Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pick Grip And Hand Position For Sweeping And Alt Picking
Shredly
post May 18 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.353

Ive been working heavily on ap and sweep technique for the last 6 months. Im practicing picking exercises 2-6 hours a day. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and ive gotten faster and more accurate. I have hit a roadblock and slower progress and im questioning my practice now. I find myself changing how i grip the pick and position my hand constantly. I cant find anything comfortable and really dont know what to stick with. There are so many ways to grip the pick (2 or 3 fingers, angled, various sides of the forefinger, thumb barely on, pick way down the thumb etc.) I also cant figure out what to do with my hand. I leave it anchored on the bridge but im always changing the rotation of the wrist towards and away from higher and lower strings. This is frustrating because i dont want to practice something that isnt efficient or that holds me back. Advice?

Thanks,

Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post May 18 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Shredly @ May 18 2010, 12:57 PM) *
Ive been working heavily on ap and sweep technique for the last 6 months. Im practicing picking exercises 2-6 hours a day. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and ive gotten faster and more accurate. I have hit a roadblock and slower progress and im questioning my practice now. I find myself changing how i grip the pick and position my hand constantly. I cant find anything comfortable and really dont know what to stick with. There are so many ways to grip the pick (2 or 3 fingers, angled, various sides of the forefinger, thumb barely on, pick way down the thumb etc.) I also cant figure out what to do with my hand. I leave it anchored on the bridge but im always changing the rotation of the wrist towards and away from higher and lower strings. This is frustrating because i dont want to practice something that isnt efficient or that holds me back. Advice?

Thanks,

Andy

I'm right there with you
all I can say is that i am trying to make sure there is no long term pain
I think we are going to just be patient through it and keep on keepin on

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post May 18 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7.145

You can safely rule out 3-fingers and "lots of pick showing" if you want to be sweeping. I can't recommend those from personal experience and I've heard only stories of "I used to hold the pick with three fingers" from the greats.

"I used to" is a pretty compelling reason to stop when the legends say it smile.gif

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 18 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

Okay, here's my advice.

However you hold the pick when you grab it is how you should hold it. It should be the natural way you hold it. However, you say you do not know how to hold it - you can't make up your mind. wink.gif If you find the way you hold the pick when you AP and sweep comfortable and effecient, practice holding the pick in this way as your normal way. This way your picking style will not change as you move from technique to technique.

Remember: keep your picking style the same for everything, if at all possible. It is crucial to the ease of playing guitar.

So long as your pick is in the same position in your fingers you should be fine. I sometimes play with my fingers fanned out, and sometimes I don't. (I use 2 fingers myself) But I always keep my position of the pick the same: meaning, as you said, "There are so many ways to grip the pick (2 or 3 fingers, angled, various sides of the forefinger, thumb barely on, pick way down the thumb etc.)" Settle on a way that is most comfortable and effecient for you. Everybody's different.

As far as anchoring the pinky, that's also a personal preference. Some people say it is not good, and it will slow you down. This may be correct in some instances, but it's all according to the way you pick and what you're playing.

If you haven't already, you should attend the chats with Todd Simpson. He is going over AP right now. I'm sure he'd give you some great advice and/or ideas. Here's his instructor profile with dates and times of his chats.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p?showuser=8794

Good luck!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post May 18 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.694

I always observerd to what my favorite players did, and tried to copy them,

If it sounds right the way they do it then they must be doing it right. At first it might feel foreign but then you incorporate it and internalize it and it becomes a habit,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post May 18 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (thefireball @ May 18 2010, 09:00 AM) *
Remember: keep your picking style the same for everything, if at all possible. It is crucial to the ease of playing guitar.

(5) Strongly disagree.

QUOTE (Muris @ Every time someone asks)
My grip changes and depends on what I'm playing.

1. Find someone playing the technique in GMC's thousands of videos.
2. Try it that way.
3. When that doesn't work as well as you hoped, shoot video of yourself doing the same thing.
4. Post the video in a thread.
5. Wait for comments that say "you're doing it right, you just need practice."
6. Practice.
7. goto 6

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post May 18 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 10.312

I hold the pick the same way for sweeps as I do AP - thumb and first finger, slightly angled. Here's what Paul Gilbert has to say about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE

Personally, I don't see a reason to hold it any differently. When going from AP to a sweep, you don't really have time to re-position the pick anyways.

Also, progress always slows down from your initial learning experience, so don't let that frustrate you.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 18 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 18 2010, 12:09 PM) *
Personally, I don't see a reason to hold it any differently. When going from AP to a sweep, you don't really have time to re-position the pick anyways.

I agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
post May 18 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #9

There's more to the position than just the thumb and forefinger which, I agree, you don't want to move those around in the situation described. You might want to change the alignment of your wrist. Watch the professionals (not me) very closely and see what they do when they really need to speed up.

Also look at how little of the pick is showing below the thumb

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post May 18 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

I understand your concern, but this is because the grip isn't quite natural to you yet. Have patience, in time you will develop a nice natural grip that you won't have to think about. Most important thing is that you play comfortably and precisely during practice, everything else will fall into place after a while. Good luck.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 19 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Todd here smile.gif For Alternate Picking I'd suggest gripping the pick so that not much pick is sticking out. Here are some things to try.

ALTERNATE PICKING TIPS AND TRICKS
1.)Choke up on the pick. Only the point should be sticking out.
2.)Try holding the pick so that the point is at a 90 degre angle to your thumb.
3.)Try a very heavy pick, 1.2 MM or greater so as to eliminate "flex" in the pick.
4.)Try to sharpen your pick to a point with sandpaper or dremmel or what not so that the surface area
striking the string is as small as possible. There are some "training" picks that are shaped this way on purpose.
5.)Work with a metronome ALWAYS so that you keep your picking even.

6.)MOST IMPORTANT: Join me this saturday and every saturday for a live VIDEO CHAT lesson on ALTERNATE PICKING. We have been doing a series on that very topic for several weeks now. Here are the notes so far. Many great workouts to try.

LESSON NOTES ON GMC FOR MY ALTERNATE PICKING SERIES

Above all
Practice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shredly
post May 19 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 7.353

Good info. I was a little premature on this post because after todays practice my confidence that im on the right track was boosted. After fiddling around tonight i learned that im not choking up enough on the back side of the pick. I did that and my attack was sooooooo much better. After all these months im starting to pick up some serious speed and accuracy. I think synchronization is the next step towards faster speeds. Any help on that?

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 27 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #13

Learning Roadie

I'm glad you are improving, and hopefully this topic will be of good use others as well in the future. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 03:10 AM