> Guitar Pro, Practicing tabing
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 10 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 956

Hi guys,

I have played a bit with guitar pro 5 today and althought I have been able to make something out of it I am still having problem with a few different things. First of all I want to precise that I would like to use Guitar pro mainly to help me creating some backing tracks. Since I can export everything in midi I will be able to send it in my daw and assign some virtual instrument to each tracks.

So it looks pretty interesting... One of my main problem is since I am not really good with all the note value, I realized that sometimes I needed to put a silence note. But when i want to add a silence note I wasn't able to just put one. I had to write the bar again. Is there a way to make a kind of space like when you use the space bar? This would help me to had some silence here and there and make it sound more realistic. I am also really lost with all the shuffle rythm. How do you do a shuffle rythm in guitar pro ??? And how does a drum worke in shuffle ???

Beside these interrogation I need some help on tabing some drums.... I just realized that I have absolutey no clue how to write down a drum rythm... For now I have been using a closed high-hat with eight note all the way and add some bass drum, snare, and crash, here and there.... but how can I make it more groovy. Should I aim a landing note like the first one of a beat and just before that one add a bunch of hit here an there. I have no clue...

Thanks for your help ...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sentenced
post Mar 10 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 3.308

If you want to add a note or a pause, just copy a note and then paste it. Like you do with files on your computer. For Drum Rhythm watch some of the drums lesson here at gmc, there are so great rhythms.

EDIT: To copy a note you have to select it first. Just hold the left key of the mouse and drag it over the note. i hope i helped you out with this.

This post has been edited by Sentenced: Mar 10 2010, 12:38 AM

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 10 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

Thanks for the tips sentenced... I have watch a few lessons on drum from Kyle logue and it really helps me to understand a few things....

I can't copy and paste a note it doesn't work... Seems like I can only copy and paste some bar..

Perhaps I am using Guitar Pro 5 for Mac maybe it is a little bit different...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 10 2010, 05:23 AM
Post #4

Learning Rock Star

I have just discovered how to add the note with the copy paste method you explain sentenced. I didn't really understood the edit on the spot. Just figured it out now....

Anyone has another tip ???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
post Mar 10 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.129

It's a good idea to analyze some songs (or albums?) that feature a good drummer. Concentrate on the groove, the timing and the velocity. Your rhythm vocabulary and arranging skills will benefit greatly, and once you have a groove "in your head" you'll easily find a way to tab it out, trust me. wink.gif The funny thing is - I never realized the importance of concentrating on drum parts until I've played with bunch of different drummers...everything feels different with a different drummer. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Mar 11 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5.490

Do you mean the "rest" by saying the silence note? The rests have duration like notes but it's actually the silence. You can type the rest in just like the note. About shuffle groove it's a different story. You have to learn how to read and write notes and deal with all that. Shuffle can be in 4/4 (with 8th triplets on the high hat) or 12/8 (with normal 8th notes on the high hat). You first need to set the time signature in your project. I don't recommend using guitar pro for programming drums. I use some proper midi editor in a DAW and export as midi then import the final information into the guitar pro.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 11 2010, 03:01 AM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 10 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Do you mean the "rest" by saying the silence note? The rests have duration like notes but it's actually the silence. You can type the rest in just like the note. About shuffle groove it's a different story. You have to learn how to read and write notes and deal with all that. Shuffle can be in 4/4 (with 8th triplets on the high hat) or 12/8 (with normal 8th notes on the high hat). You first need to set the time signature in your project. I don't recommend using guitar pro for programming drums. I use some proper midi editor in a DAW and export as midi then import the final information into the guitar pro.

I think I would have to reed some of Andrew's theory lesson about time signatures then....

Do you mean that I could program a drum beat using Logic Pro Ultrabeat (wich is fairly easy to use) and export it in midi to import it after in guitar pro.... I didn't know we could import some midi in Guitar Pro I toutght it was only for exporting.

This post has been edited by Crazy_Diamond: Mar 11 2010, 03:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Mar 11 2010, 04:08 AM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Mar 11 2010, 02:01 AM) *
I think I would have to reed some of Andrew's theory lesson about time signatures then....

Do you mean that I could program a drum beat using Logic Pro Ultrabeat (wich is fairly easy to use) and export it in midi to import it after in guitar pro.... I didn't know we could import some midi in Guitar Pro I toutght it was only for exporting.

Yes you can import midi. First you do that then type notes and other instruments on top of it.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 11 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star

Great !!!! Thanks for the advice mate .... I will use this advice for sure

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Mar 11 2010, 04:30 AM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Mar 11 2010, 03:13 AM) *
Great !!!! Thanks for the advice mate .... I will use this advice for sure

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 11 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Working fast with Guitar Pro (and various other software too) is based on keyboard shortcuts. Almost every important function has shortcut, so when I tab I usually do like this:

- tab using click on fretboard and then press right key, click on fretboard, right key and so on
- write down the number of notes in a bar, usually using short durations, like 16ths or 32nds
- correct the note duration values by altering the duration using + and - keys.
- insert rests with "R"
- on the main meny choose Tools>correct the bar with rests (or something like that). this will add the rests needed to complete sometimes messy bars.
- GP doesn't like odd uses of triplets (who does! smile.gif ). so try to use triplets "/" and dotted "*" notes as groups

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 11 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Learning Rock Star

Thanks for the info Ivan ..... but for a mysterious reason some of my hotkeys don't work.

For example I can change the note value using the - but the + don't do anything ....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
post Mar 11 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Mar 11 2010, 02:54 PM) *
Thanks for the info Ivan ..... but for a mysterious reason some of my hotkeys don't work.

For example I can change the note value using the - but the + don't do anything ....

Try on the numpad of the keyboard, works for me

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Mar 17 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.694

for drums, it's way easier to do it on your daw on a midi channel with a virtual instrument,

guitar pro is limited for that....if you have a MIDI keyboard that can help a lot and give the takes a lot mor human sound

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 17 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #15

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

I would recommend learning a little about musical notation, this will really help you when writing music out - be that a musical score or guitar pro file.

Andrews theory lessons got me off to a great start learning about written music, then I followed it up with some theory exams.

With regards to rests, each type represents a portion of time as does a musical note e.g quater, half, sixteenth etc.

Check this

Musical notes and rests work together to complete a bar of music, for example sake if a bar has a signature of 4/4 time, you could have say 3 quater notes and one quater rest.

Really its just fractions, do a little reading and all will become clear! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 18 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #16

Learning Rock Star

Thanks for the chart Mattacuk but I already knew all this ....

Maybe I just need to practice tabbing...

Thanks everyone !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 22 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

you're welcome mate. you're right, it's all about practice, in time you will get faster and faster, don't worry too much about it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2017 - 07:06 AM