Religious Names For Bands And Songs
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 11 2010, 02:02 PM
GMC Founder
Using religious names for bands and songs. Many have done it, some have drawn negative attention with it and others more positive. Who succeeded and who didn't?

Don't miss today's rocking lesson covering Avenged Sevenfold - which means "the first murder on earth" ph34r.gif - if I got it right!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 11 2010, 02:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Books from the bible...

Genesis - the band
Exodus - Bob Marley track and LP

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Dec 11 2010, 05:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Judas Priest!

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 11 2010, 05:44 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
And most obvious... Bad Religion! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 11 2010, 05:58 PM
Instructor
my own little band biggrin.gif The Faith Fanatics tongue.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 11 2010, 06:31 PM
Instructor
Hmm, good question..

Rotting Christ ?
Deicide (Means the murder of a God - Does that count ?)

I think it's fair to say they've drawn a lot of negative attention from religious groups etc.. but I don't think it's harmed their careers.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 11 2010, 07:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Does Nazareth count? Lamb of God used to be called Burn the Priest. I remember they were banned from playing at a venue in my home state of Massachusetts because that venue was owned by a Christian fundamentalist. This was after they changed their name, but apparently people hold grudges wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Dec 11 2010, 07:01 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 11 2010, 07:20 PM
GMC:er
How about my old band "GNOSTIC"? (I played lead on their first Demo) Which featured the drummer from, wait for it "ATHEIST". I kid you not.

GNOSTIC comes from the word GNOSIS meaning Knowledge. (different from Agnostic meaning "without knowledge" of God. as in the band Agnostic Front)

Religious names and themes show up a ton in Hard Rock and Heavy Metal and for good reason. They carry wads of cultural baggage that can act as a sort of referential shorthand. If you see a band called "Apocolypse" it automatically draws on meaning and ideas that are well known and saves the band from having to establish it before hand. If the same band was called "Jacobs Ladder" or "Arch Angel" the immediate perception of what they are about would way different even though both could have to do with the same thing.

In short I think it's a handy device for songs/bands whatever to convey a great deal of meaning in minimum amount of communication. So much religious iconography and lore is simply ingrained in us that it's hard for it not to carry some sort of meaning. It's hard not to feel somehow connected to religious symbology/iconography etc. so there is an immediate familiarity there which can be played with or against. E.g. Cross pointed up Inverted Cross. Such things make great narrative devices and music at it's best always tells a story.

Todd

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 11 2010, 07:57 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm a Christian. I know of some bands that I listen to who have given their bands names for the reason of getting positive effects. Of course, they appeal to others who are Christians.

Casting Crowns - Some believe they when we get to heaven, we will cast our crowns (rewards) before God in honor because it is all His anyway. I'm not for certain; the Bible isn't very clear on that. It's mentioned in Revelation. I think it's possible.
Third Day - Jesus, the Christ, rose on the third day to prove death had no victory over Him.
33 Miles - This represents the 33 years Jesus was here on the earth during His ministry.

These are off the top of my head. I know there's many more. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 11 2010, 08:52 PM
GMC:er
there's a guitarist that uses a religious name . "John 5" cool.gif

Edit ; john 5 is the fifth chapter of the Gospel of John of the New Testament of the Christian Bible.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 12 2010, 02:52 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2010, 10:17 PM
Instructor
Testament! biggrin.gif \m/ >< \m/

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:09 AM