Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Locking Tuners + Strat
OrganisedConfusi...
post Dec 3 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.401

It's my Parker Nitefly guitars that never go out of tune and seriously they never go out of tune. They have locking tuners on them also.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
post Dec 3 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #22

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

I think that may be your playing and possibly string gauge Staffay biggrin.gif I pretty much experience the same as OC, guitar will stay in tune for a long time, using 10s and not much whammy.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Dec 3 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #23

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 3 2009, 10:28 PM) *
I think that may be your playing and possibly string gauge Staffay biggrin.gif I pretty much experience the same as OC, guitar will stay in tune for a long time, using 10s and not much whammy.

Hehe... Maybe its so.... I use really heavy strings and bend them a lot.... i'm also kinda rude to the poor whammy sometimes.... laugh.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Gary
post Dec 4 2009, 05:23 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 4.438

Aloha Robert,

Thanks very much for the quaility input. I am reviewing the information you provided..very helpful. When you installed the Sperzals did you need to open or re-drill the hole in the headstock or was it a simple installation w/o any mods to the guitar? From what I have been able to gather it seems that the Schallers mount without modification of the head stock while the Sperzals do require modification to the head stock.

It may seem trivial, however, when I replaced the tuners on my 79 strat I used a brand that did not have a matching hole pattern. I ended up drilling new mounting holes for the required screw and not using the existing two screw holes that were used to mount the original "F" tuners. Really wish now that I would not have done that as the guitar is completely original except for those holes. it's a little thing but...

Mahalo! wink.gif

Gary

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
post Dec 4 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 4.835

Aloha Gary,
I should have made it clear that the Sperzals are on my 335... unsure.gif
Let us all know how this turns out! And I'm with you on the drilling holes in the guitar, it's best if you don't have to. I ordered a mint green guard for the strat and one of the screw holes is in the wrong place@! go figure, anyway I didn't notice this until I had re assembled most of the new guard, having moved the pick ups and what not... so I called the shop I ordered from and the guy suggested I drill a new hole. I decided not to just 'cause, and now my new guard has one hole with no screw in it. I guess it gives it character... rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Hammerhead: Dec 4 2009, 07:06 AM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
post Dec 4 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 4.835

Gary,
One more note (HA!) but one of the nice features of the bridge stabilization is that when you bend notes, especially double stops, the bridge now acts like a hard tail, and the other notes don't change pitch! SO if you've noticed that it can be hard to bend two notes together, this system locks it all in place so that the whole bridge doesn't move when you bend. Hipshot has a tutorial that explains what I mean if I'm not making sense with all of this, but when you bend a string all of the strings go out of pitch because the whole bridge moves. This way you can go back to a floating bridge (which is really nice) and still bend away like a banshee (which is where the YM Strat shines). cool.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 9 2009, 02:16 AM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

I have stock tuners on my US Standard Strat, and I never had any detuning problems. My style of playing involves frequent heavy bends and one & half step bends, and the guitar stays in tune. There were some cases that the guitar will go out of tune in a song, but I just retune the string with the tuner, and again, no problems at all. I think same would happen with better tuners, it's not theirs fault that the string was stretched out.
Ball bearing nut, along side with HQ two-point tremolo is more important for upgrade on strat IMHO.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 9 2009, 02:17 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 03:44 AM