Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.694

Piano Ballad Collaboration

Number of participants: 8

Attached File  Final_mix.mp3 ( 6.4MB ) Number of downloads: 230

These are some comments on your takes guys:

- Kaz: (0:00-0:35)

I actually really liked this take, but feel free to make another if you want,

The tone fits pretty well with the backing (Little gain, lots of definition). The octaves are a great detailed that I wouldn't have thought of. I'll probably use that for my take I'm kidding

Nice melodic part you created here. Well defined phrases, I like the pauses and sort of breathing you give to your phrases. Very pleasing to listen to. Your bendings are accurate and very expressive! Rhythmically spot on and I also liked the fact that you took some risk at the end by doing the faster scale and rocking bendings (reminded me of Slash!) and actually pulled it off.

I would only say that the very last note feels rushed. And also make sure you edit the last hit on the guitar
Thanks for participating!

- Empantheboy: (0:35- 1:09)

You went for the pentatonic route, it seems to really work for this backing. I will give it a go in my take,

For the type of solo you went for here it could be good to use more sustain in the patch you use, one way to achieve that is by using more gain or drive. This would help connect the phrases a little more. Although there's something cool about the simplicity of sound as well especially when you do the fourths on the higher two strings.

The EQ of the guitar seem a little filtered, make sure you "analyze" how the guitar feels to your ears by comparing sounds with famous bands that you like in the same style.

I think these types of collabs are a great exercise to improve on your rhythmic sense. What I notice in your take is that some of the phrases sound really natural and go along with the music, but some others feel rushed, so there's no consistency, and that's the next step to make your playing really sound professional. I guess what you need to do is make that extra effort to really pay attention to every phrase and note that's coming and be in the moment when you are playing and forget about the plans and theory, but this must be done after you have rehearsed it very well and understand what you are going to do.

But don't get me wrong, it's a very good take in general!

- Zen: (1:09-1:44)

Very nice melodic start using simple notes then moving on to the slides and bends. Your melody is very easy to understand and transmits a nice feeling!
The pentatonic part gives it a nice twist, and the ending is a great musical cadence that you intuitively nailed.

You have good timing and sense of melody which can be of a lot of use when writing or improvising!

Your tone is good for this backing in my opinion. It’s harsh but in a cool way. Not too much so that it can’t be listened to easily but enough.

- Guitarrero: (1:44-2:19)

I like the slow paced feel and calmness you have going here. You are using the right scale and I think you are using its degrees right because it doesn’t feel forced.

I can feel the intention you are going for in this solo. Your stops and slow scales can be very expressive, but I think you could be more precise in your phrases, meaning that you don’t hesitate when you are going to start a phrase and just go ahead with it, because it can definitely come through the music recorded. Pay attention to the long notes, when you stay on longer notes sometimes it’s a good idea to use vibrato or thrills.

I know it’s cool to move outside the beat a little bit but when you do that it has to be very clear and easily recognized, I can feel it’s not too clear yet.

- Karlss (2:19-2:54)

You have a clear concept about what scales should be used in general. Try to work on individual phrases that go one after the other. Don’t think of the solo as a long 30 seconds piece of music, but start doing smaller phrases that you would then put together. Sometimes it’s helpful to first imagine one phrase in your head before even playing. Of course, you have to have a decent knowledge of scales and a decent sense of ear to do this.

The tone you used has a lot of unwanted noise in it, maybe due to the amount of gain that you have and also the lack of a noise gate. Or maybe the guitar has the noise somewhere.

- Deleted: (2:54-3:29)

Very nice sense of melody! Yeah, I noticed the Bohemian rhapsody bit, it fits nicely,

I like the way you used the pentatonic scale over the backing. Gives it a nice expressive rocking sound to it. I like the use of blues licks, they make sense and also the ending really feels like you had a direction to reach those higher notes.

Make sure you tune your guitar before recording!! That may take care of the out of tune bendings and long notes.

I think the connecting space between phrases feels a little disjointed, by this I mean you start every phrase nicely and on tempo but then you kind of worry about the next phrase and kind of stop suddenly before starting the next. I believe this is due to the fact that you expect to start the next phrase on time and perfectly, or maybe you have the solo divided in short bits and pieces, you could make them longer.

You can make these spaces a little deorganized and not strict in timing (for instance changing suddenly of rhythm figures, from 8th notes to triplets, from quarter notes to 16th notes, etc), that would help a lot on the overall direction of it.

- Maharzan: (3:29 - 4:04)

Great take! (Your video take is much better than the one on the final mix by the way) To start off, your tone is very nice. No sharp edges, very easy on the ears and well-rounded. The way you grab the guitar and your posture is that of a pro-guitarist, way to go!

I can really tell every phrase from the other and the way it builds up until the end is really interesting and musical. The use of your scales in a non-linear fashion gives the solo a very musical vibe that can be enjoyed freely and that is a great quality on a musician.

- Daniel Realpe (4:04 - end)

I started composing my solo by listening to the backing track on itself for about 4-5 times. Then I heard the beginning in my head and I when for that little starting phrase on the guitar. And from then on I pretty much took the ending of every little musical gesture and imagined the next and then tried to play it. But sometimes I just improvised and left that little bit just as it was.

I didn’t really give too much thought but did go for good takes.

The Eb major scale was used mainly and also a Cm arpeggio in one part, but nothing else really. Of course must of the notes on those scales where reached with bends which makes it sound a little outside.

The tone is a Line 6 octone amp with a random chorus found on the Pod X3.

* Original thread can be found here

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Apr 19 2010, 08:46 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Final_mix.mp3 ( 6.4MB ) Number of downloads: 258

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Deleted
post Apr 19 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.240

Great work everybody! Thanks Daniel!

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
post Apr 20 2010, 04:08 AM
Post #3

Veteran Guitar Lord

Member No.: 7.127

Thank you so much Daniel for the feedback. I am overwhelmed, if that a right word. smile.gif Thanks to you for bringing out such a great backing. It just came instantly. smile.gif I guess this is how great licks are made rather than having to sit there to write the greatest song of all times. I wish it happened more often. biggrin.gif

Yep, for the audio, it was a quick take as I lost my previous video take.. I have the habit to overwrite files because of space limit.. At one time few weeks ago I only had like 1GB of space left.. lol. Sorry about that quick take.

Anyway, thanks again for the collab and the comments. Very motivating! smile.gif

OH, looks like my mix is out of sync in the final mix. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post Apr 20 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

Great mix!
But it seems like my take is quite a bit off the rhythm...that didn't happen in the original take I submitted...hm. I also submitted a second take (the post right under my first take in the uploads section) which has a better sound, maybe you missed it.
Nevertheless, this was a fun collab and I've learned a new scale!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
zen
post Apr 20 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #5

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 3.995

Thanks Daniel. Great take everyone

This post has been edited by zen: Apr 20 2010, 10:35 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Apr 21 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Deleted @ Apr 19 2010, 09:37 PM) *
Great work everybody! Thanks Daniel!

thanks for taking part!

QUOTE (maharzan @ Apr 20 2010, 04:08 AM) *
Thank you so much Daniel for the feedback. I am overwhelmed, if that a right word. smile.gif Thanks to you for bringing out such a great backing. It just came instantly. smile.gif I guess this is how great licks are made rather than having to sit there to write the greatest song of all times. I wish it happened more often. biggrin.gif

Yep, for the audio, it was a quick take as I lost my previous video take.. I have the habit to overwrite files because of space limit.. At one time few weeks ago I only had like 1GB of space left.. lol. Sorry about that quick take.

Anyway, thanks again for the collab and the comments. Very motivating! smile.gif

OH, looks like my mix is out of sync in the final mix. smile.gif

I'm so glad you made a lesson on your work and took part on it!

I put the files starting on the same poitn on my DAW but it seems that it wasn't perfectly in rhythm, sorry about that.

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Apr 20 2010, 09:09 AM) *
Great mix!
But it seems like my take is quite a bit off the rhythm...that didn't happen in the original take I submitted...hm. I also submitted a second take (the post right under my first take in the uploads section) which has a better sound, maybe you missed it.
Nevertheless, this was a fun collab and I've learned a new scale!

I'm very glad that you participated,

I will definitely take into account what you said for future collabs,

QUOTE (zen @ Apr 20 2010, 10:31 AM) *
Thanks Daniel. Great take everyone

thank you for taking part!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post May 2 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #7

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

Great work guys! I enjoyed listening to this collab track! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
post Jun 17 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 7.343

As I'm participating on a Daniel's "Nocturnal Ballad Collab" I was searching for some inspirantion on this Piano collab.
Guys all of you have done an amazing job! ohmy.gif
I can't get enough of listening the final mix. Very interesting to notice how many different tones and ideias fit so well together.
Congrats everybody, Congrats Daniel.
I'm sure Nocturnal Ballad will be amazing either! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Jun 20 2010, 01:36 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 2 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Great work guys! I enjoyed listening to this collab track! smile.gif

thank you Bogdan!

QUOTE (Keep_Rocking @ Jun 17 2010, 04:47 PM) *
As I'm participating on a Daniel's "Nocturnal Ballad Collab" I was searching for some inspirantion on this Piano collab.
Guys all of you have done an amazing job! ohmy.gif
I can't get enough of listening the final mix. Very interesting to notice how many different tones and ideias fit so well together.
Congrats everybody, Congrats Daniel.
I'm sure Nocturnal Ballad will be amazing either! wink.gif

thanks man! I've seen great takes so far!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 24 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Excellent collaboration, well made, and it was very nice to hear it. Great work guys! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Jun 25 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 24 2010, 09:02 PM) *
Excellent collaboration, well made, and it was very nice to hear it. Great work guys! smile.gif

thank you Ivan

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 04:32 PM