> Lefty...
lefty01
post Apr 3 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.271

Hi.
I am a lefty, so it is hard to find a good quality at a good price. I presently own a "SX" Les paul copy with DiMarzio's. My amp is a Fender Frontman 25R, but not overly happy with it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
post Apr 4 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.101

Ever thought about playing right handed? I'm a lefty too, but when I started I decided to get comfortable with playing right handed. The guitars are cheaper and also I can jam on anyone's guitar if hanging out. I don't have to worry about not having a left handed guitar.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 4 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #3

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Apr 4 2007, 01:58 PM) *
Ever thought about playing right handed? I'm a lefty too, but when I started I decided to get comfortable with playing right handed. The guitars are cheaper and also I can jam on anyone's guitar if hanging out. I don't have to worry about not having a left handed guitar.

I had a friend who naturally thought he was a lefty - he would pick up a guitar left handed. I was teaching him and I figured that when you start, everything is hard for both hands so what is the fifference? So I encouraged him to play right handed. (I was young and a little arrogant at the time, so "encouraged" was probably more like refusing to teach him left handed !).

He worked hard at it persevered, and very soon was playing right handed, and does to this day many years later. It worked for him and he thanks me now, but this was absolutley on the first day he learned anything about guitar over and above picking one up and messing around on his own.

I guess this might work for some people and not others, I'm not an expert, but it can be done.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
lefty01
post Apr 4 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.271

QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Apr 4 2007, 11:58 AM) *

Hi. I tried a few times, but I had zero control with my picking hand. It just feels so much more natural playing lefty. I wish I could play the other way. I get screwed on so many great guitars.

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
post Apr 4 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.092

Have you ever tried Carvin guitars? I don't own one, but I've played one and it was great. They make left handed guitars without charging you extra.

www.carvin.com

---

And on a side note, since everyone brought it up, I'm also a lefty who plays right handed. I learned to play right handed because that was the only guitar I had at the time.

Looking back on it, I'm glad I did. I'd rather have my strong hand doing most of the work. I did have to work harder to keep my picking hand controlled though.

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
post Apr 4 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.101

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 4 2007, 01:03 PM) *
I had a friend who naturally thought he was a lefty - he would pick up a guitar left handed. I was teaching him and I figured that when you start, everything is hard for both hands so what is the fifference?

That was kind of my thinking when I started. I naturally would pick up a guitar left handed. But I thought, no matter which way I go, I will still have to learn from the ground up.

Now right handed feels just as natural as left handed. And I am glad I went right handed because it feels like I have more strength in my left hand fingers for fretting.

+Quote Post
spdalton
post Apr 4 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.125

Being left handed definatly does suck when it comes to buying guitars.
Epiphone make their LP custom in lefty and it's a pretty nice guitar.
No Jackson Rhoads Vs for less than $4000 NZ though sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2017 - 09:54 PM