Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting Recording Equipment?
Lucky777s
post Apr 16 2010, 04:21 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.775

what equipment should i get to first start recording? i mean home recording nothing to complicated that requires a lot of equipment its not a demo for a band or anything. I just want to be able to record music that i come up with. I know almost nothing on this topic; the only things i have heard of are the Line 6 Toneport products and everything else i've seen seemed complicated involving pre-amps, microphones, interface's unsure.gif . I think you need an interface but im not sure. ANY HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED =). biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
post Apr 16 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.117

Maybe getting an used soundcard and something like a Line 6 Pod or V-amp 2 for starting. You'll have a lot to do only with these things. And obvioulsy, some DAW like Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Reaper, etc

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Apr 16 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #3

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

As the most simple and easy to use (and cheap solution) I recommend getting POD Studio GX or UX1 (that one can record microphones too)...You will be able to make instant demo recording at home pretty easy. You will also need a DAW (recording software) - Reaper is "almost" free so I recommend it. Let me know if you have any further questions.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 17 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

The guys are right. A POD is a great way to go. You can start recording without a computer, but having one will really help as you can start to do everything in software. You will need a recording interface, USB or Firewire, but those are only a couple hundred bux. Go to a music store and try some things in the recording area. It will give you an idea of what is available and at what price.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lucky777s
post Apr 18 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9.775

Thanks guys =D one question though will i be able to use my pedals (wah, Whammy) if i run it through the pod to my computer?

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
post Apr 18 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 7.117

I think that you can be able to go through your pedals before the Pod. I mean Guitar--- Pedal---Pedal---Pod, But I'm not sure about the quality of the sound. Sincerely, I have never tried it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Apr 18 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Sure, you can use your pedals in front of POD Studio device no problem. The device tones will react a bit different with pedals then you are used to (compared to a real amp), but with tweaking you will find what you need. There are also lots of useful effects and presets you can make with modeling software that comes with POD Studio (it's called POD Farm).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
post Apr 18 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.730

i personally will go with some cheap usb audio interface, m-audio or maybe presonus, and guitar rig 4, that can go from pretty basic recordings, to very good quality demos!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
stratman79
post Apr 18 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.782

You could also look at getting a stand alone 8 track recorder. (Boss for example)

Most of them are quite cheap and have drums built in, plus you don't have to rely on your PC and they're portable.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post May 2 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #10

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (Lucky777s @ Apr 18 2010, 08:54 PM) *
Thanks guys =D one question though will i be able to use my pedals (wah, Whammy) if i run it through the pod to my computer?

Yes, you will be able to use pedals with no problems at all. Just plug your guitar to pedals and then to the POD interface. It maybe a little bit different then with a real amp but tones from pedals will be there.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post May 4 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #11

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 10.312

Lucky, getting into the field of home-recording is a fairly steep learning curve and is packed with terminology and concepts that build on each other. I strongly recommend that you take some time to read thru "the guide" in the link I provide below to get a good foundation on the components of a home-recording studio - as you learn the underlying principles, you'll be in a much better position to make decisions on the types of recording software and interfaces you'll need.

The Guide is located here
http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

At base, you'll need an Audio Interface (USB or Firewire) and recording software (DAW). This presumes you have computer that can handle the processing requirements for each (drivers and software package).

Expect a base-price-tag of $200 and you'll likely have questions over "which AI" will be best for me for my price range.

For your convenience, here is a portion of "The Guide" that addresses that question:
http://tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm
and
http://tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_audio_interfaces.htm

It's a really large world you're stepping into, so be prepared to do your homework if you're interested in getting into some serious home-recording.

Regards,
Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 06:01 PM