Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picking Question, Need help with right hand technique...
Anastasio123
post Apr 5 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.365

So I've been practicing seriously for a few months now on my alternate picking and have fortunately seen great progress. However, sometimes when I'm practicing a lick or exercise with my metronome, I sometimes find myself having trouble with keeping a small picking motion whilst skipping to other strings in the lick, phrase, etc. Because of this, I keep hitting unwanted strings. Is this sometime that will fix itself with more practice or do I need to make a change in the way I use my right hand?
Another problem I am having is with the angling of my pick. I know it helps to angle the pick so I can pick more smoothly, but I always have trouble getting more accent and volume in my notes. Am I angling my pick too much? Or is that how it sounds without an amp? Also take into consideration that I dont use an amp usually when I practice.
Any help I would greatly appreciate, If you have only a tip or two to give, that would be just fine. I'm just looking for a way to get through this wall in my playing. Thanx smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jazzie
post Apr 5 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.177

Hey Anastasio123!

Pavel sent me a small vid with different angles and close ups of his picking stye. It helped me a lot, (but I still drop a pinky now and then! Sorry Pav, I tried doing it your "fist" method, but it was too unatural! laugh.gif ) I took a variation of it that works for me. Now and then I still hit dead strings, but not as much or often... I will send it over to you l8ter on tonight if that is ok with you.

l8ter
Jazzie

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
post Apr 5 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.080

QUOTE (Jazzie @ Apr 5 2007, 11:25 AM) *
Hey Anastasio123!

Pavel sent me a small vid with different angles and close ups of his picking stye. It helped me a lot, (but I still drop a pinky now and then! Sorry Pav, I tried doing it your "fist" method, but it was too unatural! laugh.gif ) I took a

New GMC camera angles?

Fretboard-cam - focused on the right hand, shooting down the fretboard. Someone posted a video somewhere around here that did that with a high speed camera to break down picking technique of shredders.

Behind-the-nut-cam - Mounted on the headstock, aimed down the fretboard for the left hand. Al-a the Thunderstruck video.

I know what you mean about right hand positioning. Problem I'm having has more to do with the fact that my fingers stick out farther than my pick that way so I'm hitting the higher strings with them. My guitar has a bit of a rim around the pickups and I find that my pinkie sets up there a lot.

I'm still working on it. Better now than trying to fix it later. There's so much to do. Gah.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
wheeler
post Apr 5 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.391

Can someone post links to the videos you guys are referring to? Or Jazzie, do you think you could email Pavel's vid to me? That would be HUGELY appreciated, as right hand technique is far and away my biggest project right now.

Also - 123 - Trey is awesome. I haven't heard mention of him on a guitar site for a long time (besides his arrest). Good to see he is not forgotten. (Assuming you are a Trey fan and not just someone named Anastasio smile.gif )

+Quote Post
Jazzie
post Apr 5 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 5 2007, 07:18 PM) *
Can someone post links to the videos you guys are referring to? Or Jazzie, do you think you could email Pavel's vid to me? That would be HUGELY appreciated, as right hand technique is far and away my biggest project right now.

Also - 123 - Trey is awesome. I haven't heard mention of him on a guitar site for a long time (besides his arrest). Good to see he is not forgotten. (Assuming you are a Trey fan and not just someone named Anastasio smile.gif )

Hey Weeler I sent you and Anastasio123 the link to the vid.. Pavel has a strange (but highly effective) way of strumming and holding the pick. I picked up on most of it, I just can't keep the "paw" position while playing fast for long periods... I always seem to drop a finger or two...

l8ter
Jazzie

+Quote Post
Jazzie
post Apr 5 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #6

Hi all!

Wheeler stated that the link I sent him was dead, but it works on my side, so I decided to post Pavels picking vid. It helped me a lot on a good variation to holding the pick correctly...Thanks again Pavel!!!!

l8ter
Jazzie

This post has been edited by Jazzie: Apr 5 2007, 07:25 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Picking.avi ( 16.56MB ) Number of downloads: 113

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
post Apr 5 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.365

QUOTE (Jazzie @ Apr 5 2007, 02:21 PM) *
Hi all!

Wheeler stated that the link I sent him was dead, but it works on my side, so I decided to post Pavels picking vid. It helped me a lot on a good variation to holding the pick correctly...Thanks again Pavel!!!!

l8ter
Jazzie

Yea Jazzie thanks a lot for sending me that vid, it definitely helped me with a lot of my bad habits. I am gonna have to work on that claw like technique, but for now I'm definitely seeing the light. wink.gif

QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 5 2007, 01:18 PM) *

Yea definitely, Wheeler. I got into his old band Phish right when they broke up up three years ago. It's a shame he only gets on tv for his drug charges rather than his solo albums. I've only seen him live once and I was amazed at how much energy he could pump through an arena for 2 or 3 hours straight with just his guitar. I hope more people listen to him as the years go on cuz I think he's definitely one of the most promising guitarists of this generation...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2017 - 03:14 PM