Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Music Was Exciting, Music is so boring and predictable nowadays
Sollesnes
post Sep 27 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #21

Learning Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.623

Maybye it's difficult to find good music, because we get very picky, being surrounded with so much smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
badfingers93
post Sep 27 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #22

GMC:er

Member No.: 10.259

Yeah and it is also sad to see that musicians who put in a lot of effort and heart into their music don't get recognized enough compared to the 'posers' that i see a lot, especially in today's pop music scene. I guess when we listen to too many awesome music, it kinda sets a higher standard of our personal taste of music. So therefore, we might be picky when it comes to accepting new materials or music, as it might not meet our current "standards".... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 27 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #23

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

THE BAD NEWS:
I feel your pain wink.gif I have to agree with you in general. I think part of it is due to the shifting nature of the Music Biz itself. With the demise of CD (all but a dead issue, as costs continually exceed revenue for record lables addicted to 5 inch plastic discs) and rise of digital distribution, the music biz sort of imploded. As a result, the middle ground got cut out.

Record lables can't afford to develop artists anymore. They need hits badly. They used to have wads of cash and could carry an artist for years while the artist developed and then eventually made a hit record. That's over. The death of Record Retail in general has caused a massive shift as well.

So in short, it's a new biz. The bad news is, the money is gone so new artists have to find their own way and music lovers have to dig ever deeper to find new bands that they like.

THE GOOD NEWS:

The good news is that there has never been a better time to be a musician, nor a better time to be a music lover. The internet, the same thing that caused the death of record retail and the seismic shift in the music biz, is the same thing that allows anyone to distribute their music and allows anyone to find bands from all over the globe they might have never heard of otherwise.

So there is great music out there, in fact, I'd argue there has never been more music available, ever, in the history of our planet. You just have to dig like crazy to find it.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Sep 28 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #24

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 10.329

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 27 2010, 06:43 PM) *
THE BAD NEWS:
I feel your pain wink.gif I have to agree with you in general. I think part of it is due to the shifting nature of the Music Biz itself. With the demise of CD (all but a dead issue, as costs continually exceed revenue for record lables addicted to 5 inch plastic discs) and rise of digital distribution, the music biz sort of imploded. As a result, the middle ground got cut out.

Record lables can't afford to develop artists anymore. They need hits badly. They used to have wads of cash and could carry an artist for years while the artist developed and then eventually made a hit record. That's over. The death of Record Retail in general has caused a massive shift as well.

So in short, it's a new biz. The bad news is, the money is gone so new artists have to find their own way and music lovers have to dig ever deeper to find new bands that they like.

THE GOOD NEWS:

The good news is that there has never been a better time to be a musician, nor a better time to be a music lover. The internet, the same thing that caused the death of record retail and the seismic shift in the music biz, is the same thing that allows anyone to distribute their music and allows anyone to find bands from all over the globe they might have never heard of otherwise.

So there is great music out there, in fact, I'd argue there has never been more music available, ever, in the history of our planet. You just have to dig like crazy to find it.

Todd

I have to agree, there definitely is good music out today, I guess I was over generalizing when I said that music today is boring. Its just that it seems like the market is completely saturated with wannabes, just think of how many bands out there sound like Killswitch Engage. I'm a metalhead through and through, and I seriously wish there were more personalities like James Brown out there. At the end of the day no musician is completely original, if they were then nobody would listen to them - people do need some degree of familiarity to associate with.

I believe what really separates musicians is personality, because once a certain level of technical expertise is reached, the field levels out, as far as pure technical skill is concerned. Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert are on the same skill level, but its their personalities expressed through their music that differentiates them. And this is what I think is sadly missing from music nowadays: personality.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 03:48 AM