> New Song !, Orchestration and Music Theory combined
Alexiaden93
post Jul 25 2010, 03:14 AM
Post #21

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.072

QUOTE (Artemus @ Jul 25 2010, 02:54 AM) *
Great stuff man. Enjoyed listening to it, good use of the midi instruments. Did you use guitar pro to write it or something else? I look forward to hearing it when it's run through your NI goodies.
I think you could broaden it a bit and make use of the woodwinds and percussion section. Also, as you've started, try dividing up the harmonies amongst the different sections. You have the primo and secondo violins and the contrabass, but you've also got a general string ensemble and pizzicato section. I'd break up the string ensemble harmonies and assign individual instruments. I understand why though - through midi it sounds better using the ensemble banks, but it will make for a better score and better sound when you run through your sample libraries/plug-ins.
Same with the brass section - divide up or assign to one or more instruments. I favour a combination of the horns and trombones for the sort of sound you were going for in this piece.
If I were to add anything, it would be some small amounts of percussion to create a bit more momentum. Not necessarily throughout though. Say, for example, a bit of triangle, maybe chimes here and there.. up to you.
Also, I'd introduce a bit of the woodwind section, especially when you repeat your theme later. Perhaps some oboe to bring out the secondo violin harmonies. Anyway, just some basic ideas.

Like the piano sections.. very Nymanesque

Wow ! It's an honour hearing from the master of orchestration himself ! I understand what you mean... smile.gif Actually I have started to work with NI Komplete 6 and I'm getting familiar with the sounds. I have tried to apply it to several songs, and here are some samples. They are more first drafts than finished compositions. Not only am I going to change master, effects, and sound in general, but also the composition of the piece itself. Here's a link to my songs, which I will try to update once I make more progress. I hope we can stay in touch, as it would greatly help my experience with orchestration smile.gif

Congratulations on an outstanding transcriptiion of the Simpsons theme smile.gif

http://www.box.net/shared/55civaa4vg

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artemus
post Jul 25 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #22

Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!

Member No.: 6.743

QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Jul 25 2010, 03:14 AM) *
Wow ! It's an honour hearing from the master of orchestration himself ! I understand what you mean... smile.gif Actually I have started to work with NI Komplete 6 and I'm getting familiar with the sounds. I have tried to apply it to several songs, and here are some samples. They are more first drafts than finished compositions. Not only am I going to change master, effects, and sound in general, but also the composition of the piece itself. Here's a link to my songs, which I will try to update once I make more progress. I hope we can stay in touch, as it would greatly help my experience with orchestration smile.gif

Congratulations on an outstanding transcriptiion of the Simpsons theme smile.gif

http://www.box.net/shared/55civaa4vg

biggrin.gif ..good ole Rimsky was a master, as was Mahler, Prokofiev, and the likes.. I'm just scraping with my fingernails at the very first few molecules at the top of the bottomless iceburg that is orchestration and arrangement.
I shall take a listen to your tunes tomorrow (or rather later today since it's already 3:30am here) smile.gif
There's a lot that can be done with midi in terms of expression and NI Komplete will open up a whole new world of possibilities. I'm always happy to listen to anything you've got, it's a pleasure. The song writing and ideas you have are very strong and mature. Keep it coming

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
post Jul 25 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #23

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Artemus @ Jul 25 2010, 03:34 AM) *
biggrin.gif ..good ole Rimsky was a master, as was Mahler, Prokofiev, and the likes.. I'm just scraping with my fingernails at the very first few molecules at the top of the bottomless iceburg that is orchestration and arrangement.
I shall take a listen to your tunes tomorrow (or rather later today since it's already 3:30am here) smile.gif
There's a lot that can be done with midi in terms of expression and NI Komplete will open up a whole new world of possibilities. I'm always happy to listen to anything you've got, it's a pleasure. The song writing and ideas you have are very strong and mature. Keep it coming

Thank you, master. smile.gif I've listened to Mahler a bit... His Symphony No. 11 in D Major "Titan" is outstanding... I am currently preoccupied with school work and the likes, so I can't spend as much time on music as I'd like to. Again, thank you for your time and expertise smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Jul 28 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.694

really good actually! keep it up!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
post Jul 28 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #25

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jul 28 2010, 10:01 PM) *
really good actually! keep it up!

Thanks Daniel ! biggrin.gif Actually, part of the song can be seen on the video in my signature, or you can go to my most recent thread (via my profile) smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
post Jul 31 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #26

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 3.056

Let's start.

I can see already just by the beginning that you might have been studying some classical theory. Arranging it in sections is a very good approach, that way you know when to add, and when to take away. Also one idea that I've been foolish to ignore in my own compositions, is that you take up the rests very well, it can be verified that the pizzicato strings have less power where you want the other instruments to be more powerful. The rests are taken up quite nice because one instrument is doing quarter notes, while the other one is doing eight notes, etc. Also the atmosphere is brilliantly maintained by the brass and strings. I didn't get bored at all, and even got more curious about the progression. It does remind me more of a videogame or cinematic approach rather than a musical by itself. Also the harmonies show chord knowledge and precise hitting on the chordal tones.

Great work my friend, which I could go into more detail, but there's nothing I can add to make it sound better smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
post Jul 31 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #27

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Jul 31 2010, 01:53 AM) *
Let's start.

I can see already just by the beginning that you might have been studying some classical theory. Arranging it in sections is a very good approach, that way you know when to add, and when to take away. Also one idea that I've been foolish to ignore in my own compositions, is that you take up the rests very well, it can be verified that the pizzicato strings have less power where you want the other instruments to be more powerful. The rests are taken up quite nice because one instrument is doing quarter notes, while the other one is doing eight notes, etc. Also the atmosphere is brilliantly maintained by the brass and strings. I didn't get bored at all, and even got more curious about the progression. It does remind me more of a videogame or cinematic approach rather than a musical by itself. Also the harmonies show chord knowledge and precise hitting on the chordal tones.

Great work my friend, which I could go into more detail, but there's nothing I can add to make it sound better smile.gif

I really appreciate this comment, man... smile.gif I am glad you took the time to listen to it attentively, and I look forward to showing you the finished version smile.gif I haven't studied that much classical music theory. Only what I find relevant, or should I say what my ears find relevant. I play piano, and try observing how music theory is applied etc. Again, thanks a lot, your comment made me smile smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
post Jul 31 2010, 01:04 AM
Post #28

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 3.056

Than it will be amazing once you do it smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 1 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #29

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I was able to pull it up in TABLATURES and give it a listen with general MIDI. I don't know if the mappings are all correct though and the General Midi strings are not great. If you could export an audio version I'd love to hear it. Just from looking at the sheet music, it's an ambitious piece so congrats!

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
post Aug 1 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #30

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 1 2010, 11:52 PM) *
I was able to pull it up in TABLATURES and give it a listen with general MIDI. I don't know if the mappings are all correct though and the General Midi strings are not great. If you could export an audio version I'd love to hear it. Just from looking at the sheet music, it's an ambitious piece so congrats!

Todd

Hey, thank you for the comment Todd smile.gif I'll upload a full audio version of the song once it's been fully composed and rendered. I still need time to work and get known with Komplete 6, so I'd prefer waiting with full audio versions for now. As I've said, you can check the video in my signature for a taste. smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:42 AM