Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boss Blues Driver Or Tube Screamer
Littlewing76
post Dec 6 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 8.118

Looking for the best pedal for a good hendrix blues tone. Blues driver and Tube Screamer are two ive been looking at, but not sure which one i like better. If you got another pedal you would suggest let me know
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Dec 6 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #2

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

QUOTE (Littlewing76 @ Dec 6 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Looking for the best pedal for a good hendrix blues tone. Blues driver and Tube Screamer are two ive been looking at, but not sure which one i like better. If you got another pedal you would suggest let me know

I think the the TS will be a better choice of this two and is more "allround"... but if You are looking for the Hendrix blues sound in a stomp-box it will be quite hard since he just used his strat and (most times) an overdriven Marshall for this stuff. It really depends more on the guitar and amp You use......

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
sted
post Dec 6 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 4.882

Hmmm...

Dont think wither of these will give you a hendrix tone mate, though they are both great pedals. Out of these i would recommend the ts-9, very nice smooth overdrive, for hendrix stuff look at some fuzz boxes, that will get you closer to that tone, dunlop do a jimi tribute fuzz which is quite authentic if a little pricey.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Dec 6 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.694

How about this pedal

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post Dec 6 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 7.145

Something of note if you're looking ONLY for the Hendrix sound is that the old Fuzz Face pedal (like most fuzz pedals) doesn't play quite as nicely with humbuckers as they do with singles. There is at least one fuzz pedal that steps around the problem via a switch. Otherwise, one might end up regretting the fuzz --or so I have read/heard.

So, if you're looking for his fuzz sound, Daniel has linked the pedal to choose but I suspect it will only work "correctly" if you're using single coil pickups. If you're looking for his other sounds, Staffy's answer is correct.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 9 2009, 01:57 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (Littlewing76 @ Dec 6 2009, 10:10 AM) *

Both of these pedals are not similar to what we percieve as Hendrix tone. As Staffay said, Hendrix used overdriven Marshall Super Lead and used Fuzz to get it even more to overdrive. For today's standards this was pretty lousy way to overdrive an amp further, but in those days it's the only stuff they had. My advise to you is - don't pursuit to 70ties tone perfection. It is not achievable without tons of money, no matter what modern companies market today. Instead, I advise you to test both pedals in the store and see what you like the most for yourself. Both pedals are good, but you need a good tube amp as well to get a nice natural tone. If you really want to take one of these pedals, my advice would be tubescreamer, but there are many versions and clones out there. Try to take a decent second hand tubescreamer, and it will serve you well both as light overdrive pedal and a booster. TS goes along well with myriad of amps out there, so it is flexible in most situations.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 9 2009, 01:58 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 03:37 PM