> F-spaced Evolution Humbuckers
tonyparnham
post Oct 29 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.340

Hi everyone,
I am intending to buy an Ibanez RG 2570 MZ guitar with the new trem system (Zero Point) and it has IBZ pickups on it, however I have read a couple of recommendations to perhaps upgrade the pickups so I was thinking in terms of the Evolution DP 158 and 159 which are on the 7v-wh Steve Vai and which I like the sound of.
I have just contacted 'thoman' and they have told me they are 'F- Spaced' I did'nt know what this meant and asked them to clarify and they said, these pickups have spacings other than a normal humbucker but are the same dimensions.... so presumably the strings will not be in line with the pole pieces.
Is this correct?
Can some one enlighten me on this I AM CONFUSED.
Regards Tony

This post has been edited by tonyparnham: Oct 29 2009, 11:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artemus
post Oct 29 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #2

Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 6.743

The pole pieces of the humbucker are slightly wider apart for F-spaced buckers. It came about from the difference in string spacing between Gibson and Fender guitars - Gibsons had a smaller spacing then the Fender's. The use of Floyd Rose trems in the Fenders then lead to the term "F-spaced".
Generally, if your strings are spaced 53mm or more at the bridge, it's recommended to use a F-spaced humbucker so that the pole pieces are more aligned under the strings.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Oct 29 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

F-spaced is for Fender or Floyd Rose spaced, meaning the pickups is wider than a standard pickup (53mm instead of 50). The string spacing on tremolo guitars is wider so you need an F spaced pickup to have the right alignment of polepieces under the strings.

Also F-spaced pickups are usually a bit flatter and have shorter mounting legs to fit under a tremolo guitar.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Gilmore
post Oct 29 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2.932

I have DiMarzio Evolution F-Spaced pickups in my 2570 and they fit perfectly and sound GREAT.....many many levels above the stock IBZ.

And by the way the F-spaced thing is mostly cosmetic issue. But F-spaced pups are the ones for the 2570.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
tonyparnham
post Oct 29 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7.340

Thanks to everyone for their input on this I understand perfectly now.
Regards and thanks again Tony.

Gilmore please check your pm box.
Regards Tony

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 02:46 AM