Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two Fingers Sleep On Pickguard While Playin-problem?
Slaven
post Jul 31 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.883

Hello to GMC-ers.
After 10 years of unregular and unschedule practicing and playing guitar i'm tryin to do it proper way.
I always, while playin some solo with my pick, rest my little and ring finger on pickguard. I'm doin it even while I gently strum acoustic guitar so so it's someting like habit to me. Although never look on it as a problem.
Since now.
Last few days, as I roam thru GMC and lessons of alternate picking and speedin it up (10 years of unregular playin didnt provide speed) and I'm thinkin is this "two fingers sleep on pickguard" a disadvantige or even flow? Will it stop me on the way to become Malmsteen less fat brother? wink.gif
Can anyone playin the same way as I do share his thoughts?
All other "normal player" are welcome to. wink.gif
Heres i picture if words wasnt enough:

This post has been edited by Slaven: Jul 31 2010, 01:23 PM

--------------------
"I told my parents that when I grew up I wanted to be a musician.They said it had to be one or the other"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Jul 31 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 5.185

I rest my little finger on the pickguard. I heard it was a bad habit, than started to play without it. Still after some time I tried to play again with my little finger resting on the pickguard, and my playing was more accurate. So now I am thinking that it isn't a bad habit. I don't think that playing this way can slow down my progress, but I am not an expert.

The best advice is to do what is comfortable to You, and besides experiment what is more comfortable in different situations, than just use different things in different situations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
post Jul 31 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6.965

It's totally normal, strick teachers might say its a bad habit but it's not!
You should actually play either way depending what it more comfortable, lots of professionals also play like that.

I actually had a floating hand and trained it to archor like that so I get more control with speed, I'm using both ways to play and find archor gives more control and way more speed over one or two strings, floating feels more natural (to me) and better for string skipping around and strumming chords.

The way your doing it in the picture looks like perfect archoring, keep it - dont unlearn it.

If you do want to learn float picking, this is how I learnt it...
Sit up straght (my bad habit to lead over the guitar a bit), rotate your arm up a bit, wrist back a bit and hold the pick more side ways to the strings and you should be able to get floating with a harder attack and palm muting when needed. Angle of attack changes the tone of the strings, relax the fingers in the air. Use the wrist rather than the thumb and fingers to play.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Frederik
post Jul 31 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 6.696

i think fingerpickers like Knofler does this. I think it helps palm muting. Not sure if its good for alternate picking (with pick). my guess is that it slows ur wrist movement

-Frederik

+Quote Post
JhonnyScrz
post Jul 31 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10.732

I think there are loads of guitarist that do this , i recently changed to this style myself and found it adds alot of stability

I just a video of synster gates shredding with his pinky like that

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
post Aug 1 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.387

Being bad habit or not, it limits movement of the arm. Picking shall be done from elbow, if you stick the fingers to the pickguard it is impossible to play from elbow. And even the wrist cannot move freely.

Advantage of picking from elbow is that larger muscles are used for that purpose, instead of small muscles that control the wrist, which gives better accuracy.

However, you can play well like this, but you can play even better if you don't stick you fingers, it's up to you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Aug 1 2010, 04:30 AM
Post #7

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

I anchor with my pinky at least. It helps me control. Obviously it will limit you on something. You can't strum for example if you anchor.

I don't agree with Dejan. You can pick much faster with the wrist because there is such small movement going on in this way. I used to pick from the elbow, but it really isn't necessary. However, a lot of great artists pick from the elbow. But if you want to get the hybrid picking technique down, it's a good idea to pick from the wrist, which anchoring could be a good thing there.

These are my thoughts. Whatever works for you. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Aug 1 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1.189

A floating hand is more conducive towards having a nice rhythm than an anchored hand is. My fingers do glide on the face of the guitar or pick guard, but they are not anchored. Even if anchoring would help you with speed, you lose the benefit of a swingy hand, which I think really just conveys a lot more rhythm to your play. I will take rhythm over speed, like a zillion trillion time over, as will most all other people. Which is why everyone in the world knows who Green Day is, and nobody I know has heard of Batio.

+Quote Post
Staffy
post Aug 1 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #9

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 7.291

QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Aug 1 2010, 04:31 AM) *
Being bad habit or not, it limits movement of the arm. Picking shall be done from elbow, if you stick the fingers to the pickguard it is impossible to play from elbow. And even the wrist cannot move freely.

Hmmm, this sounds strange to me, I've always heard that the picking should be done by the wrist and NOT the elbow....

//Staffay

I dont think there's nothing right or wrong - as long as You can play Your musical ideas with the technique You got, then its fine. But if we put an equal sign between fast playing and skills on the guitar - then it might be a bad idea to have the fingers there since they are stopping the wrist from moving freely....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
post Aug 1 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #10

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 2.313

Imo there's nothing wrong with it.

A lot of famous guitarist do this too.. John Petrucci, Tom Morello and more...

Just don't use it as an "anchor" smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
post Aug 1 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.387

QUOTE (Staffy @ Aug 1 2010, 09:13 AM) *
Hmmm, this sounds strange to me, I've always heard that the picking should be done by the wrist and NOT the elbow....

//Staffay

There is a science behind this. I got an idea from handwriting techniques. I have a bad handwriting and wanted to improve. Found an info that writing should be done from arm and shoulder, since when you do it from wrist it is very hard to control the pen well and have a precise and identical shapes. I thought that the same could be applied to guitar playing and I proved it right. I have better control on my picking hand now than I had before.

The thing is, when using large muscles you have a better control over your hand, the movements are more precise and you are losing less strength than using small wrist muscles. Think about that smile.gif

And I will not say that either way is wrong or right, I just say that picking from wrist and anchoring fingers limit your potential smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Aug 1 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

This is a good subject and I've heard a lot of differing opinions on it over the years.. however in my own experience and through observing famous guitar players is that it makes NO difference whatsoever to reaching your picking potential.

I've done both over the years as I've had many problems with picking - too much to bore you all with here :-)

I used to rest my little and middle finger on the guitar like Malmsteen, Petrucci etc and it always gave me great accuracy and a tactile confidence with the guitar.. and it feels very relaxed which is something that is crucial to us guitarists !

After experimenting with different hand positions and angles.. I now pick more like Paul Gilbert with my fingers not touching the guitar. However, the only reason I stuck with this is because I'm used to it now... but I can still pick just the same with my fingers on the guitar and it does NOT hinder my picking in any way.

Of course, for strumming and rocking out.. then most of us will always just go for it and bring our hands fully away from the guitar and bash away, but that's not really the issue here.. this is about picking potential and accuracy, and if John Petrucci and Yngwie's phenomenal picking ability are anything to go by, then resting their fingers on the guitar hasn't slowed them down at all ! :-)

As a final note: I would sincerely advise against picking from the elbow.. this is what encourages RSI. And if you already have RSI like I do (not from guitar playing but an old work injury) then picking from the elbow will only aggravate it and you won't ever be able to make any progress, as I learned through my own experience. When strumming or making wider chord movements then the elbow plays a role, but it's not healthy to do it this way for small alternate picking movements, trust me. :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
tonyparnham
post Aug 1 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7.340

Hi Slaven,
You mention Malmsteen and actually I've noticed when he executes his two and three string arpeggios he has a tendency to rest his little finger and next one on the pickguard and almost always with small movements. Watch the close ups on this Rising Force demo of his;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTh9V2hrGI...=1&index=67
Tony

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Aug 2 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #14

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.012

I used to do that also, for 5 years... resting my pinky on guitar, but that is a mistake, you should rest your wrist on the bridge, or another way, to keep it in the air relaxed, just slightly touching the neck..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 6 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

It's not a mistake to rest the fingers, but as the years went by, I realized that resting doesn't provide me the mobility I need in some situations, so I tried to removed them from the pickguard. I still keep them there in some moments, but for me it is better not to keep them there. It all depends tho, we as players have different techniques, play different styles, so that doesn't give me the right to say it is "incorrect way". I think every player comes to a point when he can determine if specific technique limits his progress.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2017 - 09:46 PM