comes for rendering.
Windows Movie Maker or iMovie (pre-installed PC and Mac solutions)
might do the job as well, depends on how deep you wanna go with editing and everything.
Watching waveforms (as maharzan said) is very useful
IF you recorded audio along with video.
In case if you mimed whole audio, well, then you would have to watch and listen
closely to find perfect sync. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 01:54 PM