2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Point Of No Return....., My first album, recording starting in next week.
Staffy
post Aug 13 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #21

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

Well, some days have passed since I opened this thread and there has been some progress even that we are far from the end....
I learned some very useful stuff and fell into some traps (as usual) and sharing it here now....

We have done three more days in the studio, mainly the technichian and me, most of the time wasted on talkin' bout common memories, music and life - but hey, thats a big part of everything - feeling good when You are doing something. On the other side of the coin, he didnt charge me for three days either... :-)

Day 3

We began to record some vocals on top of the backing-tracks. All the vocals was done with an early 70'ths Neumann U87 ran into a vintage UREI-compressor with "all buttons in". This yielded a very distinct hard compressed vocal sound that slaps You right in the face. (wooaa, I would love to own one of those Neumanns....) Not very much time was spent on the lead vocals - again we were talking memories, music and good things in life, which is also a good thing since You cant make anything good without FEELING good... smile.gif

However, some time was spent on "Sheesh", cleaning up in the lyrics a little bit. (still wrong at one spot, will be corrected)
I went home with a listening copy of what we did and we went for a weeks break.

Day 4
This day we were supposed to do backing vocals with the other guys - and ended up wasting some hours with the bass-player trying to sing backing-vocals (he hadn't been singing since a beach party back in 1976) Of course this didn't worked out and me & the drummer did all the backings on those two songs instead. (in fact the drummer is a real good singer, and it would probably sounded even better if he had done the lead as well... but its MY band, and here's where I am supposed to sing, so he didn't.. tongue.gif )

We ended up in recording some lead guitars with my Marshall running on 8'oclock - I had to play in the control room, since it was impossible to hear anything else in the same room as the amp, even with ear-pads at full volume....
It was miced with Neumann U47 close to the cone, one SM57 in the back of the cabinet and two condenser mics in the distance.
One thing I learned here was that the mics must be phase-corrected due to different distance to the cone. The engineer does that by shifting the tracks in time to line up against each other. (in Pro-Tools) When You listened back to it, it really made some sense, and I will definitely use this approach when recording guitar at home. The only effect used was a tiny bit of DS1-type of distorsion from my BOSS-OD20. This was quite funny though, I realized that I probably could have used whatever junk distorsion device, since the amp at that level sounded like itself - no matter what preset I used on the box....

We did some 3-4 takes on each song, with the solos, trying to avoid getting "stucked" in something.
Since my experience regarding recording, is that if You cant play it before You get into the studio - You will never been able
to do it when You're there either, so I rather simplified my ideas than trying to play something out of the blue.
Also, I wanted to create a "live" feeling of the playing rather than making it "too perfect" to keep some energy in the music.

Also some small vocal things were corrected, and I played some spontaneous fills throughout the songs.
We closed the day with doing some rough mixes on the songs and I went home to listen.

Day 5
This day we had the following things on the agenda:
1) Correct two words on the lead vocals.
2) Record the solo part for Sheesh again, since I didn't like the sound on the guitar for that one.
3) Doing a "rough mix" that I can use as a demo. However, everything gonna be properly mixed when all songs are done in December, probably with some parts exchanged/changed as well.

So for "Sheesh" I went for the Tweed Deluxe and my Strat to get a more "bluesier" sound, since the LP & Marshall sounded too much hard-rock in my ears. I also got an idea of using a wah-wah on the solo...
When listening back to the result afterwards, I must say that I'm not totally satisfied with that either, so I guess I have to do the solo part once more... (I had a good version last time we played live, wish I just could have throwed that one in....)

Conclusion:
Besides some thoughts on the effects in the mix and some level adjustments (the vocals is a little bit high imo.), Im pretty happy with the result so far.
The sound will be further improved by the mastering, and on this stage of the production I'm satisfied!
Please feel free to comment anything!!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

This post has been edited by Staffy: Aug 13 2010, 08:19 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sheesh20100812.mp3 ( 4.93MB ) Number of downloads: 108
Attached File  Demons20100812.mp3 ( 7.03MB ) Number of downloads: 105

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Aug 13 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #22

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.329

I actually like the raw sound of your recording, you get to hear the bass guitar, something that gets overlooked too often nowadays. The music is great as well smile.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Aug 13 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #23

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 13 2010, 10:44 AM) *
I actually like the raw sound of your recording, you get to hear the bass guitar, something that gets overlooked too often nowadays. The music is great as well smile.gif

Thx. smile.gif
My intention here is to make an analog sounding record with a "live"-feeling rather than a super-hi-tech recording with a lot
of overdubs. Still when I listen back to those old records that got me started to play, I'm fascinated about the energy, sound and
skill that those musicians had at that time. I guess I'm a retro, old goat that can't forget bout the old days.... laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
audiopaal
post Aug 17 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #24

Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 4.276

Awesome Staffy!! biggrin.gif
I'll give it a proper listen when I get home smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 04:01 PM