> Les Paul Studio, need you guys :)
fkalich
post Mar 29 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #41

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (coffeeman @ Mar 28 2010, 01:52 PM) *
this is an awesome thread about Les Paul guitars. I would like to ask why the big difference in the prices between the studio and the standard?

I suspect the profit margin on the Standard is higher, meaning the Studio is a better deal. Companies just operate like that. There are differences, for example you probably are getting a two piece back on a Studio (which does not affect sound), and other differences mentioned before. And I suspect they do some grading and sorting of their wood, the Standards getting the more preferred wood. But I am not sure about that. A lot of times a company will sell a product line cheaper, in the hope you get hooked on it's product and then later purchase the higher priced one. A company certainly will try to be more careful with it's flagship products, but sometimes under production pressures they might do things differently, and actually give you a better product. I have seen where people have gotten tops on a Les Paul that certainly came from wood from a higher priced line.

Regarding the earlier question about differences between Custom and Vintage, Vintage has long neck tenon. They used to make guitars with a more substantial neck joint. Later they found it cheaper in production to make it shorter. And I don't think the Custom is Plek'ed, unless they have changed that. The frets may be a bit bigger on the Custom. That is one thing about the 58 and earlier Reissue Les Pauls that is not actually vintage spec, the frets are bigger on the reissues than the originals....nobody today would want the pre 59 type frets. But the Custom probably has a bit bigger frets. Although the frets on my 58 seem pretty close to modern typical.

The Vintage is a good example of different pricing margins. They have some that are priced a lot more than others, and the quality is the same. For example they have priced the 59 a lot more than 58 or 57, but the quality is the same, except the 59 has a flame. People would just pay more for a 59, because that is a more famous year. I like the top on my 58 though, it took me a long time to decide it was a two piece top, it is so well matched, it is real hard to determine, it looks like one piece. That is the kind of thing you tend to get in the higher priced line.

I know about a guy who has a Les Paul with a one piece top, a flame. That is pretty rare, I guess one day at the factory they had a good piece of wood, and just thought, "what the hell".

This post has been edited by fkalich: Mar 29 2010, 07:44 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Mar 30 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #42

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 4.464

Going for a Custom is a perfect start, thats how I became addicted ;-) And that new beauty that I am aiming at... well, it would be a limited edition of a 60's standard, a custom shop reissue, one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. The problem is that Gibson doens't have any left themselves, all were sold to a couple of shops immediately, so now they are finding out which shop still has a copy left (they are very limited) and getting a price for me... keep your fingers crossed wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Mar 30 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #43

Group Icon

Here is a pic of that beauty by the way
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post Mar 30 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #44

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

What a beautiful guitar! I'm crossing my fingers that you're gonna get it. Maybe we can see you on the coming tour with it?!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Mar 30 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #45

GMC:er

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 30 2010, 11:11 AM) *
Going for a Custom is a perfect start, thats how I became addicted ;-) And that new beauty that I am aiming at... well, it would be a limited edition of a 60's standard, a custom shop reissue, one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. The problem is that Gibson doens't have any left themselves, all were sold to a couple of shops immediately, so now they are finding out which shop still has a copy left (they are very limited) and getting a price for me... keep your fingers crossed wink.gif

They charge a lot more for the fancy reissues. But the plain jane 58 standard version I have really plays nice. I think the quality is about the same as the more expensive reissues but when you sell out as you say, well that demand curve just shifted up, and price, econ 101.

However, I am pretty convinced that if you played my guitar, you would like it a lot. Provided you don't hate the pre 59 neck, which is fatter than the 59. As you are interested in the 60, I assume you like the slimmer neck. There do make a plain jane 60 standard reissue with that neck I think. All one has to do is convert to being a Mennonite, then you will actually prefer the plain top on religious reasons!

+Quote Post
stratman79
post Mar 30 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #46

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.782

QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Mar 29 2010, 11:19 AM) *
But it will never be a Gibson wink.gif

exactly wink.gif

I know the Luthier personally who built and am certain he's far better than someone stood in a factory asembly line getting $10p/h.

Holly veneer headstock, authentic bumblebee caps inside and wiring, specially sourced bridges (the ones with the wire holding down the saddles). any problems and 5min down the road and it's fixed tongue.gif

I've played my fair share of Gibsons and of course I'm biased but...

but that custom looks well amazing better get saving the pennies!!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Mar 31 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #47

Group Icon

Actually I prefer the fatter 50's neck, I like to have something in my hands while playing, I could never get along with those thin Ibanez necks for example (I would always be afraid to break it smile.gif ) but the 60's necks are still fine for me, after all no Gibson neck is thin. I am not trying to get that guitar because it is a 60's reissue, I just loved it when I saw it, that's what attracted me. But they also had a very nice 59 Standard VOS, I am also still thinking about that one...

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 05:54 PM