Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Often Do You Play Chords?
stratman33
post Apr 12 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.300

just kinda wondering about how often you play chords in your song.im not a fan of playing more than 3 note per string chords, mostly just chords i make up.i mostly use single string play.just wondering how much you play chords and how much you play single string in your songs.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Apr 12 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #2

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

I didn't play many chords for like half a year ago. Than something switched in my head and i just started to incorporating them in songs and it became much more interesting to play.

I think it all depends on a person. Take Eric Johnson for example - he is total Chord Master!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
post Apr 12 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.161

I only played chords for a very long time; managed to have a moderately successful band doing so. Now that I'm an old fucker with kids who can't afford to be playing $500 gigs in places like Poland, I've decided to learn a lot more about lead and such. However, I'm glad I learned the way that I did because I think it made me a much better song writer.

+Quote Post
stratman33
post Apr 18 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.300

any1 else? sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wheeler
post Apr 18 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.391

It's all a matter of preference. Some people are happy playing nothing but single-note leads all the time, and that's fine. Some people play nothing BUT chords, and that's fine too. IMHO - one of the great things about a guitar is that you can play BOTH whenever you want....not a lot of instruments have chordal capability....so if you NEVER play chords, you're really not taking advantage of the instrument's capabilities. You're a stratman...listen to Hendrix. He mixes chords and single-note lead playing so well that you can't really say that he's playing one or the other. So I say, learn to play chords and learn to play them well. As always, it's better to have the ability and not use it than to want to use it and not have it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by wheeler: Apr 18 2007, 10:33 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
post Apr 18 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.061

I know nothing about chords really. In my band I just use power chords, barre chords, maybe 3-4 other shapes I use all over the fretboard and tons of chords I just made myself, I have no idea what they are called. I want to learn more though, I'm just a bit lazy thats all smile.gif Would have been great with some chord lessons on GMC, but I guess the theory board already got stuff like that. I should really start practice some theory tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BlueChaoz
post Apr 19 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.373

I like Chords biggrin.gif

I play em very often: I´mPracticing 50% Chords and 50% technics! That allows me to play a lot of stuff.. I can play a few Songs on campfire and im able to play some licks & other stuff!
Chords are a part of the basics on guitar, I think.. So its very important to know some!

But the most important is, that you have fun with your instrument!

So far
Markus

This post has been edited by BlueChaoz: Apr 19 2007, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 11:20 AM