> Blackstar Ht-venue Series, vs. BS Series 1
mhskeide
post Mar 8 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.482

Hi guys

Though I bought a mint Peavey Classic 30 for about two months ago, I am still keen on a Blackstar amp biggrin.gif

I bought the Peavey as a temporarily solution (for a month-a year, not planned), since the HT-5 plays to low for a band and the Series 1 are quite expensive.

I see that they have released the ht-venue series for sale now, and to my surprise, the 40W version was quite affordable.

Soundwise, I assume I can expect the same range of tones like in the ht-5?...if anyone at all has tried them exept from youtube clips smile.gif

Then my question is, why is the 45W Series 1 twice the price when they`re both all tube amps?
The main differences I can find is:
DPR power reduction system - The series one has the possibily to reduce "wattage" effect to 10%, making it perfect for studio and homeuse, but with 40 W I don`t think I need it to get a good tone.
The series one has more tubes..?

Can somebody share their view on this subject smile.gif ?

--------------------
"Some epic qoute" - Epic dude
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
post Mar 8 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 4.882

The HT range is based on the HT pedal circuit mate, I dont think they ever intended a range other than the 5w version but the success made it otherwise, it works fine but I think its quite unconventional thinking for an amplifier. I guess the S1 is made to a higher standard with more features to compete against the higher end Marshalls and stuff.

as ever if you can try 'em then do so, personally I dont think you will go far wrong with either of these models.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 9 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 8 2010, 08:32 PM) *
Hi guys

Though I bought a mint Peavey Classic 30 for about two months ago, I am still keen on a Blackstar amp biggrin.gif

I bought the Peavey as a temporarily solution (for a month-a year, not planned), since the HT-5 plays to low for a band and the Series 1 are quite expensive.

I see that they have released the ht-venue series for sale now, and to my surprise, the 40W version was quite affordable.

Soundwise, I assume I can expect the same range of tones like in the ht-5?...if anyone at all has tried them exept from youtube clips smile.gif

Then my question is, why is the 45W Series 1 twice the price when they`re both all tube amps?
The main differences I can find is:
DPR power reduction system - The series one has the possibily to reduce "wattage" effect to 10%, making it perfect for studio and homeuse, but with 40 W I don`t think I need it to get a good tone.
The series one has more tubes..?

Can somebody share their view on this subject smile.gif ?

I haven't tried these amps, but it is clear from the specs that these amps are not in the same league. Venue is more of a performance series for average working musician, while Series 1 is clearly hi-class amp for pro musicians or pro studio use. It's has an option for class A circuit as well and MIDI switching. I think it's a great and flexible amp. In addition to that, 40W for home or studio use is not a good idea, even if you live far away from other people, you won't be playing that loud cause it's simply annoying. 4.5 W is good, but that is very loud too. I would use around 1-2W of power at home when practicing, that seems reasonable enough to feel the music.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 9 2010, 01:53 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mhskeide
post Mar 9 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #4

Experienced Tone Guru

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 9 2010, 01:52 AM) *
I haven't tried these amps, but it is clear from the specs that these amps are not in the same league. Venue is more of a performance series for average working musician, while Series 1 is clearly hi-class amp for pro musicians or pro studio use. It's has an option for class A circuit as well and MIDI switching. I think it's a great and flexible amp. In addition to that, 40W for home or studio use is not a good idea, even if you live far away from other people, you won't be playing that loud cause it's simply annoying. 4.5 W is good, but that is very loud too. I would use around 1-2W of power at home when practicing, that seems reasonable enough to feel the music.

Sounds like the Venue is for me then smile.gif

I think I`ll manage with 40W. A friend of mine plays through an Engl Screamer 50W, with some EQ tweaking it sounds pretty good at low volumes as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 9 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 9 2010, 10:20 AM) *
Sounds like the Venue is for me then smile.gif

I think I`ll manage with 40W. A friend of mine plays through an Engl Screamer 50W, with some EQ tweaking it sounds pretty good at low volumes as well.

Sure, these amps will work on low volumes no problem, the sound won't be that great, but it will sound very good nevertheless. Preamp sections have advanced a lot since old days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
post Mar 9 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #6

Learning Rock Star

My boogie sounds terrible at low volumes (low as in bedroom level) like ivan says even on the 10w setting its sooo loud man lol!

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
post Mar 9 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #7

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 2.313

They do seem very nice. Not high-end, but for the price I doubt you will find many equally good sounding amps..

Thinking of getting the 60W 2x12 myself..

This post has been edited by Skewlbuzz: Mar 9 2010, 11:42 PM

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
mhskeide
post Mar 10 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #8

Experienced Tone Guru

QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Mar 9 2010, 11:41 PM) *
They do seem very nice. Not high-end, but for the price I doubt you will find many equally good sounding amps..

Thinking of getting the 60W 2x12 myself..

True, but I`m no professional player who needs high end yet anyways smile.gif

I`m aiming in for the 40W. I found out that a 2*12 combo was a bit large to carry around for gigs/rehearsals/home use. If I buy it, I`ll probably just buy an ext. 12" cab for banduse wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 11 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 10 2010, 10:16 AM) *
True, but I`m no professional player who needs high end yet anyways smile.gif

I`m aiming in for the 40W. I found out that a 2*12 combo was a bit large to carry around for gigs/rehearsals/home use. If I buy it, I`ll probably just buy an ext. 12" cab for banduse wink.gif

yeah, that would definitely be a good thing to do if you plan to carry it around. Heavy gear is a killer biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
post Mar 12 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #10

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 11 2010, 01:56 PM) *
yeah, that would definitely be a good thing to do if you plan to carry it around. Heavy gear is a killer biggrin.gif

man you're not kidding, my amp is a proper brick! Must weigh 50 kilos, and only a top handle, fail!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 13 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (sted @ Mar 12 2010, 04:59 PM) *
man you're not kidding, my amp is a proper brick! Must weigh 50 kilos, and only a top handle, fail!

50?? That's a lot man. I don't think they are supposed to make them like that with one handle. This suggest that one person should carry it, and there is a high risk of injury when lifting the monster. I would rather carry 3 times of 25KG wight, than try to lift 50Kg on my own..

--------------------

+Quote Post
MigeZ
post Aug 11 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #12

GMC:er

Member No.: 6.842

Gonna buy the 60W 2x12 myself too fell in love with it in the store smile.gif Luckily I spend almost as much time in the gym as playing guitar smile.gif Gonna get some Boss pedals with it cause I'm going to start gigging in a band. (progressive/power metal) I've gotten to a point when I know almost everything that I'm going to buy except that I haven't figured out the distortion pedal yet... Metal Zone 2 or Mega distortion... Any ideas which of those to buy? Or better ideas? smile.gif
Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by MigeZ: Aug 11 2010, 07:44 PM

--------------------
MigeZ
What doesn't kill you
Will only make you stronger

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Aug 11 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #13

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

Don't get a new amp that can not deliver the needed distortion on it's own.
A high gain amps own distortion sounds A LOT better than an amp with a distortionpedal! If the Blackstar doesn't put out enough gain for your purpose then try looking for something else instead!!!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 12 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 11 2010, 08:59 PM) *
Don't get a new amp that can not deliver the needed distortion on it's own.
A high gain amps own distortion sounds A LOT better than an amp with a distortionpedal! If the Blackstar doesn't put out enough gain for your purpose then try looking for something else instead!!!

Zakk is definitely right there. No pedal will replace tube distortion, so unless you can crank the tube amp, or you have enough overdrive in the preamp section, think about it twice. Having a pedal with a good tube amp is similar to this concept: smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
post Aug 12 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #15

Learning Rock Star

Surely that depends on the use of the pedal though? If he buys a Marshall then it will have Marshall distortion but you can get very different tonal textures by using say a tubescreamer through the front end on the clean channel, some of the best tones in history have been achieved with pedals, SRV and his tubescreamers, Gary Moore and the Guv'nor pedal etc
If you're happy with one type of drive for one type of music then go for it but dont be put off trying pedals, although I have to say the other guitarist in our band uses a HT60 combo and I cant imagine that it wouldnt be enough distortion for anyone!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Aug 12 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #16

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

The Guv'nor and the Tubescreamer aren't distortion pedals, they are overdrives! They are enhancing the original amp sound by pushing the tubes to give out more gain.

A distortion however does not enhance an amps own distortion, it creates it's own...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
sted
post Aug 12 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #17

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 12 2010, 07:19 PM) *
The Guv'nor and the Tubescreamer aren't distortion pedals, they are overdrives! They are enhancing the original amp sound by pushing the tubes to give out more gain.

A distortion however does not enhance an amps own distortion, it creates it's own...

Fair enough but the Gus G blackstar pedal, Suhr Riot, Tonefreak severe etc are distortions and sound better than quite a few tube amps I can mention! Not to mention a lot of people are stacking amp distortions with pedals to give incremental gain stages increasing the frequency spread across the range, jsut saying that jut because its not tube drive doesnt mean it aint any good, a JVM is a JVM from here to india but subtle use of a few decent pedals can make you unique among your peers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 07:34 PM