Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem With Pod Ux1
SubbedChris
post Jan 2 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.576

So the problem is that when Im recording something..it sounds very different from what it sounded when I played.I dont know why this happens but the tone is much better when I first play the guitar than the recorded file... How can I fix that? :\ I use a Pod Ux1 as I mentioned already and to record I use Reaper. Thanks!! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jan 2 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (SubbedChris @ Jan 2 2011, 04:44 PM) *
So the problem is that when Im recording something..it sounds very different from what it sounded when I played.I dont know why this happens but the tone is much better when I first play the guitar than the recorded file... How can I fix that? :\ I use a Pod Ux1 as I mentioned already and to record I use Reaper. Thanks!! smile.gif

Hmmm it has to do with the way you record in Reaper. POD UX1 if I remember correctly has two outputs (send 1-2 and send 3-4). One of those two is dry guitar signal and other one is effected signal (from Pod Farm). See in the Reaper which output you are recording/capturing.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
post Jan 2 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

Hey Bogdan thanks for answering!! Its has two outputs just as you said but.... I dont use either of them sad.gif I instantly plug the guitar cable and the usb...thats the only two things I use on the Pod UX1...I dont even what purpose the outputs serve tongue.gif Well, obviously something's not right here.. right? tongue.gif

As far as Reaper's concerned,at the preferences section (Audio,Device Section) it says First Output 1,Last Outpus 2 so I dont really know what's going on.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jan 2 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (SubbedChris @ Jan 2 2011, 05:31 PM) *
Hey Bogdan thanks for answering!! Its has two outputs just as you said but.... I dont use either of them sad.gif I instantly plug the guitar cable and the usb...thats the only two things I use on the Pod UX1...I dont even what purpose the outputs serve tongue.gif Well, obviously something's not right here.. right? tongue.gif

As far as Reaper's concerned,at the preferences section (Audio,Device Section) it says First Output 1,Last Outpus 2 so I dont really know what's going on.

Hmm unfortunately I'm flying blind here as I don't have my UX2 at hand. But, when I said outputs I meant those inside the "software" not physical ones on the unit. When you make a new track in Reaper, click on the button "in" next to the little sound speaker icon on the audio track controls (its bellow the volume slider on the track). There you'll find which inputs/outputs you are capturing. Try finding something like "Send 1-2" and "Send 3-4" from UX1. Try switching between to see which gives you which sound. UX1 has option to internally allow you to record dry or effected guitar signal or both. It takes some time to learn how to use all those features, don't worry.

--------------------
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
post Jan 2 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

Thanks for the reply Bogdan!! Sorry to keep asking for even more details but just to be on the safe side... tongue.gif I clicked on the in option and it gave me several options..on of them was Record:Output and the options that popped then are the following

Record:Output (multichannel,latency compensated)
......................(multichannel)
......................(stereo,latency compensated)
......................(stereo)
......................(mono,latency compensated)
......................(mono)
......................(MIDI)

Is this what you meant?

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 2 2011, 04:40 PM) *
But, when I said outputs I meant those inside the "software" not physical ones on the unit.

Hahahahah I felt really stupid when I read that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jan 2 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (SubbedChris @ Jan 2 2011, 05:52 PM) *
Thanks for the reply Bogdan!! Sorry to keep asking for even more details but just to be on the safe side... tongue.gif I clicked on the in option and it gave me several options..on of them was Record:Output and the options that popped then are the following

Record:Output (multichannel,latency compensated)
......................(multichannel)
......................(stereo,latency compensated)
......................(stereo)
......................(mono,latency compensated)
......................(mono)
......................(MIDI)

Is this what you meant?

Hahahahah I felt really stupid when I read that biggrin.gif

You need to select there :

Record : Input
and bellow you'll find
Mono input with two options > Send 1 and Send 2

Try selecting one and recording, then select Send 2 and see what happens.

If both give same results do this :

Go to Options (where File, Edit etc is) > preferences > Audio device > select ASIO for audio system and bellow Asio Driver : Pod studio ux1
Bellow you'll find option of Enable inputs for : First (send 1) and Last (select send 4)

If you go back to the mono inputs options you'll now find send 3 and 4 there. Try selecting 3 and then 4 to see if records effected signal.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
post Jan 2 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

Sorry to tell you this Bogdan but everything's just the same sad.gif All 4 of them produce the same result...its like making the tone of the guitar in the final recorded file a LOT heavier than it really is.Maybe the problem lies somewhere else?

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
post Jan 3 2011, 03:44 AM
Post #8

Learning Rock Star

Guys please any other ideas maybe? :\ I've used the POD for 6 months and I've always known I made crappy recordings but lately the previous month I realized that the tone is altered once recorded.Please help me solve that smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 6 2011, 03:07 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Are you using your POD UX1 as your sound card? By posting that you didn't use outputs on UX1, I suspect you are using integrated sound card, or other sound card then UX1.

Anyway, what ever seems to be the problem, check out the picture and do step by step:

1. Plugin your PC speakers to your UX1 interface (use analog outs 2/R and 1/L)
2. if you don't have appropriate cables, buy cable adapters, they are available in any bigger cable/electronic store
3. In Windows (not sure what Windows you are using) set the UX1 as your default sound card
4. In Reaper choose POD UX1 as your ASIO sound card (Go to Options>Preferences>Audio Device>Choose ASIO>Choose POD UX1)

UX1 device sends two pairs of audio streams to Reaper, one pair is processed and one unprocessed. Once you have POD Farm running, you can see what sends you are sending into Reaper. Try testing these sounds in reaper, make some test recordings and post what you find out.

Let me know if something is unclear here, or if you need additional help, we'll be glad to help.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
post Jan 7 2011, 09:51 AM
Post #10

Learning Rock Star

Hey Ivan thanks for your reply!!! Well there is only one cable running from my speakers which I plug into the Speaker socket that is next to the guitar and microphone ones and not in the two outs you mentioned sad.gif Would that be a problem? The speakers do nothing but transfer to my ears what I play with the guitar and takes no part in the recording process right??

Well yeah I have my soundcard selected as Pod UX1 both in Windows and Reaper.. anyway I'll post a recording of a lesson here in GMC to see for yourself how the tone sounds like smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 9 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (SubbedChris @ Jan 7 2011, 09:51 AM) *
Hey Ivan thanks for your reply!!! Well there is only one cable running from my speakers which I plug into the Speaker socket that is next to the guitar and microphone ones and not in the two outs you mentioned sad.gif Would that be a problem? The speakers do nothing but transfer to my ears what I play with the guitar and takes no part in the recording process right??

Well yeah I have my soundcard selected as Pod UX1 both in Windows and Reaper.. anyway I'll post a recording of a lesson here in GMC to see for yourself how the tone sounds like smile.gif

Aha, you are using phones output for speakers. That is fine mate, that shouldn't be a problem, the sound should be less-more the same.

Let's hear that recording so we can perhaps establish the issue! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jan 18 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (SubbedChris @ Jan 7 2011, 09:51 AM) *

Hmmm post a take here, it can be audio too. I'm not sure what you are referring to as we covered everything in this thread. I'm running out of ideas smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
post Feb 5 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #13

Learning Rock Star

Hey guyzzz sorry for the HUGE delay but with the studies and all I didn't really have much time so I couldn't upload anything smile.gif Well today I managed to record this lesson from GMC....

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ies-in-d-major/

Well here you can see how the sound is like...just as I have mentioned above the guitar doesnt sound like that!!! All the recording is nothing like the tone of the guitar when Im playing...especially the palm muting part which sounds more terrible than the rest biggrin.gif Though the whole thing is really crappy...what could be the cause? sad.gif

Attached File  Sweet_Melodies_Carlos_Cover_.mp3 ( 667.44K ) Number of downloads: 180

+Quote Post
kahall
post Feb 6 2011, 05:35 AM
Post #14

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

QUOTE (SubbedChris @ Feb 5 2011, 03:27 PM) *
Hey guyzzz sorry for the HUGE delay but with the studies and all I didn't really have much time so I couldn't upload anything smile.gif Well today I managed to record this lesson from GMC....

[..]

Are you using POD farm or Gear Box software as well as Reaper? That is what I do and can tell you how to set those up if you are using them. I struggle getting a good recording with my Line 6 device to, but have gotten better over time at tweaking it.

The sound on your recording was not that bad either but probably does not sound like what you are playing live.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
post Feb 6 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #15

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (kahall @ Feb 6 2011, 04:35 AM) *
Are you using POD farm or Gear Box software as well as Reaper? That is what I do and can tell you how to set those up if you are using them. I struggle getting a good recording with my Line 6 device to, but have gotten better over time at tweaking it.

The sound on your recording was not that bad either but probably does not sound like what you are playing live.

No I don't have Gearbox I have Pod Studio UX1 and Reaper as my recording software smile.gif Well yeah you could tell me a good set-up on Pod Farm if you're familiar with it but what good would it do if it sounds the same once recorded? sad.gif I want first to fix this problem and then I could use some tips about nice tones.

+Quote Post
kahall
post Feb 6 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #16

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

QUOTE (SubbedChris @ Feb 6 2011, 03:07 AM) *
No I don't have Gearbox I have Pod Studio UX1 and Reaper as my recording software smile.gif Well yeah you could tell me a good set-up on Pod Farm if you're familiar with it but what good would it do if it sounds the same once recorded? sad.gif I want first to fix this problem and then I could use some tips about nice tones.

See if this makes any sense or helps you out.
http://allthosewires.com/index.php/2011/02...-reaper-set-up/
To hard to try to post here so I just put it on my blog for the win.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 2 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

Can you post some samples of that?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2017 - 06:58 AM