> New Song: In A Sentimental Mood
Staffy
post Dec 10 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

Oh, actually it isn't new, but it is a new posting at least..... This have been one of my favourite jazz standards for 20 years or so, and I have played it a lot of times. Here Im experimenting with the Axon 100 mk2 guitar synthesizer playing all the sounds. Michael Brecker made a wonderful interpretation of this song with the EWI sax-synthesizer back in the 80's, I guess thats why it got out of style since no one really cant play it any better..... I also want to make some interesting notes about the song/recording.

About the song:
This song was written in 1935 by Duke Ellington, one of the true jazzmasters. He wrote late one night after a gig when a friend of his was struggling with two chicks at the same time, and they were competing about his friends attention. To bring some peace into the conversation he wrote it playing the piano while the two women starts to quarrel and listened to him instead.... It is also interesting by the fact that there is a contapunctual movement in the song, that was first noticable in classical music, and even later by bands like Led Zeppelin (Stairway to heaven, if somebody believed that they invented this progression.... its wrong... laugh.gif ) and nowadays a lot of composers use similar chord progressions. It also features some of the most beatiful bridges ever written imo.

About the recording:
Everything was done by using the Axon guitar synth with Seymour Duncan mounted pickup by Axon called PA -100. Some weird thing happens occasionally (You can spot some "clicks"), and I dont really had figured out if it comes from the playing, tracking or something by the sound itself..... Since this is really an experiment I tried to play like a saxophone player aiming at certain notes instead of thinking in terms of even timing etc. It was hard to do since I did it over a static backing, if I'd had a keyboard player to play along with, it would have been a lot easier.... I took parts of the chords from Michael Breckers recording and tried to make something similar without actually copying any phrases.... The take is a result from an improvised take, which have been tightened up. Also it is very difficult to use Your normal playing style when playing guitar synth since it requires a much more precise and tight playing. (maybe therefore it has ever got popular??? )
As I mentioned before all tracks is played by the guitar, and there is 3 pad tracks, 1 "bass" track + the lead track.

I will do a review later on in the WIKI on this piece of gear, which is quite interesting, even that I pesronally wont use it for live purposes.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleak
post Dec 11 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.312

Great stuff, can't wait till I can improvise in such a fluid way and with such a good 'structure' of improvisation. All practice I guess..

I read a good quote somewhere and it said, it doesnt matter what you do when your improvising, as long as when you finish the journey you get the feeling it was worthwhile.. and that was worthwhile smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Dec 11 2009, 03:02 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.490

Very nice story and explaination. Also a beautiful track and very nicely played. All those "weird" effects and sounds fit perfectly into the atmosphere. I really enjoyed it. Great job.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
post Dec 11 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #4

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.835

THanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. It makes the song that much richer. I don't think I've ever had the chance to hear a guitar synth before, so that was a treat! Again the playing is just great! wink.gif I'm looking forward to the review. cool.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Dec 11 2009, 08:50 AM
Post #5

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

Thx. guys! smile.gif This was really a test since I just bought it. In the future I think I will use it mainly for composing since You can use it for recording the MIDI-data directly into any DAW. Yeah, and for bass lines, the bass sounds sound just awesome and the tracking is good even on the lower notes. (which has been the issue with guitar synths before)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Fran
post Dec 12 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #6

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Really nice and atmospheric Staffay, that guitar synth sounds good smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
post Dec 12 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

Sounds nice Staffay!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 01:36 PM