Andrew Cockburn
post Feb 1 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #61

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 4 2009, 11:20 AM) *
Oh man, I had prepared a full bag of questions about chords, after reading a whole stuff about scales and single tones... well, it's empty for a while now wink.gif fantastic job, it was a big lack in my knowledge smile.gif

just a quick & simple question:

Let's take we ain't sticked into power chords.... should I play in the second place something like:

---
---
---
-3-
-2-
-1-

?? It builds a good tension, a first thought is some old intro from one of Metallica's songs...

That's actually a flattened 5th, so technically not a power chord, but great for building an evil and tense kid of sound!

QUOTE (vampire14 @ Jan 23 2009, 11:39 AM) *
in the last paragraph you mentioned getting a chord progression first and than write your riffs on the scale that fits.
but how do i know what scale fits? how do i do this process the other way round?

You can figure it out through a process of elimination! Arrange all of your chords and pull the notes out and order them. That gives you a list of notes and if you know your scales you shoould be able to fit one to the notes you have with a little work!

QUOTE (Shiho @ Feb 1 2009, 11:17 AM) *
Hey Guys,

First I wanted to say that I'm a admirer of Andrew's Professional Work, here wink.gif
Thanks a lot.

But I got a question referring to the Em Chord of the D-Major scale.

I tried to figure out the notes myself using your "formula". So after getting done the D-Major chord I came up with the E Minor Chord. If I'm right it consists of the three notes E Gb/F# and B.

So if I wanted to try out the Chord on the guitar it must've got the tab (If I got that right):

-----2--
--------
--------
-----2--
-----2--
---------

But I'm familiar to playing it without the thin E string :

--------
--------
--------
-----2--
-----2--
---------

Why is it a Em, when one of the 3 notes of which it consists isn't played? Is it a power chord then?

It also could be true that I've made any mistake. If so - Please help me to fix it smile.gif

I'm looking forward to your answers.

See you soon smile.gif

Not quite right -

The scale of D major is D E F# G A B C# D

To make a chord from this scale with a root note of E we start at E, skip a note, pick a note skip a note and pick a note, which gives us E G B - these are the notes for E minor

So, looking at the way you normally play it (which is correct) from the low E string up you have:

E B E G B E

All of which are in the chord smile.gif

The not you had on the high E string, F#, whilst in the scale is not part of a basic E minor chord. In fact it is a 9th, which would make the first chord you showed an Em9 - nothing wrong with that, it's still in the scale, just not the chord you were going for smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shiho
post Feb 1 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #62

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.812

But is the G of the D-Major scale not the 3rd? And following your formula ("Minor 1,b3,5") the 3rd has to be flattened, hasnt it? So why do you get a G instead of a Gb?

+Quote Post
utak3r
post Feb 1 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 6.530

QUOTE (Shiho @ Feb 1 2009, 06:40 PM) *
But is the G of the D-Major scale not the 3rd? And following your formula ("Minor 1,b3,5") the 3rd has to be flattened, hasnt it? So why do you get a G instead of a Gb?

You're trying to apply this rule for the second time wink.gif It's already applied... you can't flatten or sharp any note from the scale while building a chord...

--------------------
sooner or later... you will meet the undertaker...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
GrannyKiller
post Feb 11 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 5.719

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 1 2009, 06:22 PM) *
The not you had on the high E string, F#, whilst in the scale is not part of a basic E minor chord. In fact it is a 9th, which would make the first chord you showed an Em9 - nothing wrong with that, it's still in the scale, just not the chord you were going for smile.gif

Actually it would be an Em+9 chord, since there's no b7 in there. Hope I got it right... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (utak3r @ Feb 1 2009, 06:45 PM) *
You're trying to apply this rule for the second time wink.gif It's already applied... you can't flatten or sharp any note from the scale while building a chord...

Yep...

@Shiho - The correct intervals are already there, in the scale -> that's what makes a bunch of notes a scale. To build chords from the scale, you just use the notes that are already in there and follow a simple formula as Andrew already mentioned a couple of times: take a note - skip a note - take - skip - take a note

@Emir - some of those augmented chord types sound awfully nice... thanx for the formulas bro biggrin.gif

--------------------
A kick in the butt is only another step forward...

.:G.E.A.R:.

Guitars: B.C.Rich Assasin QX6 // Jolana Galaxis (modded by me) // Melodija Menges nylon-acoustic // Vintage EJM-96 Bass

Amps: Marshall AVT50X combo // Roland MicroCube // some cr***y old Newport with a 12" speaker

Effects: Boss GT-10

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Feb 14 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #65

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (GrannyKiller @ Feb 11 2009, 11:55 AM) *
Actually it would be an Em+9 chord, since there's no b7 in there. Hope I got it right... biggrin.gif

Yes, Em+9, sorry.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 05:45 PM