Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Left Forearm Problems, Seeking advice on numbness, stiffness
IBZguitarist87
post Mar 18 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.667

Hey everybody. I'm having some problems with my left forearm, and I believe it is from excess playing of guitar. I have been playing a lot more than usual for the past few weeks, and during my practice the top of my forearm on the fret hand will numb up, and afterwards may feel stiff. I do stretch and warm up always before I play. I am left handed, but I play right handed guitars. This worries me because my dad has always had trouble with these same problems from typing. I really don't want it to develop into something serious like tendinitis or carpel tunnel. Has anyone else had these problems, and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
post Mar 18 2010, 04:58 AM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 956

One of my good buddy is a lefty that plays on the right.... The guy is a great shredder he always told me that when he was practicing he really focus on putting the less tension possible on his left arm...

I hope this help smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Mar 18 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #3

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Hello IBZGuitarist,

what you are describing is very common, and it is something I hear all the time from guitar players at the beginning of their journey.

I used to experience a similair problem with my left forearm / hand, and I managed to get around it by a much longer and slower warmup!

By warm up I mean any exercise or perhaps improvisation that is easy on you, but also fun to play wink.gif

It is also worth considering that while yes it is important to practice hard, you really can over do it, and this could be another reason you are experiencing problems.

While you are experiencing pain or discomfort, I would ease up on your practice routine. When the time is right (e.g. when you feel physically good) you can increase the amount of time your spending.

Deep down inside you must know if your pushing your luck, so listen to your body and adapt your routine as appropriate! cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Mar 21 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.694

Make sure you warm up and massage your forearm from time to time, like between songs. Playin guitar is a constant muscular movement inflicted in the arms that is not so natural, so you kind of have to counteract this by massaging and starting gradually.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
IBZguitarist87
post Mar 21 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 9.667

I took a break for a while and it has started to go away. I also started using the mouse with my right hand and less typing.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 22 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

It's a sign of warning for you IMO. Try to practice with more attention to rests, and massage the problematic areas occasionally between practices. Don't put up a marathon of 3 hours without properly warming up, and taking regular breaks every half an hour, you risk serious injury that way.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Mar 24 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

You should pay attention to it and take it easy. Warm up well before playing. Make regular rests on each 30-45 minutes of playing and drink water. If you feel any pain stop. Also try experimenting with your hand positioning, possibly you are playing in an uncomfortable position. You don't want to make sharp angles with your fretting hands wrist while playing.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Mar 27 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

You mentioned that you only recently started to play for long periods of time. That's it. You're in adapting phase, that will pass, I am talking from experience. Once you establish some kind of a routine, you'll adapt. Keep doing those stretches, that is good idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 01:06 PM