Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chords In A Song?
guitargod
post Apr 14 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.485

i heard that the formulae to find out the chords for a song is first finding out what scale the song is in , then for the chords in the scale, appply the formulae: major,minor,minor,major,major,minor,diminish,major... but what exactly is diminished? can someone further elaborate on this?

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Apr 14 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (guitargod @ Apr 14 2007, 08:18 AM) *
i heard that the formulae to find out the chords for a song is first finding out what scale the song is in , then for the chords in the scale, appply the formulae: major,minor,minor,major,major,minor,diminish,major... but what exactly is diminished? can someone further elaborate on this?

i'll handle this one. anyone feel free to correct me if I am being a moron. happens sometimes.

first of all, that formula would only apply to a major scale.
For example, C Major. That formula would give you for the first 6, CMaj, Dmin, Emin, FMaj, GMaj, Amin.
That makes sense, right? The last one would be Bdim. Just to make sure I am not leading you astray, lets pull up good old wikipedia. It states there....

"Generally, in music, a diminished chord is a chord which has a diminished fifth in it. More specifically, it is a three-note chord (a diminished triad) consisting of a minor third and diminished fifth above the root — if built on C, a diminished chord would have a C, an E♭ and a G♭. The interval between the upper two notes is also a minor third — thus, the chord consists of two minor thirds stacked on top of one another. It resembles a minor triad with a lowered (or diminished) fifth."

Ok according to that definition we would have

B (root)
D (minor 3rd above root)
F (diminished 5th above root).

as the Bdim chord.

The 8th item is where the sequence begins to repeat.

and there you go!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 14 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #3

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 14 2007, 05:40 AM) *
i'll handle this one. anyone feel free to correct me if I am being a moron. happens sometimes.

first of all, that formula would only apply to a major scale.
For example, C Major. That formula would give you for the first 6, CMaj, Dmin, Emin, FMaj, GMaj, Amin.
That makes sense, right? The last one would be Bdim. Just to make sure I am not leading you astray, lets pull up good old wikipedia. It states there....

"Generally, in music, a diminished chord is a chord which has a diminished fifth in it. More specifically, it is a three-note chord (a diminished triad) consisting of a minor third and diminished fifth above the root — if built on C, a diminished chord would have a C, an E♭ and a G♭. The interval between the upper two notes is also a minor third — thus, the chord consists of two minor thirds stacked on top of one another. It resembles a minor triad with a lowered (or diminished) fifth."

Ok according to that definition we would have

B (root)
D (minor 3rd above root)
F (diminished 5th above root).

as the Bdim chord.

The 8th item is where the sequence begins to repeat.

and there you go!

Good explanation smile.gif I'll be writing a lesson on this soon !

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 03:27 AM