2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lukather Style Collaboration, who joins?
jafomatic
post Nov 8 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.145

Here's a funny story, and if you're struggling with the ending of your collaboration take you'll want to read it.

I can't count while I play. As a result I also don't even try to count while I play. Fortunately, most of the time we're playing in 4/4 and so I don't need to count. However: I just bashed my head in for hours trying to figure out why I can't resolve the second half of this arrangement until two bars after the drums stop. Care to know the reason?

The arrangement is two bars short. The first two are drums-only and appear to be used for clicks/lead in/count-off/whatever you call it. The clicks are then followed by 16 bars of verse in what sounds like D, E, F#min and 16 measures feels just right in common time (4/4, 4/4, 4/4, 4/4 == 16). Those 16 bars are then followed by only 14 bars of chorus. Now, call me crazy, but I'm ready to end the melody either 2 bars early or 2 bars late.

Any recommendations?

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
post Nov 8 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #22

Experienced Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.135

I'm ready to end the melody either 2 bars early or 2 bars late.

End it two bars early, or two bars late of your instinct. You should be right on the money. cool.gif This is me NOT being helpful. *ducking*

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Nov 8 2009, 05:47 AM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
post Nov 10 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #23

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 3.056

I have recorded atleast 7 takes, gonna try to polish it up completly before turning it in, but I'll put it in the topic today smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Jonathan Burgos
post Nov 14 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.551

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 8 2009, 12:36 AM) *
Here's a funny story, and if you're struggling with the ending of your collaboration take you'll want to read it.

I can't count while I play. As a result I also don't even try to count while I play. Fortunately, most of the time we're playing in 4/4 and so I don't need to count. However: I just bashed my head in for hours trying to figure out why I can't resolve the second half of this arrangement until two bars after the drums stop. Care to know the reason?

The arrangement is two bars short. The first two are drums-only and appear to be used for clicks/lead in/count-off/whatever you call it. The clicks are then followed by 16 bars of verse in what sounds like D, E, F#min and 16 measures feels just right in common time (4/4, 4/4, 4/4, 4/4 == 16). Those 16 bars are then followed by only 14 bars of chorus. Now, call me crazy, but I'm ready to end the melody either 2 bars early or 2 bars late.

Any recommendations?

Ho! sorry Jafomatic! I did not see this part. But you finish your work. well done.

--------------------

Check out my LESSONS
Check my music at MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Nov 14 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #25

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Nov 8 2009, 04:36 AM) *
Any recommendations?

Hey, cut ot the two bars with drums in the DAW, and You will be in time, then after the takes, just put them back again... :-) Or set the left locator to begin when the instruments join the drums....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post Nov 15 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 7.145

QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 14 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Hey, cut ot the two bars with drums in the DAW, and You will be in time, then after the takes, just put them back again... :-) Or set the left locator to begin when the instruments join the drums....

//Staffay

that would leave 16 bars + 14 bars. Cutting the drums is what made the problem to begin with. If you don't realize the first two bars are drums, it's 32 measures. See how cutting the drums wouldn't help? I was already ignoring them correctly as a count-in, as you can hear in my take.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 07:52 PM