Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 12" Combo + 2*12" Cabinet?, A winner team?
mhskeide
post Jan 27 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.482

Hi guys
If everything turns out as planned, I might have my new amp (Peavey Classic) already on Friday biggrin.gif

the only change is that I`m not buying the 2*12",50" version. I got a better deal for the 112 30W combo. So my question is, would a 212 cabinet be a nice addition when practising with band to get "more sound"? (not louder, but fuller in a way.. huh.gif )

I presume you all undestand the question, and from a previous thread, I think I`ll buy a Framus 212 cab if the posts in this thread points to it smile.gif

--------------------
"Some epic qoute" - Epic dude
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sollesnes
post Jan 27 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #2

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 6.623

Cool smile.gif Peavey Classic is great

I was going to buy a Framus 2x12 cab, but the seller could'nt find a large enough box for the shipping smile.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Jan 27 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

Of course that will be a great addition! But I will suggest testing some different speakers out, since the choice of speakers are really very important in the question of a good sound. I have ordered an empty 2*12 cab from my amp-guy and will experiment with some different combinations since he have a lot of speakers around. A good idea will be to have two DIFFERENT speakers in the cab, since it really gives You some options in the matter of recording.... So if You for instance like the sound of the amp itself - try to find one similar speaker and one totally different, since if You have two similar speakers (one in the amp, and one in the cab) + a totally different one, the main sound will be from the two speakers anyway, but You have a great option when recording.... smile.gif

//Staffay

EDIT: spelling

This post has been edited by Staffy: Jan 27 2010, 09:00 PM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
mhskeide
post Jan 27 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #4

Experienced Tone Guru

Thats the problem when living in a small town. The two local guitar shops that actually exists within an hour-long drive doesn`t have ANY cabs to try, just combos. The idea struck me that I could of course buy a matching Classic- cab (both visually and audioally(?) similar), though the idea of a similar and a different speaker sounds interesting as well wink.gif
Problem is, when it comes to soldering/electrics etc. with guitars and amps, I`m a serious noob and don`t know where to start tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jan 27 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #5

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

The Peavey Classic is a great amp, used to own one. I found it a little too low on volumefor everyhing larger than a small pub.
One problem was that the sound was going too straight out of the speaker, a 2x12 would help solve that problem.
The built in speaker was a little too trebly for my taste, really sharp. ...then there was some irritation on my side when connecting an external cabinet. Can't recall what it was though, sorry. tongue.gif

Either way, congratulations on a great amp! The cleans are so full and distorted you can pull off some serious rock!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Jan 27 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #6

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jan 27 2010, 09:06 PM) *
Thats the problem when living in a small town. The two local guitar shops that actually exists within an hour-long drive doesn`t have ANY cabs to try, just combos. The idea struck me that I could of course buy a matching Classic- cab (both visually and audioally(?) similar), though the idea of a similar and a different speaker sounds interesting as well wink.gif
Problem is, when it comes to soldering/electrics etc. with guitars and amps, I`m a serious noob and don`t know where to start tongue.gif

hmmm,,,, I see your problem here.... but I'm sure You can find some sound clips on YouTube that compares speakers. I also agree to what Micke says here, I found Peaveys speakers a little harsh and there is an unpleasant treble overtone... but thats a matter of taste. Personally I would go for some Celestion vintage greenbacks reissues, it can never go wrong.... And also I wouldn't mind if the box and the amp matches... thats just a visual issue, I'd rather have a better sound.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Jan 28 2010, 01:49 AM
Post #7

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

A 2x12 will definitely help. The way to think of it is like this:-
It's not increasing the actual 'volume level' of your amp but you are moving more air! Therefore making a 'fuller' sound.
I still use a mid 80's Peavey Renown which is 180W!! I never use it at full volume as I prefer the low gain sound of the amp. Normally I mic it through a Desk at larger Venues and for smaller Venues I run it through an extra 2x12 Laney Cab with Customsound speakers and don't go through the Desk!
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 28 2010, 01:51 AM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 29 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

It will be cool to get extension cab, but combo+212 cab can be a bit difficult to transport all the time. It's nice to have the additional hump tho. If you're buying, try to get some nice speakers, and make sure it has wheels.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Jan 29 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #9

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 29 2010, 06:14 PM) *
make sure it has wheels.

Yeah, or as in my case with a 4*12, get some roadies!!!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
post Jan 31 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #10

Experienced Tone Guru

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 29 2010, 06:14 PM) *
It will be cool to get extension cab, but combo+212 cab can be a bit difficult to transport all the time. It's nice to have the additional hump tho. If you're buying, try to get some nice speakers, and make sure it has wheels.

I`m not planning to transport it all the time, but let it rest in the rehearsal-room with my friend and just take it to gigs. Thats the nice thing with a combo, I dont need extra cabs at home to practise smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jan 31 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #11

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jan 31 2010, 03:05 PM) *
I`m not planning to transport it all the time, but let it rest in the rehearsal-room with my friend and just take it to gigs. Thats the nice thing with a combo, I dont need extra cabs at home to practise smile.gif

Be careful carrying it around too much. I had mine stationary most of the time but after one move one tube broke. Brought it gently from rehearsal to home and after that one tube was bad even though I was so careful. Becomes expensive exchanging all powertubes to keep em matched. So just be careful moving it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
post Jan 31 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #12

Experienced Tone Guru

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 31 2010, 07:39 PM) *
Be careful carrying it around too much. I had mine stationary most of the time but after one move one tube broke. Brought it gently from rehearsal to home and after that one tube was bad even though I was so careful. Becomes expensive exchanging all powertubes to keep em matched. So just be careful moving it. smile.gif

Hm, sounds strange. Several friends of mine has the ENGL Screamet 50W combo, moves it around all the time (and only one of them uses a flight case),they`ve never had a problem like that as far as I know blink.gif

Do the powertubes at all time need to be matched? Why is that tongue.gif ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Feb 1 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jan 31 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Hm, sounds strange. Several friends of mine has the ENGL Screamet 50W combo, moves it around all the time (and only one of them uses a flight case),they`ve never had a problem like that as far as I know blink.gif

Do the powertubes at all time need to be matched? Why is that tongue.gif ?

It depends, but usually tube amps need to be handled with care, Micke may have had unfortunate thing happened, but he's right in general.

Powertubes need to be matched because they use high voltage and the current must be the same in them, or they will strain to work properly and wear out soon, depending on the voltage difference, and amount of use.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 1 2010, 02:23 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mhskeide
post Feb 1 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #14

Experienced Tone Guru

I understand that they needs to be of the same current, but if one break: Do I need to change them all or just the broken one and make sure I buy a matching one?...or did I misunderstand something unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Feb 1 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #15

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 1 2010, 02:23 AM) *
Powertubes need to be matched because they use high voltage and the current must be the same in them, or they will strain to work properly and wear out soon, depending on the voltage difference, and amount of use.

I want to add that if You have to change the power-tubes, the bias of those must be adjusted as well, otherwise the amp will sound different as well as the tubes wear out faster......

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 08:43 PM