> Another Rg Thread
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 17 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

I'm still thinking about a new guitar - and have my heart set on an Ibanez. Of course I'll play a few when I can find a place that stocks them (my regular guitar shop doesn't!) but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how Thru necks affect sustain? I'm looking at the RG Prestige line, and was wondering how the regular necks were for sustain (like for instance an RG2550E), or whether it was worth the extra $600 (and less cool styling IMO) for the RGT220A?

I'm looking at RG prestige because I want a good locking tremelo, good pickups and the Prestiges usually get great reviews for setup and playability vs the regular RGs over at the ibanez forum.

Thanks!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
post Apr 17 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.161

I was doing significant research into getting an Ibanez, and the 2550E was the one I figured I'd probably get. However, I have since I found out that the new Parker Nightfly has gone with Duncans I am absolutely going with the Parker. It is nearly unmatchable in it's versatility.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Apr 17 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 17 2007, 03:26 PM) *
I'm still thinking about a new guitar - and have my heart set on an Ibanez. Of course I'll play a few when I can find a place that stocks them (my regular guitar shop doesn't!) but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how Thru necks affect sustain? I'm looking at the RG Prestige line, and was wondering how the regular necks were for sustain (like for instance an RG2550E), or whether it was worth the extra $600 (and less cool styling IMO) for the RGT220A?

I'm looking at RG prestige because I want a good locking tremelo, good pickups and the Prestiges usually get great reviews for setup and playability vs the regular RGs over at the ibanez forum.

Thanks!

I have a neck through Guitar, a Gibson Firebird. I don't think it is the factor wrt sustain that one would intuitively think it to be. This is what is generally said on the subject. They use laminate construction on neck thru construction. I have assume that is to minimize the risk warping over time on such a long neck. These have 5 ply, Firebirds 9. I don't know if that is a factor.

I would get the one that you like. If it is the neck thru so be it. However I don't think that factor in itself is critical wrt to how well a guitar will sustain. My three Les Pauls definitely all have better sustain than my Firebird, or either of two Firebirds I sent back when I made my purchase.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 17 2007, 10:34 PM

+Quote Post
AusiMik
post Apr 19 2007, 11:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.615

Here in Australia anyway, Any Ibanez guitar is excellent value for money. My very first guitar (still have it, I throw nothing away!) is an Ibanez V70. It was sold as a beginners guitar, and is. But a change of string gauge, better tuners, and this guitar is equal to anything three times the price. It's not a Maton, guitars in that catagory start a 10X what I payed for the Ibanez. I'm sure you'd be satisfied with an RG.

+Quote Post
yell03
post Apr 19 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1.216

I just bought a used Ibanez RGA121 Prestige for $400.

Great guitar, however it does not have a tremolo as I wanted a fixed bridge.

Even with the bolt-on neck, the sustain is nice.

Ibanez pickups (V7, V8) are often considered sub par, but I assure you it growls and pulls off pinch harmonics with ease.

The Wizard Prestige neck is very nice to play on, very flat and very fast.

I ave not had the guitar professionally set-up yet, the action is slightly higher than I would like, but strung with 9-42s it is not something I need to do anytime soon.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 19 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Sounds like the sustain isn't a problem with a bolt on, which makes the Parker expensive when compared to a bolt on neck. That's ok though, I'm not bothered about versatility, I want a shred machine, and have other guitars for other sounds.

Thanks all !

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Rvddps
post Apr 19 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 819

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 19 2007, 04:40 PM) *
Sounds like the sustain isn't a problem with a bolt on, which makes the Parker expensive when compared to a bolt on neck. That's ok though, I'm not bothered about versatility, I want a shred machine, and have other guitars for other sounds.

Thanks all !

Guess i should throw my opinion in here...

Ok, i just bought a RG1570 prestige, and ill say it now, its the nicest feeling guitar ive ever played.

Ill give a little backstory. At christmas, i wanted a new guitar, i looked into ibanez and saw the RG350 and thought it looked amazing. i bought it, and boy was i dissapointed. The tren was the thing that messed it all up. It never went in tune, and if it ever did, it fell back out before id even finished one song, not very good. So, needless to say, if you have an instrument you cant play, then dont tongue.gif so i took it back.

It was my birthday a few days ago, and i got enough cash for a RG1570. i knew prestiges were good, becuase my guitar teacher has one, he also has 2 JEMs, which i have also played. And like i said before, the 1570 is the best feeling guitar ive touched, not even a JEM can beat it (in my opinion).

anyway, the trem is amazing, i got the guys at the store to set it up, and with a tiny bit of tuning, the bridge is amazing, the edge pro really is a hundred times better than the edge III. The neck honestly feels like you're playing on butter, it's so polished, you can tell some very skilled craftsmen took a long time on it. The sustain is great too, honestly, i don't think you can beat it.

So, if you take my advice, buy a prestige, they all have the same neck, and if you're worrying about the floyd, don't, honestly, its an amazing floyd, and you should have no problems with it.

So, goodluck in finding your shredmachine.

Rv

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 19 2007, 05:49 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Thanks, you have confirmed my suspicions - I looked at RG350s to start with but most people seem to think the prestige is worth the extra - and after that post, I am even surer I want an edge pro trem!

So for me it looks like its down to the RG2550E or the RG550RXX because I like the HSH configuration and want something in black! Not sure what the difference is between the two, so I need to head out to the guitar shop and try a couple of them out when I can convince my wife to release the funds smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Apr 19 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #9

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

QUOTE (Rvddps @ Apr 19 2007, 06:33 PM) *
And like i said before, the 1570 is the best feeling guitar ive touched, not even a JEM can beat it (in my opinion).

Hey, don't even think about touching my JEM mad.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

I was in love with my first RG370DX but hey - JEM is a whole new story!!

Andrew - if you get a PRESTIGE serie - you won't be disappointed! So go for it! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Apr 19 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #10

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Now I have all the right GMC members in one place. (And sorry to hijack your thread andrew wink.gif _

What do you think of this as ive been thinking about buying it all month.....

RG350DX

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG350DX

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 19 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 19 2007, 04:28 PM) *
Hey, don't even think about touching my JEM mad.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

I was in love with my first RG370DX but hey - JEM is a whole new story!!

Andrew - if you get a PRESTIGE serie - you won't be disappointed! So go for it! smile.gif

Heh, thanks Pavel ! BTW, I love your Jem I think they look sweet, but you have to give yourself something to aspire to, so I'll get the prestige for now, and then one day ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Apr 19 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #12

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 19 2007, 11:57 PM) *
I love your Jem I think they look sweet, but you have to give yourself something to aspire to, so I'll get the prestige for now, and then one day ...

Can we stop talking about Pavels gems... we got kids around! tongue.gif

Anyway Andrew, I'm just guessing here but the "new" 550 looks a bit brighter in tone (maple fingerboard) compared to the RG2550.

I said "new" since the 550 is a reissue from the 80's model. Btw, the 550 is 1 mm thinner on the first fret.

Man... I'd take any of the two *drool*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 19 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 19 2007, 06:10 PM) *
Can we stop talking about Pavels gems... we got kids around! tongue.gif

Anyway Andrew, I'm just guessing here but the "new" 550 looks a bit brighter in tone (maple fingerboard) compared to the RG2550.

I said "new" since the 550 is a reissue from the 80's model. Btw, the 550 is 1 mm thinner on the first fret.
Man... I'd take any of the two *drool*

Aha, I see ... I should play them both but sounds like either would be pretty sweet smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Apr 20 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #14

I just saw that the 550 is available in black and for that color it comes with a rosewood fingerboard (for less sharp sound)

And Pavel has a point about the JEM's - not the family gems though ;-) - that the JEM555 is just another $100-$150 away from where you're aiming at with the 2550 and 550.

EDIT: I listened to some movie clips (listened to movies... whatever) on youtube and I think the RG550 with maple fingerboard is a bit too bright for my taste. The JEM555 and the RG2550 on the other hand sound beautiful!
Could be that the sound quality on youtube is rather crappy but never the less I think it shines through.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Apr 20 2007, 11:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Apr 20 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 20 2007, 05:45 AM) *
I just saw that the 550 is available in black and for that color it comes with a rosewood fingerboard (for less sharp sound)

And Pavel has a point about the JEM's - not the family gems though ;-) - that the JEM555 is just another $100-$150 away from where you're aiming at with the 2550 and 550.
EDIT: I listened to some movie clips (listened to movies... whatever) on youtube and I think the RG550 with maple fingerboard is a bit too bright for my taste. The JEM555 and the RG2550 on the other hand sound beautiful!
Could be that the sound quality on youtube is rather crappy but never the less I think it shines through.

That's interesting about the JEM555 - but they don't sell them in the USA sad.gif Anyway, from what I can read, they are made in Korea, although they look cool probably aren;t as good a guitar as the Japanese Prestiges, so I think I'll hold out for a real Jem one day and a prestige for now ... thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Apr 20 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 20 2007, 02:32 PM) *
from what I can read, they are made in Korea

I didnt know they were, that takes the sweet edge off it a bit. But all the prestiges are made in Japan you say? Probably a better buy then.
My RG320 (not prestige) is made in Indonesia, I can't complain about it but I never played a RG prestige so I don't know what I'm missing.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 09:55 AM