2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Important Part Is A Volume Pedal For A Pedal Board?
Volume-pedal needed?
Is a volume pedal an essential part of a pedal board?
Yes [ 11 ] ** [37.93%]
No [ 10 ] ** [34.48%]
volume? I crank it to 11 anyways... [ 8 ] ** [27.59%]
Total Votes: 29
Guests cannot vote 
mhskeide
Apr 28 2010, 12:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Howdy

I`m in the middle of choosing size for pedal board, as some might have noticed from my previous thread.
I can`t seem to entirely make up my mind regarding volume pedal. Doing volume swells and thinks associated with this becomes a lot easier than doing it with the volume knob of the guitar, but the pedal requires a bit of space in addition that it`s not a particularly cheap pedal. I just put up a poll for you to easier say your opinion, though I still appreciate some input smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 28 2010, 12:56 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I guess it boils down to the songs you play, if you need it a lot for certain songs then go for it, if it will not be used much then better keep the stomp chain as short and useful as possible, just my 2 cents smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Apr 28 2010, 01:01 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Fran @ Apr 28 2010, 01:56 PM) *
I guess it boils down to the songs you play, if you need it a lot for certain songs then go for it, if it will not be used much then better keep the stomp chain as short and useful as possible, just my 2 cents smile.gif

Yesterday I felt like I really need it, but then suddenly a voice said to me: and what specificly do you need it for tongue.gif
Maybe I rather should teach my self to control the volumeknob better first smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 28 2010, 01:06 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Voted no..
I have never used one, and probably never will smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 28 2010, 01:07 PM
Instructor
Dunno, could be useful if you think you have a use for it. It's amazing what creativity can do to the most of simplest of effects and knobs wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 28 2010, 02:09 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 28 2010, 01:06 PM) *
Voted no..

same here, if I`ve ever need to knock off the volume a little I`ve always rolled it off on the guitar, but I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I`ve ever done that smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 28 2010, 02:18 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 28 2010, 02:06 PM) *
Voted no..

Same here.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 28 2010, 02:31 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I have one on mine, I love the thing. There are a lot of other things you can do besides volume swells, I like to do this thing where the volume is changed from zero to 100 with the slightest touch of the pedal, it gives it this laser gun effect. You can adjust the sensitivity and range of the swell on mine which is fun to use.

Although to be honest, It only pops up in about 20% of my songs, If even.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Apr 28 2010, 02:40 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Apr 28 2010, 07:01 AM) *
Maybe I rather should teach my self to control the volumeknob better first smile.gif

This. smile.gif

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 28 2010, 04:34 PM
Instructor
well i NEED a volume pedal or good EQ on the loop fx while playing live, 100% of the times.

I use them for the solo parts, an eq is better because you can boost the volume AND some freqs to make ur solo cut the mix, but if not a volume pedal will do the job too (at least for your own monitoring).

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 28 2010, 04:55 PM
Im surprised no one is telling you that you need one.

personally, i never use the volume knob on my guitar for volume, i use it to adjust tone. I need a volume pedal because if no one is mixing your sound, it is your job to do it. If you have a solo, you obviously need to be louder. If you bass player has a solo, or if your singer is singing, or if anyone else has the spot light, it is your job to get low. If you want to lower your volume with out changing out tone (IE volume knob), you will want a volume pedal. The good thing is that it will be the most inexpensive pedal in your board!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 28 2010, 04:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Apr 28 2010, 02:40 PM) *
This. smile.gif

only problem playing with high gain- you need noise gate- therefore you roll down your volume and your gate cuts out
solution -pedal
in low gain i will use volume on guitar- so learn how to
but my vote is for pedal

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 28 2010, 05:35 PM
I use a 3rd Hand hooked up to a the volume control of a pedal I have on most of the time (a modified overdrive with nice tone). That way I don't suck tone with a volume pedal. Even if you have good bypass if a pedal has a lot of metal casing, it will still suck tone. That is why Boss pedals don't, they are engineered to be as good as true bypass, and are small.

The 3rd hand seems to work pretty well for my purposes.

http://www.guitar-effects-pedal.com/tone-i...xpression-pedal

I got mine for something like $55 I think, new, free shipping. You have to shop around and be patient. Vai uses one of these for other purposes, it is a nice item to have.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 28 2010, 05:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
As always the only important question to buying a pedal is:

Do YOU need it? Does your playing requires this pedal or is it just a waste of space on your board because you will never use it?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 28 2010, 05:51 PM
Fran is right IMHO. It reall boils down to what you will be playing. A lot of players use the volume knob on the guitar itself for swells and such. But many do use a pedal. As far as the brand, as long as you go with something reputable it should be fine.

Practice!
Todd
QUOTE (Fran @ Apr 28 2010, 07:56 AM) *

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 28 2010, 06:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
I dont use it when Im playing, rather to make the guitar shut up & be quiet between the songs...... in conjunction with a tuner, it can also be real useful. But playing-wise, I prefer the knob.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 28 2010, 08:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think volume pedal will be a nice addition to the pedalboard if you have space for it. If nothing you can use it for making guitar quiet between songs and making leads louder etc...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
enforcer
Apr 28 2010, 09:55 PM
Well when I am on stage, sometimes besides its normal use, volume pedal saves the day if you have an incompetent sound engineer...

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 28 2010, 10:13 PM
In my opinion, most pedals are pretty worthless. Only effects I need are a bit of delay, distortion, and reverb. Maybe a wah pedal for fun. I would like a noise gate though O.o

However this is just what *I* think

I certainly wouldn't see the harm in a volume pedal but I wouldn't freak out if I didn't have one.

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Apr 28 2010, 10:15 PM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 29 2010, 03:56 PM
Instructor
It would depend on much of volume changes you are going to use in your particular case.

And also if your guitar volume know is in good conditions and is comfortable to handle.

For instance, most guys in the metal world just use their guitar's knob to control volume, because they only use it at the start and end of each song.

But if you are going to be doing fades and don't to be spending energy with your right picking hand, then it's better to have it at your feet.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:50 AM