Broken Finger - Suggestions?
JCJXXL
Jun 8 2010, 05:27 PM
GMC:er
I broke my finger yesterday. The ring finger on my fretting hand. Obviously I can't use it for 8 weeks but I've decided to continue with music theory (I really enjoy theory) and as far a playing goes power chords, drop D. Any other suggestions? Now may be a good time to focus in on pinky exercises... any suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jun 8 2010, 05:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
I wouldn't really risk giving you any good pinky exercises, as the pinky is very strongly connected to the ring finger, but if you're going for music theory, then check out this amazing tool: http://www.musiclearningtools.net wink.gif

Get well soon smile.gif Don't strain your fretting hand, maybe 8 weeks away from your guitar can have a very positive effect: your fingers' strength will be rejuvenated, and you can use this time to learn more music theory and develop your aural skills (ear) by composing etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 8 2010, 06:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would definitely go with the theory and also you could practice picking hands tapping technique patterns (without the use of the left hand) if you're into that technique.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 8 2010, 06:25 PM
Instructor
dont use the hand at all, i think it will be better.
get some theory, maybe start on piano with just the right hand, singing, keep growing musically smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 8 2010, 06:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
When Ron Jarzombek injured his hand, he wrote this:
Point is: You could practice your ear and transcribe things biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 8 2010, 06:43 PM
Man, don't use your fretting hand at all!
Just give enough time to heal. And be careful after that. I broke ring finger (fretting hand) more than 10 years ago and sometimes I still feel it if I play guitar for really long time. dry.gif

Otherwise, music theory and maybe use the time to discover other music styles

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 8 2010, 06:45 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 8 2010, 06:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
DON'T STOP PLAYING!

In the beginning it will feel weird but 3 fretting fingers is actually enough to play most stuff! A friend of mine from a Rock band cut of the tip of his ring finger and he is not able to use it for fretting for a month now - However he played 2 gigs already AND HE IS THE LEAD GUITARIST!

Just get your broken finger fixed in a position where it doesn't hit the fretboard and use your other three fingers! Except for some big chords and some runs there is not much that can not be played with an alternative fingering! All you have to do is get used to not using your ring finger for a while but that will only strengthen your other fingers, especially the pinky!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 8 2010, 07:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Jun 8 2010, 09:27 AM) *
I broke my finger yesterday. The ring finger on my fretting hand. Obviously I can't use it for 8 weeks but I've decided to continue with music theory (I really enjoy theory) and as far a playing goes power chords, drop D. Any other suggestions? Now may be a good time to focus in on pinky exercises... any suggestions?

Ask your doctor what is acceptible and what is not. I'm sure as time goes by, you'll be able to do more, but the initial healing phase (first week) is the time you want it to rest the most so don't do anything for at least that time - after that - let pain (and your doctor's orders) be the guide.

Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Fre
Jun 8 2010, 07:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Play like Django Reinhardt!
He didn't had a pinky-, ring-, and middle finger!
But maybe it doesn't fit in in your choice of music. smile.gif

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jun 8 2010, 08:05 PM
Great suggestions everyone. I appreciate everyone's input and will definitely take the advice to heart. Thanks again for the suggestions.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 9 2010, 11:46 AM
Jazz Instructor
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Jun 8 2010, 05:27 PM) *

Logically, let it rest for 8 weeks, in meantime focus on rest of the fingers, nothing is so dramatic, just practice.
Do you know that bodybuilder continue to exercise even if they injure arm or leg? Of course, not the injured part but rest of the body.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 9 2010, 03:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Jun 8 2010, 05:27 PM) *

just a note -when you get your cast off , make sure there is full mobility
The doctor might need to do some therapy if it does not have full movement
I tell you this because , I broke my arm and the doctor did not set it right, I then had to switch from right to left handed guitar
I would also stay away from any exercises on this hand

+Quote Post
Martz
Jun 20 2010, 12:10 AM
The following depends a lot on the location of the fracture. If the joint involved you are in bigger problem than if it isn't. Hopefully you've visited the hospital and got a cast or other fixation. An x-ray is mandatory since you depend so much on your fingers (as a guitarplayer)

It takes 6-8 weeks for a bony fracture to heal and during that time you should NOT play, definately not if you feel pain. After you've done a control x-ray and the fracture is healed you can start playing but "listen to the pain" (swedish expression, but i think you know what I mean). The muscles must have enough time to recover after the loss of strenght you've had during the immobility.

Like someone already have mentioned the two lateral fingers are connected by tendons so you cant really move one without effecting the other. But you should be able to do some slow fingerexcercies to keep up the flexibility and to reduce the swelling. Your local physical therapist/osteopath/chiro/whatever should be able to help.

Regards,
Martz
Physical therapist/guitarlegend wannabe

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 28 2010, 06:24 PM
Instructor
nice funnie on this topic, heheh

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
guerrillaradio
Jul 1 2010, 05:44 PM
As with other people in this thread, I highly recommend you let your hand heal. Work on music theory. This music theory site is really good: http://www.teoria.com/

It has some good exercises.

This post has been edited by guerrillaradio: Jul 1 2010, 07:50 PM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 2 2010, 08:46 AM
Learn to play stuff by "Stiff Little Fingers" tongue.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:16 AM