Sunn Cab+ Orange Tiny Terror?
kyuss
Aug 18 2010, 01:04 AM
GMC:er
hai guise biggrin.gif
first time posting here,

well I was out pawn shopping today and found a sunn model 2m cab with two 10 inch speakers for 299$ (extremely rare from what i hear and discontinued), and at a pawn shop across the street an orange tiny terror was being sold for 375$ (about 100$ cheaper than i've ever seen one).

Because they are at 2 different pawn shops its going to be very difficult to try them out together, I have played both brands individually in the past and I feel they are perfect for what i want to play- slow drop tuned metal with lots of effects, psychedelic clean passages, and smooth bluesy solos (stoner/doom)

however im a complete noob when it comes to anything but combo amps, never owned a stack or set one up before, just powered up and played, dont know the rules on matching if their are any.

my current set up is more for death metal (which im growing out of) so Its more of a tight and scooped sound, with lots of attack; but now im looking something that sounds very smooth and low with lots of presence (im going to be the only guitarist in this new project) which orange and sunn are known for.

does anyone have any experiences with the two brands, or the two brands together? any problems anyone foresees with this set up? or a head/cab set up that you'd recommend for what i'm doing? or any tips or useful info for a complete amplifier noob (like links smile.gif )

thanks in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 18 2010, 01:13 AM
Learning Tone Master
You can go ahead and buy that Orange Tiny Terror with you eyes closed!
My bandmate has one as an amp for home use. He likes to play some stoner metal on it and it does it very well but recently the tubes on his marshall blew and he took that little 15 watt tube orange to rehearsal (I play in a Metal band), hooked the orange up to his Bogner 4x12 cabinet and threw a tubescreamer in front of it and

BOOM

Everything from blues to screaming modern metal came out of that little amp and loud enough to keep up with my 120 watt Peavey 6505 amp!

About the cabinet:
I haven't heard anything about this one but all I can say is that 10'' speakers are not the way to go for guitar cabinets...
12 inch speakers just give out the middy tone of a guitar much better but you might think otherwise!

Go for the Orange, you can't go wrong with those awesome tiny terrors and then take it to the other pawnshop and try the cab. If you like it - go for it, if it's not your cup of tea - take your new amp and your own guitar to a store and test cabs until you are satisfied with the tone!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kyuss
Aug 18 2010, 09:16 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 17 2010, 05:13 PM) *
You can go ahead and buy that Orange Tiny Terror with you eyes closed!
My bandmate has one as an amp for home use. He likes to play some stoner metal on it and it does it very well but recently the tubes on his marshall blew and he took that little 15 watt tube orange to rehearsal (I play in a Metal band), hooked the orange up to his Bogner 4x12 cabinet and threw a tubescreamer in front of it and

BOOM

Everything from blues to screaming modern metal came out of that little amp and loud enough to keep up with my 120 watt Peavey 6505 amp!

About the cabinet:
I haven't heard anything about this one but all I can say is that 10'' speakers are not the way to go for guitar cabinets...
12 inch speakers just give out the middy tone of a guitar much better but you might think otherwise!

Go for the Orange, you can't go wrong with those awesome tiny terrors and then take it to the other pawnshop and try the cab. If you like it - go for it, if it's not your cup of tea - take your new amp and your own guitar to a store and test cabs until you are satisfied with the tone!

yeah i loved the orange but at the shop i played it through a mesa cab which i really really dont have the money for; so now i start my cab quest XD which should be fun because i really dont know where to start so ill try em all

thanks man

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 19 2010, 07:02 AM
Sun used to be a really popular brand in america in the 70's and 80's. their products are very collectible and i know many people who would love to get their hands on anything made by sun

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 21 2010, 01:03 PM
Instructor
I wouldn't get that cab, I would think about it, but Tiny Terror head is awesome, if you like that sound, definitely get it. It's a unique head with awesome punchy tone and drive.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kyuss
Aug 22 2010, 09:42 AM
just got the tiny terror and a peavy xl earlier today, the combo sounded great in store, but once i tried playing with a drummer i found the mids were to weak to punch through the cymbals, and at full volume i still didn't have the presence i wanted. I took it to a guitar center and tried two used 4x12's: a Marshall cab (299$) and a mesa cab (399$) and they both sounded INCREDIBLE. From the first note i hit i noticed they where both more powerful than the peavy, which i suspect has a blown speaker.

I wont be able to test the two cabs in a jam situation until after the purchase, but i am leaning more towards the MESA because it was more dynamic sounding, leads sounded amazingly smooth, and ive never heard anything bad said about a mesa. But the Marshall had more presence with riffing and more volume, plus its 100$ cheaper

what would you guys recommend?

And I told a good bassist friend about the sunn cabs and he made the purchase and is having a ball with em biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 22 2010, 03:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
Can't give you any advice without knowing more than *mesa cab* and *marshall cab*

Marshall and Mesa Boogie have several diffrent 4x12 cabinets on the market, going from cheaply build and bad speakers to handcraftet with great speakers... Try to find out which cabs we are dealing with here!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:30 AM