> What Pickups Should I Get?, I play hard rock/metal
thefireball
post May 25 2010, 04:29 AM
Post #21

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.801

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 24 2010, 06:23 PM) *
The battery is draining as long as the guitar cable is plugged in, regardless of the amp being on. Just unplug your guitar if you don't play it

EMG say that with a high quality 9v battery their pickups will last 2000 hours...
One month still makes 24hx30d=720 Hours. And your friend might have already played with that battery for some months or weeks...
And it might have also been a cheap battery.

I can say that even with a lot of playing, you won't have to change the battery more than once a year!

wow, thanks! I will be sure to unplug my guitar after I'm done. smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Jul 24 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #22

Learning Roadie

I now agree with ZakkWylde's judgement. I sent him a PM to let him know. biggrin.gif EMG 81/85s is overkill in that Ibanez IJX 121. Thank you everybody for your help. I'm going for a much cheaper pickup setup.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Jul 25 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #23

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 10.312

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 23 2010, 07:09 PM) *
Just my 2 cents but do you really want to spend 150-200$ for pickups on your IJX 121? It doesn't make much sense to put in pickups that are almost as expensive as the whole guitar...
Sure it will improve the sound a bit but it won't make a cheap guitar sound like a 1000$ guitar - you might want to save that money and invest it in a new, more expensive guitar.

hah. great thread to dig up. Ok, well here's my take.

1. make your 200 dollar guitar sound like an $800 guitar? YEAH! why not save 600 bucks? Besides, if you sell your 200 dollar guitar, just put the old pickups back in it, keep the new ones to replace the ones in your new guitar! I see no loss here!

I'm seriously considering getting some EMGs. But I'm also seriously thinking about getting some Evos' perhaps both ! WTH. not because they are Steve Vai's thing (personally, there's only one Steve VAi song I actuall like...) but because I"ve heard some studio recording technicians say that Evos are great for recording. I'm sure I'll hear from our resident expert on his opinion on this, but since I"m confined to my room for recording and not able to go play with the boyz on stage, therein lies my preferencial thinking on the matter wink.gif

Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Jul 25 2010, 02:16 AM
Post #24

Learning Roadie

I definitely don't wanna sell my black Ibanez. I know it's cheap, but it was my first guitar after all! biggrin.gif I wanna use it still. So I'll just get some cheap pickups after I play on a guitar that has those pickups = and I like them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shatterd
post Jul 25 2010, 02:22 AM
Post #25

GMC:er

Member No.: 9.450

Ha....I have one of those Ibanez IJX 121 guitars here at the house. It came in an Ibanez starter kit along with a 15 watt amp. Got it at a pawn shop. Actually that guitar is not too bad. The stock pickups are OK. The guitar stays in tune pretty good. It does some decent metal tones. The pickups do have that metal humbucker edge to them as you would expect from a good humbucker....they just do not compare to a good Dimarzio or EMG humbucker.

I bought one of those starter kits many years ago and the guitar and amp were total crap. This Ibanez kit is actually far better than what I had when I started. I think the IJX 121 is decent enough to invest in pickups. Really it aint bad at all for a starter kit guitar. I really wish that guitar came in my starter kit many years ago.

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 25 2010, 02:50 AM
Post #26

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I think you are heading the right way skipping the EMGs for this particular guitar. It's a bit much considering the instrument. I'm sure you can find a much cheaper option to get it sounding right. Save the EMG's for a nicer axe.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Jul 25 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #27

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 10.312

I'm just not looking at the situation the same way as you guys. I don't consider pickups to be married for life to a guitar. I consider them as swappable components - buy some kick-butt pickups, stickem in your trashy guitar, then one day when you get a kick-butt guitar, if that kick butt guitar doens't have kick-butt pickups, swap those pups with the ones in your trashy guitar and you're gold.

But again - that's just the way I look at em. Pickups last a lifetime don't they? I mean, you go to ebay to get vintage guitars with the original pickups - not like they go bad, unless you really mistreat them.

cool.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 01:47 AM