Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Increasing Metronome
jstcrsn
post May 19 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.733

how do you know when it is time to increase the blasted piece of essential equipment
I know i need to push myself but im struggling with not getting to sloopy
??????????
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
post May 19 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Experienced Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.135

I had a friend of mine that used to build aerobatic airplanes. He always prided himself on how light he built them. I once asked him, "How do you know when you've built them too light?" He replied, "They come apart in the air."

You'll know by how you feel when you're playing. I turn it up to the point where I can't quite play it cleanly anymore. Then I keep it there until I can. With pieces that have faster, or more difficult parts, I use that part to gauge the speed of the metronome. There is no sense in getting the less difficult parts to speed, if you can't play the harder parts cleanly. How many times have we seen comments like that, from instructors? "Spend more time with the faster runs to clean them up." I think this is a case of speeding up the metronome too quickly. So you can play 90 per cent of the piece at speed and cleanly, but not the more technical 10 per cent?

Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post May 19 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #3

my biggest hurddle is ascending scales outside the strings any thoughts

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post May 19 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #4

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

practice practice practice....
Once you feel comfortable with a certain speed, increase the metronome by 5-10 beats, play the scale a couple of times. If you can do it cleanly, increase the beats again.
I found out that it can also be a good idea to play without a metronome now and then and just let the speed come naturally. I did that for a few days in a row, then practised the same lick with a metronome again and was astonished to see that I could to it 20 beats faster without a problem...

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post May 19 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ May 19 2010, 03:32 PM) *
practice practice practice....
Once you feel comfortable with a certain speed, increase the metronome by 5-10 beats, play the scale a couple of times. If you can do it cleanly, increase the beats again.
I found out that it can also be a good idea to play without a metronome now and then and just let the speed come naturally. I did that for a few days in a row, then practised the same lick with a metronome again and was astonished to see that I could to it 20 beats faster without a problem...

sometimes i can ,sometimes not
some days im fast, some days im not even close -and this is whats confussing me
don't know how to practice through the slow and sloopy days

+Quote Post
maharzan
post May 19 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Veteran Guitar Lord

Member No.: 7.127

Ye, Practice efficiently and properly analyzing where you are picking wrongly or how your fingers / right hand are working. Unless you do that, even practicing won't help much. I have at times experienced that even after a month of same lick practice, I am getting worse day by day. You could pickit 80% the first day and after a month you can only 50%. I know this shouldn't be happening but it has esp when I am practicing high speed lessons.

So, yes, its all about practicing properly. smile.gif

Good Luck mate.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post May 19 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #7

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

When you can comfortably play on certain tempo and you feel its clean and everything (not sloppy) , go on and push yourself and speed up the metronome. You shouldn't always practice tempos you are comfortable with, rather tackle ones that are not. Slowly, sometimes you have to go in increments by 1 bpm.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Artemus
post May 20 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #8

Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 6.743

From the replies that have been posted, it would seem to boil down to efficient practice, self-critical analysis and slow increments in speed. I agree completely with all that's been said. If you want to achieve a good speed, accurately, with the ability to perform at that speed as the norm, the approach has to be slow and you have to be patient.

Asking when to increase the metronome is a valid question, and to be honest, I'm surprised it's not asked more often. However, I think there's more to the question. As mentioned, merely increasing the bpm doesn't mean that the next time you practice you'll be able to take off from the newly achieved speed. Indeed, it sometimes seems that you're going backwards.

I'm no authority on this - I'm also struggling a lot with trying to regain the speed I used to have before I gave up guitar last year. Just recouping the lost speed is hard enough, let alone trying to make improvements. Nevertheless, here are my thoughts on the matter:

It's not about a particular bpm and it's not about knowing when to bump up the speed. Hear me out.. There are quite a few techniques, or rather, practice methods that adopt using a metronome to increase speed and accuracy.
1) The original, tried and tested: play at one speed until it's clean - increase by 2-4bpm and repeat until you start losing the accuracy, then go back a few bpm and repeat the process
2) Blasting - combination of method (1) and pushing the bpm well beyond your limit and just blasting out whatever you can at that speed, concentrating not on hitting every note, but rather the motion and feel of that speed. Then go back to the speed where you were just about having difficulties in method (1) and seeing whether you can push the bpm any further. This should only be tried briefly in my experience but it helps you focus on the goal and reminds your hands what they're after - if movements are too large, if there is excessive tension, or anything else that will impede your speed - it will be more obvious at ludicrous speed than within your comfort zone. Then you can focus practice to honing and adopting the appropriate technique
3) Speed bursts - if it's a lick/scale just take the first two notes at speed. When you can play those two notes at the speed, add the next note and play those three notes at speed. When you can do that, add the next note and play those four notes at speed. Then just carry on in the additive process. This doesn't help with everything, but it can be a lifesaver if you're struggling with a particular lick in methods (1) or (2) that just doesn't seem to come.
4) Play VERY SLOWLY - this is very important, perhaps more so than the previous approaches. When I say slow, I mean S-L-O-W. The goal here isn't speed (obviously), it's accuracy, and believe it or not, speed can be a by-product of accuracy. Aiming for speed before accuracy is, to my mind, putting the cart before the horse. When playing slowly, you have the time to concentrate on everything that's important that you can't focus on simultaneously when you're shredding away at 2 million bpm. Focus on good posture (back, shoulders, arms, legs, wrists, thumb, fingers), relaxation and the correct amount of tension in the right places, synchronisity between fretting and picking/note length, the gaps between notes, the amount of movement being made by each hand, picking angle..etc.
5) Record/analyse - a good practice is to record yourself practicing and then slow it right down so that you can analyse your playing in the same manner as you would in method (4)

If you have the time and dedication, it's useful to keep a practice journal with a list of tempos and things you've noticed about your playing. If you managed, even if only for a split second, to hit a perfect run of notes at speed, try to recall what went through your mind at that moment or what you were thinking (or not thinking).

Lastly, when working on increasing speed and focusing on a specific tempo mark, I don't find it helpful to just use a single value as a gauge of what you can achieve. As has already been mentioned, it's not possible to achieve said tempo everyday because there are lots of factors that can influence our playing.
Try instead to have a tempo RANGE and aim to increase this RANGE. This takes the stress off trying to push one particular speed. Therefore, keep a note of a tempo at which you can achieve everything perfectly, day-in-day-out; a tempo range in which you can play fairly comfortably but have to keep focused; the highest tempo that you've managed to play at reasonably; the highest tempo you've managed to only just keep together; the tempo(s) around which you start missing out notes; and the tempo at which your fingers start to disintegrate and tears start to flow wink.gif

I'd also like to add that talking to supportive people (of which there are plenty here) can keep you motivated and not fall to despair, which can be very easy to do. Also.. take breaks and have FUN!

This post has been edited by Artemus: May 20 2010, 11:21 AM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Jun 4 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #9

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

Don't get to concerned with that, believe me. It is better to undervalue your speed then overvalue. Take your time. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
post Jun 5 2010, 06:36 AM
Post #10

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 3.995

Wow .. awesome advices in this thread

I should read this thread every week to remind myself not to stress out or get obsessed with increasing speed smile.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 5 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Some great replies and the guys are right, PRACTICE! It's the key to pretty much everything. Also, I'm teaching alternate picking and speed lessons on Saturdays in the video chat rooms so please do join us. We start at 2:00 E.S.T. and 7:00 PM C.E.T. In the mean time, check out this link for a series of lessons designed to help you work up your speed and precision. 11 lessons so far covering what we have been doing in the vid sessions. You are in the right place! GMC is the best place you could be IMHO to help you grow as a player. The commmunity here is amazing!

LESSON NOTES AND TABLATURE 1-10

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2017 - 04:55 AM