How Do I Make My Guitar Sound Electric?
Mattman
Dec 22 2009, 06:23 AM
GMC:er
Hi Andrew, or Mr.Cockburn, my name is matt and i have been using your beginner guitar videos. They are really in depth and i have been learning a lot so far. I just got my guitar this past weekend and i had no idea where to start but thanks to your videos i feel like i can eventually make it to being a great guitarist. But one thing i would like to know is how to make my guitar sound electric. I have an epiphone special sg model. It came in a starter kit with a 10 wat amp. I have 5 knobs on my amp gain,volume,treble,middle and bass. I have messed around with them a little bit but my guitar doesn't sound electric. It just sounds like an amplified acoustic guitar. I was looking at your lesson on how to play smoke on the water and the notes sounds so electricy, haha I don't know how to explain that better. If you could give me some tips on how to set the knobs to create a ore electric sound it would be greatly appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 23 2009, 01:12 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi Matt, I tried to answer your PM but for some reason I couldn't ...

Here is what I typed!

Ok, firstly they are called strings not chords - chords are something different, a chord is when you play more than 2 notes at once. And in fact, that is what you need to do - you hold down the 2 strings as in the video, then with your pick you have to hit just those 2 strings at the same time and no others - that will get you closer for starters!

Next, you need to srlect a sound on your amp that has some distortion. If you have a gain control, try turnign that up full, and reduce the volume control to compensate. Also, your amp may have a channel specifically for distorted sounds - they vary in how they work.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Regards,

Andrew

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:47 AM