Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Playing Metallica Stuff...
shellshock1911
post Apr 6 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.414

Hi, I'm a huge fan of Metallica, and basically right now, the only songs that I am trying to learn are Metallica songs. Metallica never alternate picks in their riffs, only soloes, but I know that while practicing, I should always use alternate picking. So while im practicing Metallica stuff, should I downpick only as they did, or use alternate picking?

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Apr 6 2007, 09:43 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wheeler
post Apr 6 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.391

Downpick the rhythms. That's a HUGE part of Metallica's sound...actually, it's a huge part of most metal band's sounds. I know it's super tempting to alt pick them, because it can take years of practice to build up the kind of stamina James has. But if you alt pick them, you lose the attack.

Edit - one more thing...make sure to keep your arm relaxed when downpicking the rhythms. It'll be slow going at first. If you feel your entire upper arm flexing while you're playing, it's time to slow it down a little, to the point where you're picking from the wrist comfortably.

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 6 2007, 09:45 PM

+Quote Post
RodneyU
post Apr 6 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.210

Thats a good question! Some of the stuff I play is Metallica, and down picking is the key like said before. BUT I think you need to practice something like you play it. Alt picking the begining of Master of Puppets will be good for you alt pick ability, but will loose that sound you need. So when practicing, whether is Metallica, or something else, mix it up so you can work on all your skills.

That being said, the Begining lead part of Fade to Black is good practice for alt picking. Kris has this lesson over on his freelick.net site.

+Quote Post
Brandon2002
post Apr 7 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.352

i started playing guitar for this very reason (metallica). ill tell you now, i played strictly metallica for 1-2 years, i never alternate picked, unless i had to. i played completely from the arm, and now.. its really hard for me to break these habits... so please dont limit yourself. my suggestion would be to practice them both ways, so eventually if you move on from metallica things will come more easily to you. so im just curious what metallica song are you working on now?

This post has been edited by Brandon2002: Apr 7 2007, 10:07 AM

--------------------
~ old habits die hard ~

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post Apr 7 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.414

QUOTE (Brandon2002 @ Apr 7 2007, 10:06 AM) *
i started playing guitar for this very reason (metallica). ill tell you now, i played strictly metallica for 1-2 years, i never alternate picked, unless i had to. i played completely from the arm, and now.. its really hard for me to break these habits... so please dont limit yourself. my suggestion would be to practice them both ways, so eventually if you move on from metallica things will come more easily to you. so im just curious what metallica song are you working on now?

Master of Puppets solo, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Fade to Black right now

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Apr 7 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #6

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

For the master of puppets solo, i actually used the first solo (the slower one) for an alternate picking exercise about 3 years ago, and it really helped me, and the second one i try to do as much legato as possible, or alternate pick the whole thing.

And fade to black is a good to solo for you learn if you want to incorporate some really cool phrasing into your playing, i still dont know all of the last solo, but it is a massive one, and a real damn good one at that

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 02:14 AM