Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speedpicking Triumph!, (Well for me anyway)
Andrew Cockburn
post Mar 12 2007, 02:54 AM
Post #1

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

Hah ! After diligent practicing for at least 6 weeks on part I, I decided to have a look at part II and III of Kris' speedpicking 101 lesson - all of a sudden a light came on, in terms of how you put simple patterns together to make monster runs - all of a sudden it all made sense! I immediately sat down and put together a 24 note 16th triplet run into a song I am practicing on at the moment - it sounds awesome (to me at least), and while I won't be winning any prizes for speed any time soon (its 140bpm but I'm really playing half speed 8ths), all of a sudden I see the fretboard opening up in front of me ... a real defining moment, I thought I'd like to share - thanks Kris!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AIB234
post Mar 12 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.303

Congrats Andrew!

I hope I can be close to that in 6 weeks!

Were you doing this playing pentatonic scales after weeks of memorizing the patterns and switching box to box?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Mar 12 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (AIB234 @ Mar 11 2007, 10:12 PM) *
Congrats Andrew!

I hope I can be close to that in 6 weeks!

Were you doing this playing pentatonic scales after weeks of memorizing the patterns and switching box to box?

Thanks!

I've been playing for years, so I know my way around the fretboard pretty well already, but play mostly pentatonic legato - I've been specifically working on the speedpicking stuff for 6 weeks or so, since joining this site. The speedpicking breakthrough for me was taking simple patterns and stringing them together - it never occurred to me before. I was always trying to play scales up and down which is harder. I have been working a lot with major scales recently, so this was based on them, not pentatonic - triplets are a lot harder in pentatonic as well, as you only get 2 notes per string.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
AIB234
post Mar 12 2007, 03:40 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.303

That's cool.

I guess I'll just keep working on memorizing my patterns and the freedom to jam will come with time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 12 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #5

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

That's really great to hear Andrew! biggrin.gif

I hope this will inspire others to have a go at that serie too!

Kristofer

--------------------

+Quote Post
browq
post Mar 12 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.141

Congrats!

I'm also practising these series a lot. And if you want some extra fun, Cause you seem to understand the licks in these series, Is take a look at pavels rock & rythem second lesson, there's an interesting pattern there that goes decending on the fretboard but the notes are acending....Sounds really cool

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Mar 12 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (browq @ Mar 12 2007, 06:18 AM) *
Congrats!

I'm also practising these series a lot. And if you want some extra fun, Cause you seem to understand the licks in these series, Is take a look at pavels rock & rythem second lesson, there's an interesting pattern there that goes decending on the fretboard but the notes are acending....Sounds really cool

Haven't seen that lesson yet - I'll check it out thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 08:33 AM