rokchik
post Jun 10 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #1

Moderator - The Dark Canuck
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.395

Well it's that time again... looking at getting a new guitar smile.gif

This time I'm looking for a new acoustic. Not that there is anything wrong with my current acoustic, but I'm looking for an electric/ acoustic to take to parties and such.

There is a new music shop here in my town... actually it is the only music shop in my town and they are bringing in Tanglewood guitars. I have never heard of this line before and was just wondering if they are worth a look at. I've just started this process and have played a few guitars already but want to take in all my options before making a decision.

Thanking you all in advance smile.gif

rok
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
post Jun 10 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.124

tanglewood guitars are amazing! you can hardly ever find them in the US, if they ever are on US ebay, they get snatched soooooo fast

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
emirb
post Jun 10 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Experienced Tone Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.457

tanglewood is known as a poor mans taylor(martin?) guitar, should count for something smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Jun 10 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Thanks guys smile.gif I looked at their site last evening and they seem really nice, but looks are one thing sound is another. I noticed Marc that they are only recently being made available in North America. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get my hands on one to play and that will be the ultimate test for sure. I'll let you guys know how things went, I think the shop here is only bringing in low to mid price range but said they could order in if I wanted something a bit more expensive. We'll see how it goes... eyeing a very nice Takamine and a Fender as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Jun 10 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

I think that it is absolutely neccesary to play an accoustic before you buy one - even more than with electric guitars!!
I have tried 200$ accoustics that I loved and i tried 2000$ ones that sounded like garbage... You already know how you want your accoustic to sound like in your head, all you have to to now is go to a store and try out guitars until you find what you like, regardless of brand and price!!!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jun 10 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #6

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Definitely in store test will be ultimate decision. I don't have much experience with that brand but from what I can read on internet they should be more then nice. Just remember to try as many guitars in store as you can so that you have a good comparison.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Jun 11 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jun 10 2010, 04:26 PM) *
Definitely in store test will be ultimate decision. I don't have much experience with that brand but from what I can read on internet they should be more then nice. Just remember to try as many guitars in store as you can so that you have a good comparison.

My problem is I only have one guitar store here in town and they don't have a lot of acoustics in... also they are only stocking basically entry level guitars ATM since they just opened. I have to rely on when I can travel to get to another store. Like I said I've played a few already and there were a couple I really liked. I just never heard of Tanglewood before and wasn't sure what they were like. I've read a bit more about them and seen some reviews and they seem like pretty good guitars actually. This is going to be a long process I think, due to lack of availablity for me play different models.

wish me luck smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jun 12 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Choosing acoustics is not that difficult IF you go frequently into stores and try a lot of them (this is one of my hobbys, guys at the shop hate me biggrin.gif ). After a while you will have pretty good idea what guitar has thin sound, rich sound, smooth sound, more bass, less bass, more dynamics...

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 03:48 PM