Group: Members
Member No.: 1.434

rsync rules!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
post May 16 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #22

GMC Tech & Community Manager

Member No.: 994

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 16 2007, 05:06 AM) *
Very cunning smile.gif And I'm a big fan of rsync cool.gif How can we fail with technical backup of this caliber ??

For that to work, you'd need to be generating the lesson pages dynamically I guess?

Yep, we are generating the lessons dynamically since the last three weeks or so cool.gif

rsync is great! I haven't had the opportunity to use it more than once or twice before though, so I am looking forward to this (which might be a bit nerdy I guess rolleyes.gif )

QUOTE (blindwillie @ May 16 2007, 08:21 AM) *
rsync rules!

Yeah! biggrin.gif

I love working with GMC, Kris lets me do all kinds of fun stuff! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post May 16 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #23

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

Sorry for turning this into a nerdy thread that probably only 50% of GMCers understand - I know this is annoying for the food professionals out there!

QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 16 2007, 05:40 AM) *
Yep, we are generating the lessons dynamically since the last three weeks or so cool.gif

You are the man! I can't see any evidence of scripting languages - which one are you using?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
post May 16 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 16 2007, 02:33 PM) *
Sorry for turning this into a nerdy thread that probably only 50% of GMCers understand - I know this is annoying for the food professionals out there!
You are the man! I can't see any evidence of scripting languages - which one are you using?

We do it using PHP, MySQL and a bunch of Linux commands (and some crontab stuff to keep privilieges up-to-date). What we do, actually, is dynamically creating static pages rather than using completely dynamic ones. Much more effective performance-wise, not to mention better from a search engine point of view - using ?id=xxx etc is still frowned upon (although this could of course have been solved using rewrites) . And when new features are added we only need to press the "republish" button for the lessons to make sure that the latest updates are available in all lessons (the ones created using the dynamic system at least).

All in all, it turned out quite well smile.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post May 16 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 16 2007, 08:56 AM) *
We do it using PHP, MySQL and a bunch of Linux commands (and some crontab stuff to keep privilieges up-to-date). What we do, actually, is dynamically creating static pages rather than using completely dynamic ones. Much more effective performance-wise, not to mention better from a search engine point of view - using ?id=xxx etc is still frowned upon (although this could of course have been solved using rewrites) . And when new features are added we only need to press the "republish" button for the lessons to make sure that the latest updates are available in all lessons (the ones created using the dynamic system at least).

All in all, it turned out quite well smile.gif

That's really cool - so you can re-generate large portions of the site from info in a DB at will, which must make it really easy to change color schemes and layouts etc yet still have static pages for performance reasons smile.gif

Now, tell me to go away if I am bugging you, but if you do this, how can you generate European IP addresses for the videos? Do you have a paralell set of pages, and some widget that initially routes the user to the set depending upon IP address?

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
post May 16 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 16 2007, 03:11 PM) *
That's really cool - so you can re-generate large portions of the site from info in a DB at will, which must make it really easy to change color schemes and layouts etc yet still have static pages for performance reasons smile.gif

Now, tell me to go away if I am bugging you, but if you do this, how can you generate European IP addresses for the videos? Do you have a paralell set of pages, and some widget that initially routes the user to the set depending upon IP address?

Your not bugging me, I don't get to talk about this kind of stuff on a guitar board every day! ph34r.gif

To answer your question:
I'm using a few lines of PHP code in the "static" pages (which really are only kind of static, it's still some php in there to handle the comments and stuff like that - I probably didn't mention that before) to work out where the user is from and send him/her to the right servers.
If it was completely static pages, I would have probably set a cookie stores which server the user should use when he enters the site. When I would have used javascript to read the cookie and use it's data to go to the right server (the showing of videos mostly use javascript anyway, so that wouldn't have been that much of a hassle).

I actually hadn't thought about that second solution before you asked me, so this just proves that we learn not just by asking questions, but by getting asked questions as well smile.gif

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post
Pavel
post May 16 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #27

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

Ok after reading this i guess i better stick to playing guitar rather than studying informatics! smile.gif You guys are PRO-s!!! (i mean Andrew and Henrik)

This post has been edited by Pavel: May 16 2007, 05:04 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post May 16 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE (Henrik Skotth @ May 16 2007, 11:22 AM) *
Your not bugging me, I don't get to talk about this kind of stuff on a guitar board every day! ph34r.gif

To answer your question:
I'm using a few lines of PHP code in the "static" pages (which really are only kind of static, it's still some php in there to handle the comments and stuff like that - I probably didn't mention that before) to work out where the user is from and send him/her to the right servers.
If it was completely static pages, I would have probably set a cookie stores which server the user should use when he enters the site. When I would have used javascript to read the cookie and use it's data to go to the right server (the showing of videos mostly use javascript anyway, so that wouldn't have been that much of a hassle).

I actually hadn't thought about that second solution before you asked me, so this just proves that we learn not just by asking questions, but by getting asked questions as well smile.gif

Cool, thanks for explaining - no more questions for now smile.gif In my day to day job, I am not really a web programmer, but I do my best to distort any assignment I am given so that it looks web like and requires me to design a system smile.gif I recently spent a glorious 6 months seconded to our engineering department designing and building a portal for our product - I needed an excuse to give Ruby on Rails a try! Before that I had my own company that built a Java Servlet/JSP app, and I also play with Perl a lot, so I guess web design is my other hobby aprt from guitar!

QUOTE (Pavel @ May 16 2007, 12:03 PM) *
Ok after reading this i guess i better stick to playing guitar rather than studying informatics! smile.gif You guys are PRO-s!!! (i mean Andrew and Henrik)

laugh.gif with your guitar skills, you don't need a degree (other than just to say you did it!) - the rest of us have to work for a living sad.gif (I don't regard making money at guitar as working - its just pure coolness!)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Henrik Skotth
post May 17 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (Pavel @ May 16 2007, 06:03 PM) *

cool.gif

To be honest, the reason is more experience than "pure skill". Andrew has been working with this kind of stuff since the dawn of time (or something like that? tongue.gif) and I've been doing it for quite a while as well!

So, just like when you're learning to play the guitar, you can't know everything from one day to the next - it takes practice and experience (not that I know everything or something like that - but I'm working on it wink.gif )

So don't see that as a reason not to study informatics (becoming a professional guitar player, now that is a good reason! biggrin.gif )

--------------------
Tech manager @ GMC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 07:10 AM