2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top 5 Guitar Influences?
post Jul 8 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #21

Veteran Guitar Lord

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.127

I haven't really listened closely to any guitarists except Satriani, perhaps I just don't like the styles of others. Anyway, there are few if I may make a list.

1. Satriani (love his melody along with solo stuff, almost all the songs)
2. Andy Timmons (love his emotional playing, have heard a few and I m loving him)
3. Muris Varajic (his phrasing even in super fast speed is just awesome)
4. Vai (I only like his For Love of God, seems like he poses just too much, no offense, other songs are just a tad bit heavier on my ears)
5. Gilbert (I don't like his songs, superfast and like Vai just don't fit my ears but I like his tutorials on YouTube, I watched them often to get inspiration)

Who can forget Slash and his melodic solos with GNR. smile.gif

This post has been edited by maharzan: Jul 8 2010, 02:09 PM

Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jul 8 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #22

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 2.313

My 5 in no particular order:

Tom Morello

John Petrucci

Zakk Wylde

David Gilmour

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
post Jul 13 2010, 09:14 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 5.967

Joe Satriani
Mark Knopfler
Tommy Emmanuel
Richard Kruspe
Yngwie Malmsteen

My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
post Jul 13 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #24

GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.075

1. Paul Gilbert
2. Dimebag Darrell
3. Zakk Wylde
4. Jason Becker
5. Michael Romeo

Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board
+Quote Post
post Jul 13 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #25

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

James Hetfield
Billy Joe Armstrong
Lian Gerbino
These three influenced my playing the most, the top two cause I listened to their records when I started playing guitar, Lian because he is my mtp instructor and taught me so much.
Plus two I really admire:
Dave Murray
John Petrucci

Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN

+Quote Post
Attila Voros
post Jul 13 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 10.797

Here are my all time or/and actuall top5:

1. Dimebag Darrell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbiigf0XBxk Check out the lead of "Walk" at the end of this interview from 2:36 till the end.
What a great bendings and vibratos and... everything! Full of emotions! GRRR!:)

2. Jeff Loomis: my new fav piece from him/NM is the song called "The Blue Marble And The New Soul".
Don't You think that the lead section sounds like a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack just darker and way more depressed? smile.gif

3: Emil Werstler: this is the future of the instrumeTal music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2l1Fc2B5B8 WOWOW!:)

4. Justin Derrico: Led Zeppelin by Pink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQubiPhhV0...feature=related
What a great sound, feeling and faces! smile.gif

5. Marco Sfogli: one of my fav lead from him is the lead of the song called "oblivious": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMGdQGVqMw...feature=related

I hope You like these links!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hellbounder86

Myspace: www.myspace.com/vorosattila
+Quote Post
post Jul 13 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 7.217

Here's my top 5 with no particular order :

David Gilmour : I was simply blown away when it first saw the live footage of Comfortably Numb from the P.U.L.S.E tour. There i realized how magnifient a guitar solo could be. The "waves" thing he does with the vibrato while this light ball opens up is still on of the most beautiful thing i heard/saw. Of course there are tons of others songs that are inspiring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI (that stage is totally awesome !!!)

Marcus lavendell : Well his vibrato ... nothing to add. Plus learning his solos and Winding roads in particular helped me to incorporate techniques such as tapping and sweeping in my overall playing. To me his compositions are like shred + super emotional playing

Nguyen Le : Well i guess no one here heard of him. He is a french/vietnamese guitar player and he's also my uncle so i've seen him play many times. On his records, he explores the beauty of traditionnal music and traditionnal instruments and let them shine, so that got me away from guitar only based music a bit. Through his music i discovered traditionnal vietnamese singing and, koto, tablas (indian percussions). He learned how to imitate those melodies oh the guitar. Moreover he showed me how to make beautiful music while almost always playing with a clean tone whereas i mostly listened to Vai & co and some nice whammy bar tricks in a relaxing and calm context ( means how to forget steve vai's madness) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o9psdo86x0 the use of harmonics and whammy at the beginning are awesome to me

Steve Vai : The first shredder i really listened to, with For the love of god. I loved the sound of the lydian mode even though i didn't know what it was at the beginning. To me his music was technical and complex but still beautiful and i learned all the phrasing tricks like sliding, graced notes, whammy bar, pinch harmonics and wah pedal that i only knew through hendrix and funk stuff at the time. I loved how he could build around a theme like in For the love of god or Hand on heart.

Joe Satriani : For a long time i didn't like him and preferred Vai but i got into his music a while ago and i loved how he had a more classic rock vibe in his music in songs like come on baby, made of tears as well as more "mysterious" music like circles or flying in a blue dream. In the end he seems to be more versatile than vai and he's not such a poser. Last note : the final jam on "Always with Always with you" from the Satriani live album is just amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DzRb4DHGw

It actually took me quite a while to write that sh** sad.gif And i guess it's not always intereting and there must also be tons of other things to say on these guys but i hope some of you at least will read it tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
post Jul 13 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #28

Flamenco Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.906

1. Van Halen
2. Nuno Bettencourt
3. Paul Gilbert
4. Joe Satriani
5. Vinnie Moore

1 Paco de Lucía
2 Vicente Amigo
3 Tomatito
4 Chicuelo
5 Gerardo Núñez

1 John Williams
2 David Russell
3 Álvaro Pierri
4 María Esther Guzmán
5 Pepe Romero

Check out my video lessons!
+Quote Post
post Jul 13 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #29

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 7.343

Guys, I would spend my whole day quoting and commenting about what you have told!
But I'll be brief.

- Slash (I got the guitar for the first time because of him)
- Satriani (recently felt in love on his compositions)
- Guys from Helloween (Roland Grapow + Michael Weikath)
- Kiko Loureiro
- last but not the least, the GMC instructors!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2016 - 11:34 PM