2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Rock And Roll Is Dead, ...Or so this article suggests
Mudbone
Jan 11 2011, 08:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Read and share your thoughts biggrin.gif

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jan/1...read-last-rites

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 11 2011, 09:53 AM
GMC:er
only got one thing to said.

as long as there is one person listening to a good rock song, rock will never die!!

edit: spelling ..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 11 2011, 11:02 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 11 2011, 10:56 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just because last year rock didn't sell it doesn't mean it's dead! smile.gif

I bet they sold even less death metal records, and it sure isn't dead.

As long as there are rock bands (famous or not), and people listening to rock (whether they buy records or not), rock will be alive. So I guess it's far from death. smile.gif

Maybe the media and big companies are trying to lure the population to listen to whatever gives faster profit. That sure won't deter me from listening to the music I love cool.gif

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 11 2011, 09:53 AM) *
only got one thing to said.

as long is there one person listen to a good rock song, rock will never die!!

+1 cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 11 2011, 11:21 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
As someone says in that article rock music tends to be focused on album rather than singles sales: singles chart is more pop music orientated.

Maybe Gambacini´s best point is that the major labels are focusing now more than ever before on a quick return and hence more on the Singles Charts and pop orientated music than on longer term investment.

One other thing that would be worth looking at is the growth in compilation/remastering/re-releasing previously recorded material vs original, new material in the album charts. From an ME point of view the former has gone from being very little to something in the region of 30% of our routine work over the last few years.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jan 11 2011, 11:37 AM
Learning Tone Master
"That doesn't mean there will be no more good rock musicians, but rock as a prevailing style is part of music history."

And yes, rock tends to go for albums, but as the article also sais, album sales and going down year by year. Will the roles will ever turn, with there being 3 pop songs and the rest being rock and metal? When was the last time a newcomer in rock n roll "took everyone with storm"?
It is a good article. It does show the state of rock in the popular arena today, and it ends with it being likely that we are going into a turnabout soon. Pop has reigned for a long time, but music does change, and it cycles. But who knows, maybe some new obscure music genre that is yet to be created is going to take over everything. Would be interesting smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2011, 12:15 PM
Instructor
What a load of cack. Written by people who never listen or support rock music when it is doing well commercially anyway. Of course it's not dead.. and it never will be. A piece of music doesn't need people to listen to it or buy it for it to exist.

As for certain genres not doing as well commercially due to the state of the industry, well that's a completely different story... but dead ? Crap, crap, crap. Rock never needed approval from the media to exist.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 11 2011, 02:56 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 11 2011, 11:15 AM) *
Rock never needed approval from the media to exist.

AMEN

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2011, 02:56 PM
In terms of "CHART POSITION" Rock and Metal are at a low point. But so what? I've always felt that the best Rock/Metal happens when done in a very underground way. Free from suits, labels, etc. When Rock/Metal was topping the charts, some of it was simply awful. With much of the best being done by bands that didn't have HUGE sales.

Let's not confuse commercial viability with artistic viability.

These are very different things. If commercial viability was all that mattered, we would change the name of this site to RAP/POP MasterClass.net and have articles on using AUTO TUNE and how to wear your new Lady Gaga Meat Dress. Thankfully, this is not the case.

With the expansion of technology, now there is no significant barrier to entry. Everyone that wants to can write, record and release music. This is a great time to be a musician and a lover of music.

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jan 11 2011, 03:06 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 11 2011, 11:15 AM) *
What a load of cack.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jan 11 2011, 08:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 11 2011, 04:56 AM) *
I bet they sold even less death metal records, and it sure isn't dead.

Well actually, in its own special way, death metal is dead, otherwise it wouldn't be death metal biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 11 2011, 10:41 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jan 11 2011, 08:48 PM) *
Well actually, in its own special way, death metal is dead, otherwise it wouldn't be death metal biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif I guess I chose the best possible example tongue.gif

Even death metal is still alive man! cool.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 11 2011, 11:31 PM
Instructor
Naah... RN'R is about having fun with other friends and people, so it will never die!

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jan 11 2011, 08:48 PM) *

Good one laugh.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 12 2011, 12:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jan 11 2011, 08:36 AM) *

This is what happened to rock
first ,the great showmanship left and went to country -sad but most shows look like my old garage band practices
yes I know that there some that still do

and society has become -give me now and give it quickly
it has become fickle

the band the deserves the credit for bringing rock back the last time was-you might not like this but- Creed
and yet look where rockers have discarded them to
our minds change to quickly

so it might mellow for a little while,and while it does , the rock faithful will keep rockin until the fickle like it and it becomes the new thing to be into, and then it will mellow and I will still be there rockin , or at least trying to learn that elusive lick so I can rock blink.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 12 2011, 12:38 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Wow, thats a lot of BS. I'm impressed and disgusted.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 12 2011, 02:41 AM
Instructor
Let's hear what Ozzy has to say about that biggrin.gif

(inappropriate language used)

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 12 2011, 03:35 AM
I have not watched/listened/viewed what is called journalism in any form since 2004. I have missed nothing worth knowing. Those guys just make you all the the more stupid if you pay any attention to them. Quality journalism from about the 1920's (in the US at least), and then for about 50 years was a fluke, there are books who theorize why that occurred. The norm throughout human history has been trivial crap. And that has been the case now in all its forms for at least 2 decades.

People are bored with music because there is little creativity. Some would disagree, they would be wrong, but they would disagree. Even a lot of young people who have known nothing but what has been presented over the past few decades feel the same way, I have heard that frequently from college aged kids.

I came across this list today on youtube. The way it happened, I was wanting to watch this obscure 1930's movie on youtube, and in the search a Blind Guardian song came up. It was called Mirror Mirror. I thought it was real nice. But they have been around awhile. Some guy wrote a funny comment, it was kind of hilarious, he got 54 thumbs up in just a few days.

"One of the greatest intros ever. Absolutely f***ing epic. This is what I'd play when marching into a war, me vs 100,000 soldiers and a fucking HUGE dragon or some shit. See a cape floating in the wind, then the camera circles around the huge army with the dragon etc and then you see this 1 lone warrior walking up to them all, with a super shiny badass sword in hand. F***ing epic. "

Anyway I went to that guy's site, and he had this list of the top 10 metal bands, and I listened. Sure they were nice, but sorry, they pretty much sounded alike to me in most respects. The differences were there, but you could put them all under the same classification.

That is the problem, nobody wants to be different today. Guys lock into some esoteric niche, but there are already many in the niche, they just become one of the gang. When people are really creative, you can't apply a tag to them. If you can, they are not original, unless they were first. 10 bands can't be first. So people are just bored because we live in a very conforming culture. The most conforming culture in history probably. Nobody want to be an individual, and do something that is really different, but that still has a lot of appeal to the public.

Maybe that will change. But I don't know, TV and the entertainment industry have a strangle hold on the public. I quit watching TV and the news 6 years ago. I quit cigarettes 15 years ago. I don't want either back, I look on the pretty much the same, one destroys you body, the other your mind.

So how you you young guys find creativity? Look into yourself. Nobody can show you. Well not exactly, you can find help, but you will probably be finding help from sources where nobody else is looking for help. You will know when you have found it, if it is kick ass, and is not like anything else anyone has heard before. Well that is hard to do. I myself just try to sound nice. But I think only certain people ever have that creative talent, and they are as surprised as much as anyone when it manifests itself in them. I don't think you can force it. All you can force is playing real nice. Not creativity. But watching TV or paying attention to journalists is surely not going to help in the process, unless you think Lady Gaga is a creative genius, and that Sarah Palin has great leadership qualities.

edit: crap that was long. I went off in that steam of consciousness mode, but I will leave it be, I like it, but it is too long.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 12 2011, 03:44 AM

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Jan 13 2011, 02:40 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
You've just spoken from my heart, man!

+1000000

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jan 12 2011, 03:35 AM) *
I have not watched/listened/viewed what is called journalism in any form since 2004. I have missed nothing worth knowing. Those guys just make you all the the more stupid if you pay any attention to them. Quality journalism from about the 1920's (in the US at least), and then for about 50 years was a fluke, there are books who theorize why that occurred. The norm throughout human history has been trivial crap. And that has been the case now in all its forms for at least 2 decades.

People are bored with music because there is little creativity. Some would disagree, they would be wrong, but they would disagree. Even a lot of young people who have known nothing but what has been presented over the past few decades feel the same way, I have heard that frequently from college aged kids.

I came across this list today on youtube. The way it happened, I was wanting to watch this obscure 1930's movie on youtube, and in the search a Blind Guardian song came up. It was called Mirror Mirror. I thought it was real nice. But they have been around awhile. Some guy wrote a funny comment, it was kind of hilarious, he got 54 thumbs up in just a few days.

"One of the greatest intros ever. Absolutely f***ing epic. This is what I'd play when marching into a war, me vs 100,000 soldiers and a fucking HUGE dragon or some shit. See a cape floating in the wind, then the camera circles around the huge army with the dragon etc and then you see this 1 lone warrior walking up to them all, with a super shiny badass sword in hand. F***ing epic. "

Anyway I went to that guy's site, and he had this list of the top 10 metal bands, and I listened. Sure they were nice, but sorry, they pretty much sounded alike to me in most respects. The differences were there, but you could put them all under the same classification.

That is the problem, nobody wants to be different today. Guys lock into some esoteric niche, but there are already many in the niche, they just become one of the gang. When people are really creative, you can't apply a tag to them. If you can, they are not original, unless they were first. 10 bands can't be first. So people are just bored because we live in a very conforming culture. The most conforming culture in history probably. Nobody want to be an individual, and do something that is really different, but that still has a lot of appeal to the public.

Maybe that will change. But I don't know, TV and the entertainment industry have a strangle hold on the public. I quit watching TV and the news 6 years ago. I quit cigarettes 15 years ago. I don't want either back, I look on the pretty much the same, one destroys you body, the other your mind.

So how you you young guys find creativity? Look into yourself. Nobody can show you. Well not exactly, you can find help, but you will probably be finding help from sources where nobody else is looking for help. You will know when you have found it, if it is kick ass, and is not like anything else anyone has heard before. Well that is hard to do. I myself just try to sound nice. But I think only certain people ever have that creative talent, and they are as surprised as much as anyone when it manifests itself in them. I don't think you can force it. All you can force is playing real nice. Not creativity. But watching TV or paying attention to journalists is surely not going to help in the process, unless you think Lady Gaga is a creative genius, and that Sarah Palin has great leadership qualities.

edit: crap that was long. I went off in that steam of consciousness mode, but I will leave it be, I like it, but it is too long.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 13 2011, 04:23 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 12 2011, 12:12 AM) *

and society has become -give me now and give it quickly
it has become fickle

´All that is solid melts in to air.´
Marshall Berman

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 14 2011, 02:46 AM
Instructor
if we are gonna let TV/radio dictate what is alive or dead....we'll be dead soon!

to me is pretty obvious that these lists don't reflect people's real tastes and opinions at all! it's like crystal clear!

there's fabrication going on behind them. But of course this is not new. Anyway, interesting topic!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jan 14 2011, 05:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
Don't fixate on the dead part, there's more to the article smile.gif

Parts of what the article is focusing on is very valid. Not a lot of great newcomers in the rock genre lately, and as it sais, in a few years, the old guard will retire. Young guys seem to write more metal, even though that is not bought. The article is about more than album or single charts. The last great rock groups I have heard lately, have all been made by old guys. Or perhaps you have thriving examples of young rock groups getting international fame in the last few years?

The introduction and headline is written like that, exactly to create agitation among rock fans. Gets more views you know...

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jan 14 2011, 05:30 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:21 PM