2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guitars: Gals Or Guys?, Inspired by another topic
Gals or Guys?
Do you consider guitars to be gals or guys?
Gals [ 17 ] ** [73.91%]
Guys [ 6 ] ** [26.09%]
Total Votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Aug 31 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #21

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 6.012

It seems that in most languages, it's she... Why is that?
Why people experience guitars as females?
Following grammatical logic, piano is "he", sax is "he", violin is "she"... accordion is "she"...
I wonder what is the case with German and French...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
post Aug 31 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.730

i guess in English guitars are "the" guitar, example:
i'm playing THE guitar

in spanish it is "la" guitarra, that's already feminine:
estoy tocando LA guitarra.

so they are girls smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
post Sep 1 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #23

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.965

Well I found out it lost in English now, but goes back to Indo-European language and Old English. With those other languages, they had "grammatical genders" - classes of nouns reflected in the behavior of associated words, every noun must belong to one of the classes (Masculine or Feminine or Neuter).

Old English: Seo brade lind wæs tilu and ic hire lufod.
Literal translation: That broad shield was good and I her loved.
Modern English: That broad shield was good and I loved it.

A female object these days is normally either sexy or powerful. Still applies to boats, storms, sport cars, etc consisted as female, because they have power but man believes they have control over it. (this is incorrect, but how objects are normally labeled as male or female these days)

It actually comes down to language and sentence structures - there are two different words for "car" in German: "Wagen" is masculine, whereas "Auto" is neuter. Meanwhile the word "auto" is masculine in Spanish, but it is feminine in French. In all cases, the meaning is the same. Similarly, there are two Swedish words for "boat." "En båt" is common gender, while "ett skepp" is neutral.

Ugh too confusing for me!

I found the cheat sheet to help out:

FREEZER BAGS: They are male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them.

PHOTOCOPIERS: These are female, because once turned off, it takes a while to warm them up again. They are an effective reproductive device if the right buttons are pushed, but can also wreak havoc if you push the wrong buttons.

TYRES: Tyres are male, because they go bald easily and are often over inflated.

HOT AIR BALLOONS: Also a male object, because to get them to go anywhere, you have to light a fire under their bottom.

SPONGES: These are female, because they are soft, squeezable and retain water.

WEB PAGES: Female, because they're constantly being looked at and frequently getting hit on.

TRAINS: Definitely male, because they always use the same old lines for picking up people and are invariably late

EGG TIMERS: Egg timers are female because, over time, all the weight shifts to the bottom.

HAMMERS: Male, because in the last 5000 years, they've hardly changed at all, and are occasionally handy to have around.

THE REMOTE CONTROL: Female. Ha! You probably thought it would be male, but consider this: it easily gives a man pleasure, he'd be lost without it, and while he doesn't always know which buttons to push, he just keeps trying.

As for the guitar...
1) A guitar sits on your lap or holds around your neck.
2) A guitar squeels when you pick on it.
3) A guitar just lies around all day when your out busy working.
4) A guitar is loud and noisey.
5) A guitar need maintainance and care to look good at all times.
6) A guitar has a number of accessories, never can get enough of them.

MUST BE A GUY! laugh.gif
(hides from those with no sense of humour)

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 1 2010, 04:47 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Sep 1 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.189

well, I play a flamed Les Paul, and now I am going to look at it as having a big butt, way too big. If it is a guy it is like some guy like the guitarist in this band. Not the blond guy, the big fat guy.

Except he has a huge upper body, so he is not really shaped like a Les Paul. A Les Paul, if female, would be like some flat chested woman with a huge butt. In either case, I would like to have the neurons in my brain that have stored both the described male and female image surgically removed.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 1 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #25

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 1 2010, 03:26 AM) *

A female object these days is normally either sexy or powerful. Still applies to boats, storms, sport cars, etc consisted as female, because they have power but man believes they have control over it. (this is incorrect, but how objects are normally labeled as male or female these days)

Most academic theorists interested in a social construction of language and its effects would argue that the anthropomorphism that attributes a gender to an object is dominated by a perspective of the female as dominated, passive and without, or at best lacking or less able to exercise, power. Storms are anthropomorphised as female as they are seen as a 'force of nature' and outside of the rational 'male' world rather than anything to do with power per se as you've put it. Such anthropomorphism operates furthermore to main a structural system of inequality: 'we are born in to language' as Helen Cixous puts it. CF Julia Kristeva, Helene Cixous, Christine Clement, Judith Butler, Jacques Lacan, Slavoj Zizek, Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault and so on...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Sep 1 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #26

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

@tonymiro
Yeah, quite interesting..
It seems there has been transition... in "old english" example that Azzaboi mentioned, it's clear that there was gender, female...
By the way I love Slavoj Zizek's work, mostly from youtube smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 1 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #27

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Sep 1 2010, 01:09 PM) *
By the way I love Slavoj Zizek's work, mostly from youtube smile.gif

Zizek is always interesting - particularly like his 'psychoanalytic' type film reviews smile.gif.
Though I think some his reading of certain aspects of philosophy is, er, a little idiosyncratic at times. But interesting nonetheless.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Sep 1 2010, 02:38 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
post Sep 2 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #28

Jazz Instructor
Group Icon

@tonymiro
Yeah, that was "pervert's guide to cinema", he announced "pervert's guide to ideology" I can't wait to see it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
post Sep 2 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #29

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 7.343

I don't know your guitar, but mine is a girl biggrin.gif .

+Quote Post
blindwillie
post Sep 2 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1.434

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 29 2010, 05:58 AM) *
Well I say gal, because I definitely don't want to be rubbing my hand up and down a guys long hard wood tongue.gif

!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Sep 2 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Vasilije gave interesting answer, on our language, grammar tells us its "she".

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kristian Hyvarin...
post Sep 2 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #32

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 7.720

I think it's mostly about emotions, most guys and girls I know either see guitars as feminine beings or don't care. I think my guitars are feminine, but I don't really go yelling around about all the small things that guitars and gals have in common. So "it depends" is my answer - the owner is always right.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 03:59 PM