Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scales That Need To Be Practice?
guitargod
post Apr 9 2007, 08:01 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.485

i was at a bookshop that day when i saw a book that says the ultimate scale book u ever need,so i was hearing ppl say that we need to practice playing the scales,so what are the scales that is a must know for the guitarist??

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ibanez_player
post Apr 9 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.006

The essential ones are major and minor pentatonic as well as the full major and minor. Get those down so you don't even have to think about where the notes are. You want to be able to play in any position in any key.

+Quote Post
moorkop
post Apr 9 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.045

especially if you want to become a guitar god wink.gif

however, this also depends on your style
i play blues stuff, so i definetely need to have the blues scale, and for passing notes i use notes from minor and major scales (or whichever notes sound good)

i think a must for every guitar player is the pentatonic scale, or at least the box, its the basic solo box and the easiest to use

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
guitargod
post Apr 9 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.485

QUOTE (moorkop @ Apr 9 2007, 12:56 PM) *
especially if you want to become a guitar god wink.gif

however, this also depends on your style
i play blues stuff, so i definetely need to have the blues scale, and for passing notes i use notes from minor and major scales (or whichever notes sound good)

i think a must for every guitar player is the pentatonic scale, or at least the box, its the basic solo box and the easiest to use

thanks for the advice dude,but can u elaborate more on the basic solo box? what do u mean by box?

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!

+Quote Post
moorkop
post Apr 9 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.045

a box, the pentatonic box is a part of the fretboard on which you play the scale
i'm not a theory instructor so i bet andrew can explain this a thousand times better

here some boxes are discussed:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3304

you also see a few images of boxes (of major scales)

if you see the beginner guitar lessons kris also explains some boxes
i'm not sure which exact lessons those are but if you look around you'll find them

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 9 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (guitargod @ Apr 9 2007, 09:57 AM) *
thanks for the advice dude,but can u elaborate more on the basic solo box? what do u mean by box?

box = scale for a particular position on the nech. Each scale has a number of boxes (one for every note in the scale in fact) so you have a variety of boxes for each scale. The idea is you learn a selection of these and then you can connect them together into runs up and down the neck. In terms of which to learn I would echo what has been said above, and suggest the following order:

1. Pentatonic - easy to learn and will get you far in soloing
2. Major & Minor - adds depth for songs that aren't really suited to pentatonic, and give you options for passing notes as moorkop says)

At this stage you are in great shape if you have learned all the boxes. Then you want to add variety as follows:

3. Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor - a couple of scale variations that might work well for songs with a specific feel
4. Major modes - this is where you start to add a lot of variety to your note selection

By now you are an awesome guitar playing dude, now if you want to start getting wierd ....

5. Exotic scales - there are hundreds of them.

I use the Guitar Grimoire as a scale and modes reference, there is a specific book in the series devoted to it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2017 - 01:44 PM