> Chords With Bassnotes
Lester
post Jul 31 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.783

Hi guys,

I was playing around a bit with some chords over the C major scale and I noticed that it's possible to add a G note on top of the C major open chord (3rd fret, low E-string)and that it would probably make an C/G or you could say a C with a G bassnote.

So I looked it up on some chordsite, and it said it was indeed, but as I scrolled through the chords it also named this as a C/G: xx5557
Now that's what I don't understand: the notes in the chord are in ascending order: G, C, E, C
In my thought this would be C major chord (inverted fifth) with a high C added (it remains C major though)
I would rather call this a C/G: xx5553, because then you have a C major triad with a G above it (on the D-string)

Some other site said that the bassnote is always the deepest (lowest) note played, is this true?? Because if it is, shouldn't every inverted chord be named with a bassnote next to it, like the example above? huh.gif

Any thoughts on this anyone?? smile.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jul 31 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.892

My new series that I just recorded 2 lessons for are focusing on that! Chord superimposing... Triads over bass note. It will be very useful for you I am sure. Hope it will be on site soon !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
post Jul 31 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 31 2010, 03:54 PM) *
My new series that I just recorded 2 lessons for are focusing on that! Chord superimposing... Triads over bass note. It will be very useful for you I am sure. Hope it will be on site soon !

Ok, that's great! I'm looking forward to it!!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
post Jul 31 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.892

Great to hear that. I just submitted parts 1 and 2 of the series for publishing. If all goes well they should be on site sometime in the near future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thrasymachus
post Aug 1 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 8.160

To my knowledge the lowest note is the bass note even though it might not be very low at all, and an inversion should therefore be named with a bass note.

What might confuse you though, is that in a band context the bass player might play an even lower c, so the chord being played would just be a C (with a c in the bass) even though you are playing one of the mentioned chords.

Ps. the 7th fret on the e string is a b note, so xx5557 would actualy be a Cmaj7/G but im assuming that is just a typo

+Quote Post
Lester
post Aug 5 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jul 31 2010, 06:45 PM) *
Great to hear that. I just submitted parts 1 and 2 of the series for publishing. If all goes well they should be on site sometime in the near future.

Sound good, I'll look into them.thanks!

QUOTE (Thrasymachus @ Aug 1 2010, 05:16 PM) *
To my knowledge the lowest note is the bass note even though it might not be very low at all, and an inversion should therefore be named with a bass note.

What might confuse you though, is that in a band context the bass player might play an even lower c, so the chord being played would just be a C (with a c in the bass) even though you are playing one of the mentioned chords.

Ps. the 7th fret on the e string is a b note, so xx5557 would actualy be a Cmaj7/G but im assuming that is just a typo

Yeah, it's a typo... I did know about the bass. anyhow, it sounds logic what youre saying, still unsure if everyone applies this though.

Thanks for the help!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 07:47 AM