Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hurting Hand And Gauge Of Strings
post Apr 3 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.435

Yeah I took a day break because my thumb and hand were hurting. I don't want to end up getting carpal tunnel. I got a pair of 11 gauge strings for my guitar because I heard a friend say that they give an awesome sound for metal. So I bought them but haven't used them. I read the pack of strings and it said for jazz and blues i think... I want a good pair of Heavy metal strings can someone help me.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
post Apr 3 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.088

I've not experimented with strings much to be honest... But it's my understanding that if you want heavy riffage; then you want heavy strings. Shredding and fast work will be easier on light strings though. Since I play all different types of stuff from shred/metal/ska/funk etc I stick with 10s.

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Apr 3 2007, 10:52 AM

Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman
+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Apr 4 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #3

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

Heavy gauge strings arent good at tunings like D Standard or Above, the tone of heavy gauge string comes out best at low tuning like C Standard, Drop B, B Standard or Drop A. If you use E Standard then heavy gauge strings arent your thing, i use Ultra Lights for my Ibanez at E Standard, .09's for my othe ibanez whicH i keep at D Standard or Drop C, And on my washburn i have "Super Heavys" which are just like .11's with one extra wind around the string, which i have at C Standard or lower, this is how i break it down.

String Size and recommended tuning:
-Ultra Lights - E Standard
-Lights ------- E Standard / Drop D
-Mediums---- D Standard / Drop C
-Heavys ----- C Standard / Drop B / B Standard / Drop A

And after you figure out that, try many differnet strings to see which gives you the best tone and playability.
+Quote Post
post Apr 5 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.165

experiment to see what gauge of strings suits you best

i use 9s because i like to the bend the strings biggrin.gif

becareful about messing with string gauges if you have a tremolo though tongue.gif
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2016 - 01:05 PM