Kristofer Dahl
post Dec 16 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #1

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

It's not fair!!

Does growing up in the culture of specific style of music give you an unfair advantage?

Come check out Jonathan's new lesson,"KennyWayne Shepherd Phrasing". Kenny Wayne Shepard grew up in the backyard of blues of Louisiana and already has a soaring career as a blues guitarist.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Dec 16 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 7.694

Definitely. No one can play like those Cuban trobadores. But maybe on an instrument it's not that unfair because you can still work your way towards somewhere near the original players.

Now singing is really another thing. I guess also because of physiological reasons.

Also Paul Gilbert has double size fingers so that's not fair. But, Shawn Lane had small hands, so. biggrin.gif

Visit my:

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
+Quote Post
post Dec 16 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.696

Just as unfair as Africans growing up in a society ruined by western capitalism
+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Dec 16 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #4

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

If I remember correctly Olivier Messiaen spent many years in the far east listening to Eastern instruments and non-Western notions of music, particularly Javanese and Hindu. Because of this he moved away from Western composition and scales and introduced micro tonality, poly-rhythm, Eastern instrumentation, etc in to his works.

Another example of breaking away from a musical cultural heritage would be John McLaughlin who broke from Western scales etc by studying Indian ragas etc.

Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 30 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Although people usually say you can work your way through anything, and that can indeed be true in general sense, I say, there is certainly genetics and other factors involved in musicality of humans. I would certainly play different if I was born in Louisiana than in Serbia biggrin.gif

- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Dec 31 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

Yes I think so too. Its like with football or anything. When we are young environment has great influence on our future. If we are exposed to certain style of music for generations we are more likely to have it in the "genes". Whether we want it or not - sometimes we can't escape from this influence. Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes isn't.

For GMC support please email support (at)
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta
+Quote Post
post Jan 1 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #7

Learning Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.623

Unfair? No. But of course there is a difference in culture. If you have a mind that wants to play something else than you find all around you, the mind would want difference no matter where you grow up. If you grow up in India wanting to play Swedish traditional music, you would not want to play Swedish traditional music if you grew up in Sweden. Its the exoticness that draws you inn.
Everything that you like is the result of the environment that you grew up in, and if you love something, then that is the best thing in the world. There are too many people that doesn't love anything at all. But it is up to you to divulge into it by getting to wherever on the planet you have to go to be able to divulge into it. If you grew up in that area, you might not find it interesting at all. So I would be grateful for enjoying it. smile.gif
Besides, if you are playing blues, then growing up in, say an himalayan village with a population of 200, might just give you the unique perspective on the genre that you need to become an interesting player. It would be much tougher for the mainstream Louisiana blues player to bring something new to the table, having grown up with the music he likes all around him. He wouldnt search for exoticness no matter where he grew up.
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2016 - 04:58 PM