Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In The Style Of Gary Moore Lesson
Gary
post Nov 4 2009, 05:11 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.438

Attempt at playing Piotr Kaczor's "In the Style of Gary Moore - Ballad and Blues" Lesson. Created using my 09 Fender Malmsteen Stratocaster through the Pandora PX5D. I recorded two guitar tracks in an attempt to get some depth to the lead. Aware that my playing is a bit out of sequence at the end unsure.gif I think I can fix this by matching the tracks up in Reaper.. Once I do that I will repost.

Interested in feedback.

Thanks in advance smile.gif

Attached File  blues_2x.mp3 ( 1.49MB ) Number of downloads: 221

Gary
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
post Nov 4 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

I think it's very nice wink.gif The only thing I hear is that sometimes you wait a bar to long before you start playing, and then the rest that follows isn't of time, but it's in a different time, you get me? For instance, if I remember correctly, Piotr starts the first note a click earlier, so the whole first part sounds different. It's not out of time, just different timing wink.gif

But that's all, sound's good, maybe a bit thin. Overall, nice take wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
post Nov 7 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 3.915

I agree with Kaz on this take Gary.

You played it well but the timing was off. It sounds like maybe this was caused by latency when you recorded because it's consistent in how off it is, if that makes since. Open up the DAW and slide your whole track back one beat and see what you think. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Artemus
post Nov 8 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #4

Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 6.743

Great effort!
With regard to the timing issue, I can hear a stereo delay effect. The delay time could do with being a lot shorter because it sounds like an overdubbed track that's out of sync too far. As mentioned, the track may be out of sync itself. In any case,
if you play with that kind of effect on it will only confuse the sounds that you hear and there'll be lots of timing difficulties, no matter how strictly you try to keep the beat.
I'd recommend stripping any effects off until you can get every single note crystal clear, then dial in any effects but only in tiny amounts. A small delay can go a long way smile.gif
This is a deceptively difficult piece. Seriously, I struggled more with this one than with some sweep picking/tapping/shredding up n down solos because in this piece you have to make every single note sing and stand out for themselves.
Keep up the good work and keep the takes coming.
Look forward to hearing more. *thumbs up*

This post has been edited by Artemus: Nov 8 2009, 02:37 AM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Gary
post Nov 8 2009, 06:40 AM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.438

Thanks to all for the analysis.. spot on in every case. I knew that I missed the timing in the beginning and had some out of sequence playing towards the end. Now that I listen more intently it's easily discernable that there are timing issues throughout.

I am bit confused about something so any advice given is appreciated. I am a noobi, in fact that this take of Piotr's song is the first go I have had at recording. That being said.. I have read numerous post here when folks recommend adding in effects post recording. I am assuming this is done by recording the take clean (no effects) and then using the DAW software to add in delay, distortion etc. It seems that this would be hard to do because the effects provide sustain or duration to the notes. The concern here is that if a clean take was created in perfect time and then effects added in it would change the duration of notes, and as such cause the recording to not sound correct. Maybe my thought process here is illogical?

Also wondering about recording multiple takes and rendering those into a single file. I had read that it was common to do this with professional recordings so I thought I would see how it worked out laugh.gif I initially liked the sound better but after listening to the recording intently I have come to the conclusion that this was not a great idea. As stated it is very had to match up playing exactly, with the only recourse being the utilization of the DAW software to map up the takes exactly.

Thanks for the kind words and advice,
Gary

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Nov 29 2009, 03:41 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.694

Good take overall!

There are some timing issues just before it changes to 6/8 and at the end

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 05:52 AM