Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gibson Revolution ?!
Praetorian
post Nov 10 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #21

Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.521

Let's not forget the Coffin guitar! Or is that just Epiphone?

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
post Nov 10 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #22

Experienced Tone Seeker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.135

I knew when Praetorian chimed in, it was gonna be good. The coffin. Yup, another classic! *groan*

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Fran
post Nov 10 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #23

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Nov 10 2010, 02:33 AM) *
Let's not forget the Coffin guitar! Or is that just Epiphone?

It's an epi.
Best thing about that one is its coffin-case, I'm still waiting the day I see someone carrying one of those in the street laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Nov 10 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #24

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Fran @ Nov 10 2010, 10:39 AM) *
It's an epi.
I'm still waiting the day I see someone carrying one of those in the street laugh.gif

...on his way to a funeral gig ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 12 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Man, I understand what they wanted to do here, but revolution? This is very poor attempt as far as I'm concerned. I've seen a LOT better guitars from private luthiers, who's working for Gibson as a guitar designer? What effects can they place on that little chip? Today's processors are struggling with 2A rack units to get a decent sound. I suppose guitars WILL follow this concept in the future, but this is not revolution at all.

Gibson, the company with such a big tradition, makes this funny shape, and these funny effects? Onboard AD/DA? Gibson - placing on their official site this:

"a fantastically high bit depth and resolution that there are virtually no truncation errors or other artifacts, truly preserving the analog quality of the original signal"

What's that bit depth again? This is what I would expect from Behr, not Gibson..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Nov 12 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #26

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 12 2010, 12:03 AM) *
... Onboard AD/DA? Gibson - placing on their official site this:

"a fantastically high bit depth and resolution that there are virtually no truncation errors or other artifacts, truly preserving the analog quality of the original signal"

What's that bit depth again? This is what I would expect from Behr, not Gibson..

Seems a bit of a shame that the Gibson techie info is dubious.

Truncation is not an artifact.

Bit depth and resolution do not directly lead to truncation errors. Truncation occurs when you reduce bit depth, and is normally dealt with by dithering. In some (very few) musical cases hard truncation can produce better audio than dithering.

No digital signal 'truly preserves the analogue quality of the original signal'. It just can't regardless of how high a bit depth and resolution you have.

I haven't looked to see what bit depth and resolution the Gibson has but IMHO all it needs at most is 24 bit and 48k. An electric guitar does not need anything like the 144dB dynamic range of 24 bit so any more is just a waste. The frequency range for an electric guitar is mostly low mid with harmonics and character extending up in to the high mid 1-6kHz range. 48k would set the Nyquist up at 24k and so again is plenty even is you do a 2x upsample. Anything more than 2x is pretty pointless for electric guitar.

Again most pro studio outboard runs at 24 bit fixed. Any other bit depth requires conversion and can lead to truncation issues. So again because of this the best bit depth for Gibson to use would be 24 fixed.

Again I don't know how Gibson and distributing the digital signal - I assume they are using on-board DA. If they are then they should also give an on-board option to bypass the DA and take a direct digital signal out. So you can have analogue to feed traditional amps and consoles and digital direct to a pc and DAW. If there is no bypass then potentially you will do multiple, unnecessary AD/DA conversion just to get the signal in to a DAW.

If they are providing a digital out then what's the interface? Most pro studios would want digital AES/EBU XLR but very few project/home set ups use this and would probably want a simple USB, s-pdif or Toslink lightpipe.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 12 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

It seems that onboard converter is contained on this small chip here.

I've also read on one review that battery time is around 4 hours. Not good at all.. Perhaps they should consider with external power adapter or something, possibly through special guitar cable. It would mean a lot I mean..

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 12 2010, 03:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
newguyatgmc
post Nov 14 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #28

GMC:er

Member No.: 7.370

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 9 2010, 03:16 AM) *
The tone of their guitars is still unrivaled! It's also the reson the company hasn't gone bankrupt by now...

Okay ...I gotta say this now....

Based on what ZaKK said, I was really keen on trying these guitars myself just to check the tone factor. I have always seen people playing gibson but never tried one myself.

So, I went to the guitar centre and tested a few high end SGs($1300 and $2000 ). I also tried a few Les Pauls ($2500 and above).

I was testing them on a Mesa Boogie amp....and my god the tone was juuuuuuuuussssssssst amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.......It felt so powerful...I loved it....I felt that the SG was bit more comfortable to play but the tone was just so awesome from both models it was like a revelation....I was so tempted to buy it...but I thought I will wait before I do the right research....

Any ways it was a lot of fun to play those guitars.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Nov 14 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #29

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

It's incredible how much better the Gibson Version of a similar guitar sounds! Just compare an ESP Eclipse Full Thickness (which is a great guitar) with it's Gibson equivalent, the Les Paul Custom. The diffrence in tone is amazing although hardware, contstruction and wood are essentially the same!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
newguyatgmc
post Nov 14 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7.370

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 14 2010, 10:08 AM) *
It's incredible how much better the Gibson Version of a similar guitar sounds! Just compare an ESP Eclipse Full Thickness (which is a great guitar) with it's Gibson equivalent, the Les Paul Custom. The diffrence in tone is amazing although hardware, contstruction and wood are essentially the same!

Yes,u are right. I actually tried that model too. There is huge difference. Gibson has a remarkably amazing sustain. ESP is nowhere close

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Nov 14 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 11.477

errr.. first this maybe in few years, we'll all gonna start to play on digital guitars mellow.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Nov 14 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #32

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 5.185

When I am reading about Gibson superiority I feel like I am doing something wrong having a schecter dry.gif Also buying any new guitar from another brand seems like a huge mistake, considering how pathetic the guitar would be in compare to Gibson wacko.gif I assume this is true, although it is hard to believe that other companies didn't figure out how to make a comparable guitars in so many years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
post Nov 14 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #33

Learning Tone Master
Group Icon

Group: MVC
Member No.: 2.164

Oh Gibsons are nowhere comparable to the build quality of an ESP, Ibanez or Jackson guitar!
Actually the quality control on Gibson guitars is pretty low and the quality of the finish and woodwork are quite bad for the price you pay!

Gibson advertises these flaws as: They are made by hand, not machines!

But high end Jacksons, Ibanez and other brands are also manufactured by hand any they have a much higher standard in quality.
Also Gibson guitars are pretty pre-historic if you compare them to more modern guitars: fat necks, small scale length, outdated manufacturing (the way LP headstocks are gluedto the neck for example), almost no floyd rose guitars and so on.

The only reason to buy a Gibson is because of their tone (they seem to have the best supply of tone woods). If you want a high quality guitar with a flawless finish that is easy to play on, then you are wrong with Gibson!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Jasonius
post Nov 15 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 10.953

I'm assuming these new Gibson guitars are more like fancy toys similiar to digital modelling amps . They make neat sounds, but nobody would gig with one on stage. I'm probably wrong, but it will be interesting to see if any pros endorse this one.
I actually don't mind the look of this new Firebird. Not like the "Dusk Tiger". That thing was downright tacky looking.

@Zakk The finish on my LP Traditional is mind blowing. No glued on headstock either. Have to admit that my Ibanez prestige is nicer. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
post Nov 15 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #35

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.338

Wow, that's a beautiful LP indeed Jasonius smile.gif

Those flamed maple tops are gorgeous.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Nov 17 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #36

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 14 2010, 07:40 PM) *
Oh Gibsons are nowhere comparable to the build quality of an ESP, Ibanez or Jackson guitar!
Actually the quality control on Gibson guitars is pretty low and the quality of the finish and woodwork are quite bad for the price you pay!

But high end Jacksons, Ibanez and other brands are also manufactured by hand any they have a much higher standard in quality.
Also Gibson guitars are pretty pre-historic if you compare them to more modern guitars: fat necks, small scale length, outdated manufacturing (the way LP headstocks are gluedto the neck for example), almost no floyd rose guitars and so on.

The only reason to buy a Gibson is because of their tone (they seem to have the best supply of tone woods). If you want a high quality guitar with a flawless finish that is easy to play on, then you are wrong with Gibson!

I wouldn't go that far, although there is a strong point there. Gibson guitars are nicely made, there aren't that many faults. And there is a reason why they still use outdated manufacturing - bullet proof design that is still one of the best in guitar world. I agree on the tone, and I would add that playing Gibson is not hard at all, at least not for me or for much of the people I've spoken too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Nov 17 2010, 01:09 AM
Post #37

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 10.329

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 14 2010, 01:40 PM) *

I didn't know Gibson started to glue the headstock onto the neck now, but I know exactly why they started doing it. Gibsons don't have neck volutes, so this system actually strengthens the neck and prevents the headstock from breaking off, something Gibsons are prone to. Glue is much stronger than wood, and without a neck volute, that glued joint is much stronger than any wood could ever be.

Ed Roman, a famous guitar luthier here in the US, has fixed hundreds of snapped Gibson necks. He suggests that its actually better to break the headstock off and glue it back on, thereby making the neck stronger than it ever was.

Check out this article by Ed Roman about Gibson necks:

Les Paul Necks

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 09:57 PM