Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Practice, And some ideas...
Marek Rojewski
post Mar 3 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Experienced Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.185

Hi there venerable GMC'ers! I know that this will sound like non sens, but anyway wink.gif -->
As my technique practice is going "relatively wel"l, and my composing/soloing/improvising skills are non-existing, I was thinking about "changing my ways".

When it comes to scales, I know boxes of the pentatonic scales, and learn 7 boxes of the major/minor scale (3 notes per string).

I have few ideas what could I do/how should I learn:

1. learn notes on the fretboard, especially on the low E-string, so using scale boxes would be so much easier.

2. because I knew only pentatonic boxes, I couldn't "place" the many licks I learned from GMC lessons/"invented on my own" --> SO --> maybe it is a good idea to take those licks, find out in which box of the major/minor scale they are, and because of them I'll be able to play them in different scales/situations? Or is it a bad idea?

3. If number 2 is a good idea, than I could concentrate more on learning certain licks, than on learning whole lessons, so again - take some lick that I like and try to play it in boxes/variations.

All in all I feel that just learning lessons won't do, I need to make my own stuff and to achieve that need to be able to use all those "licks" at different situations, not just in a certain place of a certain lesson backingtrack..

Any ideas are much appreciated, I have urge to improve and practice, but would also like to use my time effectively.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 3 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

I definitely recommend my mini Diatonic series:

both of lessons are good, but you can start off from the first one since you already know CAGED positions of pentatonic scale (it's just a matter of adding couple of more notes to the patterns then).

Second is also important, and if you learn this scale, everthing will be much clearer. I also advise you to learn the chords as well, since they are crucial for any musician.

- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2016 - 07:28 PM